PDA

View Full Version : New here, thinking of buying a 260ZT

gaz the gas
26-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Hi, I'm new to this whole forum stuff so just bear with me, but I have a few questions about the 260ZT.

First off, what things do I look for when buying one? Is there anything I should be aware of when looking around for one?

And also, from personal experience, should I go for a Mark 1 or Mark 2?

Thanks,

Gaz

Flying Silver
26-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Main differences with Mk 1 and Mk 2 are the looks and the equipment.

Some like the more classic look of the twin headlamp pre facelift, others the sharper lines of the Mk2.

A few extra bits on the Mk2:
- Traction control
- Cruise Control
- blue backlit dials
Not sure if theres owt else....

gaz the gas
26-01-2010, 11:27 PM
thanks for that none around stoke area i have to look further afield,down in the deep south of the country

JohnB
26-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Main differences with Mk 1 and Mk 2 are the looks and the equipment.

Some like the more classic look of the twin headlamp pre facelift, others the sharper lines of the Mk2.

- Traction control
- Cruise Control
- blue backlit dials

- Traction control (SE only)
- Cruise Control (SE only)
- blue backlit dials

No key operated lock on boot on mk2 (except from key fob if set up).

Rear springs on Mk1 liable to break, new design springs on mk2.

Decide if you want all the extras on the SE before driving miles and finding the car you are looking at in a non SE.
Mine is a non-SE and I am not bothered about that but you may decide otherwise.

spartacus
27-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Different dash on the Mk2 as well isn't it - sandpaper effect rather than smooth?

You might want to look out for optional extras too, like...
- powerfold mirrors (good)
- heated seats (good, IMHO)
- rear sun blind (marginal)
- Xpower exhausts (definitely good)
- supercharger (in my dreams :rolleyes:)

Phil
27-01-2010, 08:30 AM
The Mk2 has a lot more soundproofing than the Mk1.
The SE is only worth travelling for if you're sure you want those features. It is generally agreed that the traction control (Mk2 SE) is pants.
Just about everything else can be retro fitted. e.g. Leather interior, heated seats, sat nav (after market is better), rear sunblind etc. There are even real wood dash conversions if it takes your fancy.

A good, low mileage car with full history is worth looking for. Especially from a member on here who has had the upgraded heater hose fitted, the fuel filter clip fitted and possibly even Zero exhausts, Accufab throttle body and K&N air filter.

Don't let people tell you that a flip paint job is worth more than a standard metallic.

Price? Finger in the air, but 6 - 10k, depending on condition, mileage etc. ZTT is holding its price higher than the saloon at the moment.

Good luck.

Phil

philthetorque
27-01-2010, 10:47 AM
You may want to look up Spunagain's website, some good advise on here (http://www.spunagain.co.uk/)

Bsest of luck

Phil.

lowey260
27-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Birmingham is close to Stoke, Im selling mine and will be at Chasewater on Sunday Junction 11 M6 from Stoke. Why not come down there will be a few V8 owners there and you can ask any questions you may have.

Blue Flash
27-01-2010, 03:41 PM
One on ebay near to me MK2 Silver 30k and an 06 plate @ £7.5k.

Flying Silver
27-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Decide if you want all the extras on the SE before driving miles and finding the car you are looking at in a non SE.
Mine is a non-SE and I am not bothered about that but you may decide otherwise.

As people suggest - quite a few extra bits of kit on the SE over non SE - depends if these matter to you or not. On the Mk2, extra kit on the SE is:

cruise, traction (pants!), sunroof, full leather, elec rear windows, xenon headlamps and powerwash, SatNav + TV, Onboard Computer, Auto dimming mirror, heated power seats, Parking Sensors, Climate Control, Alloys slightly larger?!?

As people have also said - all this adds a fair bit of weight - what price luxury!!

Good luck in your hunt

GeoffW
27-01-2010, 06:08 PM
There is also quite a weight saving of 120KG between the base model and the SE, if you fancy an extra 140 hp then Visit Dreadnought for a supercharger conversion, that will really put a smile on your face :)
I have had mine for 4 years and will be keeping it forever, its very addictive :D

Keith
27-01-2010, 06:25 PM
I have had both

My MK2 was a sort of a hybrid with some SE bits fitted from the factory Sunroof OBC Apexes etc!

A hidden difference with the MK2 is the subtle NVH changes they made including the door kick pates that don't get kicked off the clips any more like they do on the MK1

I miss the blue dials of my previous MK2 but I prefer the MK1 looks
Only thing I wish I had on my MK1 is Cruise Control

Who needs TC? spinning the rear wheels at 70MPH in the wet is much more fun :o

colintf
27-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi and welcome.

Good luck hunting for the right one for you!

:cool:

gaz the gas
27-01-2010, 07:13 PM
thanks all,just might come down to brum and have a look and a chat

lowey260
27-01-2010, 09:11 PM
located at : Pool Rd, Brownhills, Walsall, West Midlands WS8 7NL

Meet from around 10:30am,

Hope to see you there, there will be a few V8 owners from here happy to answer any questions you may have.

V8 Martin
31-01-2010, 09:54 PM
As Phil says: "The Mk2 has a lot more soundproofing than the Mk1"

Having had 2 of each, I think this is the biggest difference (aside from the obvious bumpers & wheels). I favour the noticeably more raw feel of the Mk1 & a few people I have taken out in mine of late have commented that you "feel the power" - in a good way!

I'm not a fan of traction control either. In anything.

Whichever you buy, you'll not regret it!

Herman
31-01-2010, 11:10 PM
As Phil says: "The Mk2 has a lot more soundproofing than the Mk1"

Having had 2 of each, I think this is the biggest difference (aside from the obvious bumpers & wheels). I favour the noticeably more raw feel of the Mk1 & a few people I have taken out in mine of late have commented that you "feel the power" - in a good way!

I'm not a fan of traction control either. In anything.

Whichever you buy, you'll not regret it!

Never driven a MK2 but sound proofing on a V8?
Been said before but the only thing I miss is Cruise Control.

I got the electric seats (non memory), sat nav, harmon kandon, sunroof etc...

Traction Control you can do without, unless you want to be stopped dead in your tracks when you most need the power.

TC can be disabled in a MK2 car so..................

If you can get a 260..................get one and you won't regret whether it's a MK1 or MK2

gaz the gas
02-02-2010, 07:02 PM
just like to say thanks for the chat at chasewater on sunday,thanks gazzz

bleeperman
04-02-2010, 10:21 PM
V8 Martin I agree with your passengers comments, the Mk1 is raw but the Mk2 with the improvements to sound deadening and trim etc. Can only say that they are considerably different, maybe its my MK2 s higher mileage making a looser more run in feel but definately the MK2 car is much smoother and I prefer monogram leather to alcantara. Perhaps a late MK1 SE is the ultimate 260.:ash Sure thing one will have to go but which one:confused:

gaz the gas
04-02-2010, 10:47 PM
got my eye on two at the minute,will keep you posted,gazzz

V8 Novi
05-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Perhaps a late MK1 SE is the ultimate 260.:ash

I like it! (plus a supercharger of course)

Still dreamin...

DaveyLC
05-02-2010, 03:52 PM
I've just bought Loweys car .. I was trying to decide between a clio V6 and the ZT, I think I made the right choice..

When you think about it the ZT is a pretty poor car, terrible economy, harsh ride, very low spec, no main dealers, dubious build quality, road-manners of an thug with ten asbo's.

But Its just such a hoot to drive and it has so much character! A real drivers car, you feel everything!

leadfoot
05-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Gaz I'm probably the nearest to you as I work at Alpha Tyres in Montrose St. Fenton. I usually come to work on Saturdays in my 260se.If you want a look and run in mine you are welcome.Also we have vehicle lifts so if you want a look underneath a possible purchase or a car you have bought you are also welcome.Ring me on 31two2two2 or just pop in if you like and ask for John

gaz the gas
05-02-2010, 07:18 PM
thanks john im at work in the morning,so i will get around about lunchtime if thats ok thanks gazz,if any probs my moby is 0779three858five28

V8 Martin
05-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Perhaps a late MK1 SE is the ultimate 260.:ash

Agreed! That's why mine is for keeps :D

Tim
06-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Agreed! That's why mine is for keeps :D

This time ;)

V8 Martin
07-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Am I getting a reputation.....? :ash