PDA

View Full Version : Hydratrak LSD

DaveyLC
16-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Is it just me or is the LSD on the ZT an absoloute waste of time? I know the Hydratrak isnt supposed to be very good but sometimes I wouldnt even think the car had an LSD :(

Are they serviceble on the ZT or a sealed unit as usual?

Cheers!

AndyG
16-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Is it just me or is the LSD on the ZT an absoloute waste of time? I know the Hydratrak isnt supposed to be very good but sometimes I wouldnt even think the car had an LSD :(

Are they serviceble on the ZT or a sealed unit as usual?

Cheers!

The LSD on ours have a strange way of working.

There is a thread somewhere?
https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=3049&highlight=Diff
https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=3731&highlight=Diff

;)

DaveyLC
17-02-2010, 12:06 AM
I dont have permission to view those posts :(

AndyG
17-02-2010, 12:20 AM
The LSD on ours have a strange way of working.
[/quote

[quote=]Is it possible to modify the diff in any way to make the level of slip less? i.e. it feels very 'open' to me and I would prefer the feel if it didn't let one wheel spin up so much. Can anything be done with oil/pumps/or even a different diff to give more of that more-locked feel?

Cheers

You can fit a cone diff but it is very much harsher and can cause transmission wind up. On the 520 we use the cone diff on the slow tight circuits and the standard hydrotrac on the fast circuits. What tyre are you using as this has an effect on the standard diff. In my opinion the standard diff with the correct tyres is very good set up.

To convert to cone is about £800 but I would not recommend it for road use. The cone diff requires to be set up at regular intervals as the friction plates wear it also puts a lot of strain on the driveshafts when you are parking etc, it will also increase your tyre wear. Check the oil level in your diff and make sure it is working as it should. Took the conti's of my car in the first 1000 miles of owning it as I did not like them (the car did not feel stable on them). When we put a blown car on the rollers for its power run if its got cont's on it we have to put 3 people in the back to stop the tyres slipping. On Toyo and Goodyear we don't.

;)

V8 Martin
17-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Having had more than 1, I'd say some are quicker to lock up than others.

The one in my current 260 responds well to a full-bore start, but is rubbish compared to others I've had when pulling out of a junction, for instance.

Luck of the draw, or adjustable? I dunno...

DaveyLC
17-02-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm running Toyo's.. Its had new oil but the friction part of the diff is sealed :(

With a bit of right heel braking I can spin up both rear wheels but if you are trying to get the rear end out at slow speeds it doesnt want to know.

dobbo
17-02-2010, 12:39 PM
How interesting, mine will wag it's tail at the slightest of provocation in the wet. A bit of a heavier right foot is required in the dry but it will step out when asked.

DaveyLC
17-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Dont get me wrong it steps out and when given a right foot full it will waggle up the road but with the amount of torque the 4.6 creates it should be able to donut on the spot with ease with a decent LSD.

I think its just down to the Hydratrak being a rubbish type of LSD.

Phil
17-02-2010, 02:43 PM
The Hydratrak is a progressive type of LSD which allows speed to build up before torque transfer begins. Also it is suitable for use with ABS, which some LSDs are not.
Cone type diffs, as Scooter has said, are not suitable for road use and cause transmission wind up if you're not running with one wheel off the ground pretty often.
If you drop the clutch from a standing start, both wheels will leave a black line.
I have heard quite damning criticism of the traction control, which is probably justified (I don't have it) but the Hydratrak diff is a good piece of kit which does the job well.

scooter
17-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Dont get me wrong it steps out and when given a right foot full it will waggle up the road but with the amount of torque the 4.6 creates it should be able to donut on the spot with ease with a decent LSD.

I think its just down to the Hydratrak being a rubbish type of LSD.

The hydrotrack is a very good road diff. There seems to be a bit of confusion on how and what is is designed to do. It works by adjusting the torque between both wheels. It needs to see one wheel slip before it can work as the slip on one wheel causes the pump in the diff to transfer the torque to the slower moving wheel. The tyre make has an effect on the action. Regard the hydrotrak as a softer version off a locking diff. My little red car has a mechanical locking diff and it is not good when you are turning out of junctions you can feel it lock up and try to wind up the suspension, when you try to park between two cars in a tight space you can feel the car not liking it. It is very easy to leave TWO black marks on the road with the hydrotrak once it has started to move.:~

DaveyLC
17-02-2010, 03:27 PM
I suppose the difference is I bought the ZT for weekend blasts and grin-factor not for driving to work/the shops so the whole 'being better for the road and parking' just doesnt cut the mustard for me :D

I'm ITCHING for a supercharger now! :ash

Phil
17-02-2010, 03:32 PM
I suppose the difference is I bought the ZT for weekend blasts and grin-factor not for driving to work/the shops so the whole 'being better for the road and parking' just doesnt cut the mustard for me :D
I think you should be looking HERE (http://www.caterham.co.uk/assets/html/showroom/superlightr300.html).

DaveyLC
17-02-2010, 03:59 PM
I find Caterhams, Dax and Westfields pointless.. If I wanted to get wet and cold I'd just go out on my motorbike and get there quicker! :D

AndyG
17-02-2010, 05:30 PM
I find Caterhams, Dax and Westfields pointless.. If I wanted to get wet and cold I'd just go out on my motorbike and get there quicker! :D

The Carteham is Fantastic for Drifting :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

pessling
17-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Theres a good article in this months redline magazine about the different types of diff's

leadfoot
18-02-2010, 04:05 PM
There's a big difference between individual cars,my ZTT is very planted and quite hard to unstick in the dry and not at all tail happy in the wet.However I drove a Mk 1 ZT no. 038 I think and this was a total drift machine,any sort of right foot abuse would easily unstick it in the dry,just so different to mine.(both cars on OE Contis at the time)

AndyG
18-02-2010, 07:01 PM
... my ZTT is very planted and quite hard to unstick in the dry and not at all tail happy in the wet........

It is the extra weight of the estate. (also for me a full sized spare wheel and tools and Kitchen sink)

On the track it is better than the saloon (My opinon:D)

colintf
18-02-2010, 07:54 PM
The hydrotrack is a very good road diff. There seems to be a bit of confusion on how and what is is designed to do. It works by adjusting the torque between both wheels. It needs to see one wheel slip before it can work as the slip on one wheel causes the pump in the diff to transfer the torque to the slower moving wheel. The tyre make has an effect on the action. Regard the hydrotrak as a softer version off a locking diff. My little red car has a mechanical locking diff and it is not good when you are turning out of junctions you can feel it lock up and try to wind up the suspension, when you try to park between two cars in a tight space you can feel the car not liking it. It is very easy to leave TWO black marks on the road with the hydrotrak once it has started to move.:~

thankyou for the explanation Brian

:cool:

SteveChilds
24-03-2010, 05:26 PM
It is the extra weight of the estate. (also for me a full sized spare wheel and tools and Kitchen sink)LOL, was wondering why mine was taking a bit of persuasion to slide out recently. Must have been the spare wheel in the boot.

(And all the other crap!)

DaveyLC
27-03-2010, 08:13 PM
It will sound strange but it seems to be getting better! The harder I drive the car the better the LSD seems to lock up. Maybe its had such an easy life until to know it didnt know how to work! lol :D

Herman
28-03-2010, 11:24 AM
It will sound strange but it seems to be getting better! The harder I drive the car the better the LSD seems to lock up. Maybe its had such an easy life until to know it didnt know how to work! lol :D

Wasn't the trick with an LSD to keep the power on? Most people seem to lift when to slide starts, reducing the power and stopping the diff from doing it's job. Keep the power on, adjust it to control...

Maybe you've been too easy on the throttle al along:~

DaveyLC
28-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Wasn't the trick with an LSD to keep the power on? Most people seem to lift when to slide starts, reducing the power and stopping the diff from doing it's job. Keep the power on, adjust it to control...

Maybe you've been too easy on the throttle al along:~

No way ;) Normally only one wheel was spinning up so no slide, just loads of smoke and no trousers.