PDA

View Full Version : Parts in general

rare
19-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Hi guys,

Looking at another 260 this weekend I hope. Whats the general supply like on parts?

Has any one had to replace any shocks/struts yet? Are rea coil springs still a problem to get? I see from the other thread rear discs are available. I am very worried that I will find a 260 I love, buy it, and then find I cant maintain it:(

ColinE
19-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Most parts are available, a few take a bit of finding, but the club helps with them eg discs; rear springs are available again, the engine being Ford is pretty easy to get parts for.

pessling
19-02-2010, 11:57 PM
struts are available from smc on ebay at a very reasonable amount for a complete set, which i done and have stored in the loft, there are some high mileage cars on the forum which have had little if any major mechanical problems

ColinE
20-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Also - members tend to post on here as they see 'scarce' parts listed somewhere so if owners are looking for them they have a better chance of sourcing them

Tim
20-02-2010, 10:03 AM
As Ragman says we as a collective as becoming quite good at finding things or fabricating parts, more often to a better design so don't let that bother you.

colintf
20-02-2010, 07:29 PM
luckily, thanks to the collective here, long term ownership shouldn't be a problem, there plenty ok knowledge here to

:cool:

Keith
20-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Hi guys,

Looking at another 260 this weekend I hope. Whats the general supply like on parts?

Has any one had to replace any shocks/struts yet? Are rea coil springs still a problem to get? I see from the other thread rear discs are available. I am very worried that I will find a 260 I love, buy it, and then find I cant maintain it:(

Bit of a daft question really otherwise we would all be running around like chickens with no heads looking for elusive bits with our cars off road.

The fact all our cars are on the road (well except 007 that is minus quite a lot of bits) goes to show bits are not a problem. I think we will be forced off the road by HM Government before bits become a major issue.

Even the major engine blows up in a couple of cars did not leave the owners off the road for long.

rare
20-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the comments guys:) I know it does seem like an odd question, just when reading up about 260's I kept finding the phrase that some parts were getting hard/rare to find, and that worries me slightly!:)

I am going to see the black non SE 06 plate 260 on autotrader tommorow. Hopefully will have more luck with this one!!

pessling
20-02-2010, 11:25 PM
i think the likes of certain ebayers are using that as an excuse to make owners who don't know of the forum panic buy, i know some former owners sold up when MGR when under because of this. However the situation couldn't be any different. May take a little time to look for something more special but with the help of the knowledge of th club your'll never be short of support.

rare
21-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Saw the car today was very Impressed, but unfortunatly it wouldnt start!

All the lights on the dash work, central locking works fine, turn the key and nothing happens. No starter motor noise, fuel pump noise, nothing. Any ideas? Do they suffer immobiliser problems? Or do you think it might be a battery with not enough charge to start it?

Also, I noticed through the front mesh under the license plate, a cable and plug hanging down, not connected to anything on the offside? Any ideas what this could be?

All being well they will get the car started this week and I will hopefully be the new owner, looked awesome!!!:D

scooter
21-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Probably the outside temp sender plug.

pessling
21-02-2010, 06:18 PM
you'd get a click if there wasn't enough juice in the battery, would agree with scooter about the plug

spartacus
21-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Saw the car today was very Impressed, but unfortunatly it wouldnt start!

Good grief - who the hell tries to sell a car that won't start? Must be worth a sizeable discount :D

ColinE
21-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Good grief - who the hell tries to sell a car that won't start? Must be worth a sizeable discount :D

Or at least a new battery as part of the deal

tonybubble
21-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Even 455 starts, although 007 doesn't yet!!! :D:D

ColinE
21-02-2010, 08:59 PM
That's cos there's nothing to start - unless Corin's been really busy

AndyG
21-02-2010, 09:02 PM

Bench test :D

OK. BIG bench :p

tonybubble
21-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Well there's no need to be picky. Please chivvy up Corin when you can!

ColinE
21-02-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm seeing him on Wednesday so will 'have a word'

black olive
21-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Bench test :D

we once fired a triumph herald engine up on a workbench- in our younger stupider days. ran well but took 2 people holding it.

th efun really started when we cut off all the bodywork and ran it round the back roads with cycle front and rear lamps fitted - was ok till one lad ranit off road and into a tree- fortunately no injuries, and from what I can remember no convictions, but took some explaining to the lads mum who owned it.

ColinE
21-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Must admit when i think back it's amazing we got away with what we did and did not kill/maim ourselves or someone else

rare
21-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Good grief - who the hell tries to sell a car that won't start? Must be worth a sizeable discount

I know, rather silly. In their defence, they had moved the car the day before and I didnt give them my phone number, so they had no way of telling me what was going on.

Hope its not going to be a sign of things to come....:~