PDA

View Full Version : X Power back boxes

T16
11-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Someone recently informed me that they were made for Xpart by a big exhaust company.

Does anyone know who they were ?

Cheers

black olive
11-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Janspeed I think

ColinE
11-02-2010, 01:09 PM
General question - were they ever a factory fit option? Just thinking re mods declared to insurance co's

T16
11-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Am I also right in thinking the Xpower logo was just a sticker?

greeners
11-02-2010, 01:15 PM
I've had a look on the Janspeed web site, and the don't list any parts for the ZT range what so ever.......
________
No2 Vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/no2-vaporizer/)

T16
11-02-2010, 01:23 PM
It was Janspeed.

Just been on the phone to them.

They told me there was never a jig made up, and that dealers used to drive the cars in and get the backboxes custom fitted each time.

mikpeirce
11-02-2010, 01:40 PM
General question - were they ever a factory fit option? Just thinking re mods declared to insurance co's

Had a number of director cars at my dealership when we were owned by Phoenix (MG Rover Group's own dealership company) that had x-power back boxes. I assumed they were PDI'd and registered on-site at Longbridge with the back boxes being fitted then. (You could always use this excuse with the insurance companies! ;))

spartacus
11-02-2010, 04:49 PM
I believe mine came through the route that Mik describes. I have X-Powers with no logo on...

black olive
11-02-2010, 04:59 PM
a couple of polishes soon see's the logo off !!

T16
11-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Well I want a pair.

Anyone got the part numbers for them? (saloon)

Laughably Janspeed quoted £400 PER SIDE today on the phone.

spartacus
11-02-2010, 05:16 PM
You can have mine for £350 a side :D

dobbo
11-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Just get a local custom exhaust builder to do it, mine were £320 the pair, he could have done single ovals either side but I chose quads.

http://www.bendobson.co.uk/snaps/leica/quads.jpg

As long as the end pipe looks the same as x-powers I can't see any advantage of the x-powers over custom made ones.

black olive
11-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Tim has started a thred on Zero X poer look a likes- should be better quality and a refined engine note

V8 Martin
11-02-2010, 11:46 PM
It was Janspeed.

Just been on the phone to them.

They told me there was never a jig made up, and that dealers used to drive the cars in and get the backboxes custom fitted each time.

What you were told is blatantly untrue! They were sold through dealers all bubble wrapped up with MG part no's, but were sold out long ago.

I have tried contacting Janspeed before now about producing a run of them, but got no response.

If anyone else fancies having a go though....

Manxmann
12-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Now that I'm the proud owner of a pair, no gloating obviously, I've had a chance to have a good look, gyno style mirror up the tubes style :p

Obviously without pulling them apart its hard to say but they don't look the most complicated beast, rather a lot of emptyness in truth. Surely any decent fabricator could do a straight 'copy'?

Isn't it when people start with 'I'd like Xpower noise but with Zero quality + twins + x + y' that it gets complicated?

Or am I missing something?

pessling
12-02-2010, 10:21 PM
I've also looked inside and other than the last 7inches its a straight through pipe, and with the added 7inch pipe they are effectively straight through, don't know if there is any material inside the hollow of the exhaust but the x powers are very light, in comparison to the zero's

black olive
12-02-2010, 10:48 PM
spoke to Kevin at zero yesterday. The hooligan in me wants to remove the perforated resonance reducing mod from the zeros, but was discouraged. He said I would gain little noise benefit but get the nasty resonance so Im not going to bother. He mentioned the x power style boxes he is going to have a go at, and his plans are to build a perforated tube inside to tune out resonance. A very nice chap to speak to, and his products are top quality

colintf
13-02-2010, 05:12 PM
What you were told is blatantly untrue! They were sold through dealers all bubble wrapped up with MG part no's, but were sold out long ago.

I have tried contacting Janspeed before now about producing a run of them, but got no response.

If anyone else fancies having a go though....

SMC certainly didn't drive my car to Janspeed for the XPowers that are fitted to mine!

:cool:

Roadsterstu
14-02-2010, 02:08 PM
spoke to Kevin at zero yesterday. The hooligan in me wants to remove the perforated resonance reducing mod from the zeros, but was discouraged. He said I would gain little noise benefit but get the nasty resonance so Im not going to bother. He mentioned the x power style boxes he is going to have a go at, and his plans are to build a perforated tube inside to tune out resonance. A very nice chap to speak to, and his products are top quality

Be interesting to see how this pans out. The quality of the Zeros certainly appeals and as much as I like the look of quads, I really like the twin ovals.

Tim
14-02-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm hoping to have a test set on for Brooklands so you can see and hear them. In the end I'll have the zero quads and the ovals then will swap depending on how I feel. :D

Be interesting to see how this pans out. The quality of the Zeros certainly appeals and as much as I like the look of quads, I really like the twin ovals.

ColinE
14-02-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm hoping to have a test set on for Brooklands so you can see and hear them. In the end I'll have the zero quads and the ovals then will swap depending on how I feel. :D

Happy to put a set on mine for comparison if needed :D

Q-car
03-03-2010, 11:25 AM

Just renewed the insurance with Peter Best. Made enquiries re the fitting of X Powers and advised that there would be a 15% loading. No doubt you would agree it's worth the extra.

AndyG
03-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Just renewed the insurance with Peter Best. Made enquiries re the fitting of X Powers and advised that there would be a 15% loading. No doubt you would agree it's worth the extra.

Do they think someone is going to Nick them?.

I understand a loading for after market Alloy Wheels but an exhaust? Do they increase the power by 15%?

:confused:

colintf
03-03-2010, 08:07 PM

and would get back onto them and ask to speak to Matthew, I'm sure mine made no difference to their premium?

V8 Martin
03-03-2010, 11:32 PM

Bit outrageous surely? For an MGR option that could have been fitted from new....

ColinE
03-03-2010, 11:34 PM
The difficulty is proving it if one doesn't have original bill of sale

eurorover
08-03-2010, 05:24 PM
I have never declared my xpowers as they are a facory fit option and I had no problems when 545 was wrote off with them on

ColinE
08-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks - was planning to go that route next time round, hadn't crossed my mind before

Q-car
08-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I quite like the one submitted by Eurorover particularly. It just makes you wonder when dealing with Insurance Cos., as to what added extras add on the extra.

colintf
08-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Me, I declare any mods / extras, still doesn't cost me any more!

SteveW
08-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I quite like the one submitted by Eurorover particularly. It just makes you wonder when dealing with Insurance Cos., as to what added extras add on the extra.
Its easy. Declare anything that isnt part of the standard specification. An optional extra is an extra, regardless of if it was fitted at the factory, by a dealer or by you.

I have always found its best to be honest with insurers, they will soon tell you what impact various optional extras/mods with have on a policy. If the premium start increasing significantly due to mods/extras, simply find another insurance company.

FWIW there was no increase in premium when I declared my small list of extras/mods on my Peter best 'classic' policy.
Do you know if your quote is for a 'classic' policy or normal?

colintf
08-03-2010, 08:47 PM
made no difference on their normal (non classic) policy with me either.

Q-car
08-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Do you know if your quote is for a 'classic' policy or normal?[/quote]

The quote was for a standard policy of £282. I did enquire about a classic policy, and as I have mentioned in a previous thread, P.B. quoted a higher premium for less mileage and no business use. (Overnight in a garage considerably reduces the premium - per Matthew Best)

SteveTD
09-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I have never declared my xpowers as they are a facory fit option and I had no problems when 545 was wrote off with them on
Ditto when mine was written off......