PDA

View Full Version : Hello from another 260 newbie!

The Chunky Chap
23-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Hello one and all!

I'm Simon, 21, and a BT Engineer :~ from Burton on Trent.

I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago while I was actually looking at getting a MKII Seat Leon FR TD. Ever since I heard a couple of rather lovely cars at MGFest last year (some may have seen me in the ZR when three 3 Counties MG cars arrived in the arena, back from our charity run, just before the exhaust competition) I knew I'd have one at some point; and when I saw this one at the price it was up for, there was no way I was passing up a look!

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x215/SDiSi/MYZT1.jpg

As you can see, it's a MKI (non-SE) on a '54' plate, which I'm told is odd as the facelift was on '04' plates? I assume mine was sat around for a while. It's got - if I'm remembering rightly - the drivers intelligence pack, which is nice. It's going into Nick at Austin Garages tomorrow for a full going over/service which is mainly for my peace of mind 'cos it's running sweet as a nut :D

It's a bit of a change from my previous cars, but I've always had MG-R: First car was a 214Si, then a 220SDi, then a 218iS and finally a ZR TD (which, until now, was my most powerful car @ 130bhp ;)). The 260's just a little bit different! I just can't get enough of the sound of it; I find myself driving everywhere with the radio off and the windows down!

...Whoa, looking back at that, t'is rather a lot of writing, sorry :p I still get excited when I know I'm going out in the car! Sad, huh? :D

Cheers all,
Simon.

P.S. Saw a few 260's at Stoneleigh on Sunday - looking/sounding good!

colintf
23-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Hi Simon and welcome!

Good choice, a great looking V8!

I spoke to Nich and Jean at Austin Garages earlier today, they both seem very helpful and knowledgeable.

:cool:

Martin
23-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Hi and welcome,

I too am a fairly new owner and yes I still have the window down but eventually had to close it when I got frost bite. They are a great bunch here and some of the work that they do making stuff and advice is awsome, you are now officially one of the few enjoy Martin:D

PS you are very close to Nick at Austin Garages He is just the best I have seen.

The Chunky Chap
23-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Cheers guys!

I'd heard nothing but good things about Austin Garages, so the day after I got the 260 I took a drive over and had a great chat with both of them, thoroughly nice people, and booked my car straight in.

Si.

colintf
23-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Mines going there 19th March, for an ICE upgrade, and a few other little jobs

Tim
23-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Welcome aboard Simon, don't forget your questionnaire :)

The Chunky Chap
23-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Welcome aboard Simon, don't forget your questionnaire :)
Done and done :D

I did forget to attach it to the first email though :ash

Si.

Stu C
23-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Welcome to the pack :D - Great competition that was at Gaydon wasn't it? Fancy two 260's winning 1st and 2nd in the noise stakes!

Looks like Nicks got another V8 on his books, at least it will be in good hands. Mines booked in for it's service and MOT ina few weeks (eek!)

Looks a nice ship :) Always been a fan of Trophy blue

ColinE
23-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Welcome aboard - lucky devil so close to Austins!!!

I've added you to the members list here

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=5566

Tim
23-02-2010, 07:26 PM
There you go Simon, the world of V8 opens up to you; get reading sunshine. Think you are the youngest member now. ;)

Done and done :D

I did forget to attach it to the first email though :ash

Si.

The Chunky Chap
23-02-2010, 07:31 PM

I could throw a stone and hit it from here :D Cheers.

There you go Simon, the world of V8 opens up to you; get reading sunshine. Think you are the youngest member now. ;)
Thanking you very much, better get looking around ;)

V8 Novi
23-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Looks a nice ship :) Always been a fan of Trophy blue

Yeah, they look good in Blue - as I'm sure our Silver owners would agree..? :stir

Congratulations and welcome aboard. Whats the VIN?

JohnB
23-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi Simon, there is a huge amount of information to digest here and a great bunch of very helpful friendly owners. The car looks fantastic in Trophy Blue.
Enjoy :)

Stu C
23-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Yeah, they look good in Blue - as I'm sure our Silver owners would agree..? :stir

I'd say mines blue too but it's a mirage haha! i know cheesy joke....

Silver? Maybe MG took what Vauxhall did when they ran out of paint, and sprayed many many many Vectras in silver primer and just laqured them :~ :kiss

Simon, have a look around Nichs V8 too thats one of the development cars :)

The Chunky Chap
23-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Blurry eyes from all the information here :D I can hear a faint voice calling "X-powers..." :p

Congratulations and welcome aboard. Whats the VIN?
Thanks. It's #057

Simon, have a look around Nichs V8 too thats one of the development cars :)
Roger dodger, will do.

Nigel Lewis
23-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Welcome Simon, they are addictive, as you are already finding out.
This is a great site to be on, with help always at hand, and Nick at Austin Garages is a top bloke. I will only be letting him work on my car in future, and living 130 miles away would still not now contemplate taking it anywhere else.
Enjoy:D
Nigel.

pessling
23-02-2010, 11:41 PM
welcome along, definitely the youngest now and at 21 even better, although hate to imagine what your insurance is like, when i got mine at 23 mine was 1600.

AndyG
24-02-2010, 12:09 AM

Welcome. :D

And here (Vin 001 to 883):
https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=5539

:)

The Chunky Chap
24-02-2010, 09:03 AM
welcome along, definitely the youngest now and at 21 even better, although hate to imagine what your insurance is like, when i got mine at 23 mine was 1600.
1400 with Elephant ;) didn't think that was too bad at all!

Julianp
24-02-2010, 12:14 PM
What are you getting done ICE-wise, Colin? Mine's going back on March 30th for a Bluetooth kit, the last step in my ICE upgrade, on which Nick did a great job. Until I have to move to digital radio I think I'm done after that!
Cheers,
Julian.

Mines going there 19th March, for an ICE upgrade, and a few other little jobs

colintf
24-02-2010, 06:33 PM
What are you getting done ICE-wise, Colin? Mine's going back on March 30th for a Bluetooth kit, the last step in my ICE upgrade, on which Nick did a great job. Until I have to move to digital radio I think I'm done after that!
Cheers,
Julian.

Hi Julian,

16:9 (cd player), BM54 to go with my new speakers, plus a few other jobs while I am there.

They've done this sort of thing before http://www.austingarages.co.uk/featured_car.html

Ken B
24-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi Simon and welcome. Great looking car, by far the best colour in my opinion. I have No. 070 a mk1 SE also in trophy blue first registered in November 2003. Ive owned her since Nov 7th last year its fantastic and just gets better each time you drive it. Good luck and happy motoring. :drive Ken...

kcv
24-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Hello Simon
I've got to agree with Ken B above as I used to own that car, it is a great colour.
Hopefully everything you need to know will be known by someone in the group and everyone is happy to share that knowledge.
Enjoy

The Chunky Chap
24-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Spent the day with Nick at Austin Garages today for my 'C' service. Fun day, and apart from a snapped rear spring (at the top, was kinda expecting it after reading a few topics on here) and a noisy air con compressor (I don't use air con, but will look into a recon'd unit) all is fine and funky. Feels like it's running even smoother to boot! RESULT! :D

colintf
25-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Spent the day with Nick at Austin Garages today for my 'C' service. Fun day, and apart from a snapped rear spring (at the top, was kinda expecting it after reading a few topics on here) and a noisy air con compressor (I don't use air con, but will look into a recon'd unit) all is fine and funky. Feels like it's running even smoother to boot! RESULT! :D

not too bad then!