PDA

View Full Version : Wondering a couple of things about the car?

Italianstallion
23-02-2010, 09:56 PM
While I'm sat at home waiting to get my 260 on the road, I've been wondering a few things about the car I've bought, so hoping to be enlightened on a few points. Most of these questions have come about from my day dreaming, so apologies if any are dumbfounded!

The V8 engine appears to have quite a more bhp headroom from what I've read in terms of bhp. My friend had a Civic Type are which put out 400+bhp, and it was a smaller engine. Is the mustang V8 restricted in someway to 260bhp, can the bhp be increased, and by what means? I'm not after more power, just curious.

Whats a supercharger and why are they so expensive? Everyone seems to want one!!! I understand they make the car faster.

Aside from the Ford Mustang, did any other cars used the same engine in the 260. What year did ford use this engine, was it end of the line for them so they decided to flog em on to MGR?

What are the main repair and maintenance costs for the V8, and is it fairly easy to service by ones self?

Does the V8 suffer with the plenum problems of the other ZT models?

Are other more modern V8 engines any more economical then this car? This engine seems to get a right ribbing in terms of economy, such as in Clarkson's review.

Really interested to learn more, and I'm sure more stuff will spring to mind so hope people don't mind answering these things, or pointing me to where they've been covered.

Thanks Stallion!!!

Manxmann
23-02-2010, 10:33 PM
The V8 engine appears to have quite a more bhp headroom from what I've read in terms of bhp. My friend had a Civic Type are which put out 400+bhp, and it was a smaller engine. Is the mustang V8 restricted in someway to 260bhp, can the bhp be increased, and by what means? I'm not after more power, just curious.

The engine in our cars is very strong and unlike many engines, e.g. the 1.8L K-Series, can take BIG power increases without needing to be modified i.e. it has a big power 'head room'

However getting that power is something all together different. 'Power' is a factor of a great many things, non of which I am an expert in. One factor high power racing 'K' series and Honda VTEC's share to get their high BHP figures is insane RPM's i.e. the VTEC redlines at 9000rpm!!! Our V8's would disintgrate long before this!

'Breathing' is also a big issue, better breathing can be achieved with more valves in the heads, bigger throttle bodies, longer duration cams etc. The biggest 'bang per buck' is forced induction i.e. blowing more air in than the engine would normally 'suck' in.

Whats a supercharger and why are they so expensive? Everyone seems to want one!!! I understand they make the car faster.

Its mechanical device that provides the 'blow' mentioned earlier, a supercharger is parasitic i.e. it connects to the engine via a belt/chain and uses engine power to operate it 'thing hairdryer on steriods'. A turbo charger again blows in air but this time it uses gases from the exhaust to power it, like the childrens 'windmils' you get at the seaside.

Aside from the Ford Mustang, did any other cars used the same engine in the 260. What year did ford use this engine, was it end of the line for them so they decided to flog em on to MGR

LOTS! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine

What are the main repair and maintenance costs for the V8, and is it fairly easy to service by ones self?

I'll leave this to the likes of scooter but from what I understand the term bullet proof springs to mind the biggest cost is 'Petrol'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYRkbYZmzNw

Does the V8 suffer with the plenum problems of the other ZT models?

Yes the plenum is there and the drains get blocked BUT the ECU is not, its inside the car, so having a portable swimming pool isn't as disaterous as on the FWD cars.

Are other more modern V8 engines any more economical then this car? This engine seems to get a right ribbing in terms of economy, such as in Clarkson's review.

YES but they don't sound the same, nothings perfect ;)

Really interested to learn more, and I'm sure more stuff will spring to mind so hope people don't mind answering these things, or pointing me to where they've been covered.

Forum search and Google are your friends

GeoffW
23-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Well Stallion here goes,

1) The engine we have is a 2 valve older design of v8, remember they don't
generally rev much ( it will last far longer than the suposidley 400 hp civic)
Yes the power can be increased but more speed = more money

2) A supercharger forces air into the engine allowing more fuel to be mixed with
it raising power up to 400hp It has to come from USA needs an inter-cooler,
and pump, remap of ECU fitting takes a while ( see Dreadnought)

3) Ford used it from 99-04 in there own mustang models,maybe cobra as well
but not sure

4) yes it is easy to service, I do mine but every now and then I get My local
MGR Garage to do the big one, then they put it on ramp and check things
like bearings and bushes etc, more of a safety thing also peace of mind :)

5) Always check for leaves and blockages , not so serious as other 75 models
as our ECU is under dash board

6) yes there are, Lexus will do about 32mpg A customer of mine had one
Tad more to buy though

Hope this helps

Italianstallion
23-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the quick and detailed answers, some really good information, I can see I'll have a good bit of researching and reading up to do, to fully understand what I've bought into. Its one thing following the 260 threads on the other forums, to become well versed with the full ins and outs. I'm the sort of person who will read up on everything and then give things a go myself, so hoping to save doing things like oil service, and breaks myself.

To be honest I'd take high fuel costs over high repair costs and hoping for some trouble free motoring to compensate for the low mpg. I've spent quite a bit of money on my ZT diesel, on things like clutch, alternator, fan etc, and found these repairs to be fairly costly. I'm still anticipating they'll be some biggies with this car.

Do you find most people who own the 260, are pretty content with its overall performance, or do those who've owned it for a while craving more, and looking for ways to squeeze more horses out? For me going from a Punto, to a ZT Diesel, and now to this, I'm sure the power will probably scare the heck out of me!!

SH4RKY
23-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Sometimes i think i want more... then in the current weather with the wet greasy roads the car will happily start going sideways down straights if i push it, even in 3rd etc. its at those times i think... no, its fine with what it has. Other times when i think it needs more (dry country roads etc), i look at the speedo and its usually the wrong side of legal and you dont really get anywhere any faster either with the amount of traffic on the roads these days, plus its just stupid in most places...

so its a bit of a yeah and no to extra power for me.... yes for annoying the likes of much faster cars and having even more torque and no becuase i just wouldnt use it in terms of where and how i drive. Maybe if i did big miles, went on track days, went to the continent etc...but tootling too and from work, what i have is more than enough.

It has a low BHP figure, but the torque figure is through the roof... try idling along in traffic in 4th in the civic, then accelerate away without changing gear. or starting from 2nd without the throttle. hell mine will even get into 4th gear from standing without the use of the throttle without shuddering or struggling too. A guy at work has an accord type R and that will stall if he tries to pull away in 1st without the use of the throttle. but as said, its a completely differnt power delivery. The hondas adore the revs, untill you get them to 5k they are pretty lifeless, then they go ballistic!! which is a right hoot. I loved my old omega for that, it was phycopathic above 5k, haha. while a v8s power delivery is more even and flat throughout the rev range so it pulls strongly but never kicks you in the ass. bit more deceptive.

grbrown
24-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Only restricted by being in a modest state of tune. Higher performance Fords use a dohc version of this engine with 4 valves per cylinder.
Its an air pump, driven by the crankshaft. Most common on dragsters, but a less radical form pops up occasionally in production cars like VW G models.
This is a legit production engine, not a scrap-heap special! It is mildly modified by Roush for its MG version.
Oil and filters. I no longer grub around cars these days (alright for you young whippersnappers!), so I get a man to do mine.
Pass!
Quite possibly, but this engine enjoys that American trait of TORQUE, rather than power. Clarkson quite liked it!I owned a V8 Aston Martin some years ago. The best advise I received while shopping for one is not to bother about fuel consumption, otherwise I would never drive it. I don't recall it often getting above 10mpg, so what are you bothered about?!

A word on turbos. There is a myth that because a supercharger is belt driven, while a turbo is gas-driven, that a turbo gives 'free' performance. That is not so! They are both parasitic and sap power from the donor engine in order to improve it. An optimised turbo engine is in a very different state of tune compared with a ditto normally aspirated one.

Italianstallion
24-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Only restricted by being in a modest state of tune. Higher performance Fords use a dohc version of this engine with 4 valves per cylinder.
Its an air pump, driven by the crankshaft. Most common on dragsters, but a less radical form pops up occasionally in production cars like VW G models.
This is a legit production engine, not a scrap-heap special! It is mildly modified by Roush for its MG version.
Oil and filters. I no longer grub around cars these days (alright for you young whippersnappers!), so I get a man to do mine.
Pass!
Quite possibly, but this engine enjoys that American trait of TORQUE, rather than power. Clarkson quite liked it!I owned a V8 Aston Martin some years ago. The best advise I received while shopping for one is not to bother about fuel consumption, otherwise I would never drive it. I don't recall it often getting above 10mpg, so what are you bothered about?!

A word on turbos. There is a myth that because a supercharger is belt driven, while a turbo is gas-driven, that a turbo gives 'free' performance. That is not so! They are both parasitic and sap power from the donor engine in order to improve it. An optimised turbo engine is in a very different state of tune compared with a ditto normally aspirated one.

I'm not overly bothered about the fuel, merely curious, as this will be the first thirsty car I've owned, and trying to work out a few things in advance of me being able to drive it. In a year or so, I'll buy an economical car for my wife and use this car as my leisure car!!!

colintf
24-02-2010, 07:38 PM
seems your questions are now answered which is good!!

:cool:

John Newey
24-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Right then-FUEL-probably get 16-18 mpg driving round and about. My supercharged version has dropped to 13-16 mpg, though on a 300 mile run recently and without my lead clogs on:D-I got a very creditable 26.26 mpg. Tyres are needed every 6-10,000 miles, but otherwise pretty sound and talking of sound-what a sound:D!!

grbrown
25-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Right then-FUEL-probably get 16-18 mpg driving round and about. My supercharged version has dropped to 13-16 mpg, though on a 300 mile run recently and without my lead clogs on:D-I got a very creditable 26.26 mpg. Tyres are needed every 6-10,000 miles, but otherwise pretty sound and talking of sound-what a sound:D!!

Ah! I looked at the possibility of supercharging mine briefly. Cost at Dreadnought was breath-taking, especially compared with the price of kits in the USA. Did you have it done or buy the car with it fitted?

AndyG
25-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Ah! I looked at the possibility of supercharging mine briefly. Cost at Dreadnought was breath-taking, especially compared with the price of kits in the USA. Did you have it done or buy the car with it fitted?

Kit have been bought and fitted with challenges.

Better to let Brian do the job it will be done propely. ;)

gaz the gas
25-02-2010, 05:46 PM
well that was a nice tour of the 260,many thanks gazz

Italianstallion
26-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Thanks again for the answer, I have a couple more more questions.

Does the Mark 1 handle worse then the Mark 2, I heard there's no traction control on the Mark 1? Any other differences between the two models, aside from the shape, which I should know about?

Also is it fine to run budget tyres, I have Federals 225/45/18 on my diesel which I find very good, so I may get another set for this car?

SteveChilds
26-02-2010, 09:08 AM
As far as I know, there are no other differences between the Mk1 & Mk2 as far as handling goes, its exactly the same. The Mk2s have a different rear spring design, but that's to correct a design flaw in the first versions.

I can't speak for the Federals, but I have Falken 452s on mine and they're superb.