PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a ZT 260

DaveyLC
22-01-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm looking for something random and exciting and I've narrowed down my choices to a Clio V6 and a ZT 260 both appeal to me because they are the bonkers sort of thing someone wouuld build in a shed.

I have never owned a Rover/MG and only have experience of other peoples woe's with K series engines and rovers generally falling to pieces around them so I've come here for advice and information on the ZT 260 model.

A guy I work with used to own one and he only really had problems with the cooling system, air conditioning and the clutch.. But other than that he loved the car.

What are peoples opinions on the ZT 260 and are they a generally fun an rewarding car to drive? I've just sold my 3rd Impreza WRX because I find it boring and predictable (not sure why I keep buying them). The only car I have ever truely loved was my Lotus Carlton which I had before I had the commitments and expense of owning home and sadly I couldnt afford both so RWD and torque is what floats my boat plus I HATE the image of BMW's and Merc's which doesnt leave many choices :D

Anyhoo.. HELLO!

colintf
22-01-2010, 08:03 PM
hello mate, good to see you ventured over here from ,Org.

:cool:

DaveyLC
22-01-2010, 08:12 PM
I've just seen Lowey260's for sale post.. Has anyone got any pictures of his car?

AndyG
22-01-2010, 08:18 PM
...............Lotus Carlton .............................so RWD and torque is what floats my boat plus I HATE the image of BMW's and Merc's which doesnt leave many choices

Hi. welcome.

If you liked the Carlton you should love the 260.
Servicing and minor? challenges can be fixed by good repair shops we know of.

Stick on a Supercharger and you have 400 bhp with 430 ft/lb to play with.

One of the best controlable big car. ;)

:D:D:D

DaveyLC
22-01-2010, 08:20 PM
What sort of money are the charger kits?

AndyG
22-01-2010, 08:24 PM
What sort of money are the charger kits?

£6-7,000

http://www.dreadnoughtgarage.co.uk/index.html

http://www.dreadnoughtgarage.co.uk/supercharger.html

colintf
22-01-2010, 08:25 PM
£6500 - 7000 expertly fitted!

I'm slowly saving up!

:cool:

SH4RKY
22-01-2010, 08:30 PM
the clutch is generally pretty solid, very few have had to have their master cylinder replaced but thats about it. its bomb proof like the rest of the transmission and drive train. the car was over engineered to take 400bhp.

err yeah... cooling system is pretty poor. the air con works, the unit just has a nasty habit of seizing though. not really MGs fault, its a general issue with the part. you can get a refurbed one from america for half the price of rebuild, and as long as the system is properly flushed it shouldnt be an issue again... haha. some havent had an issue though, its just something to be aware of.

but yeah, the cooling system is pretty weak. takes ages to clear the window or get warm etc. there is a member created valve which helps matters. but it all depends really... personally, i have no issue with it, it does the job well enough for me.

its a shame you cant access the main site as it would be great if you could read the press reviews from back when the car was launched! it gets compared to most things and in general the handling and chasis always get a BIG thumbs up. its a great car to drive. its has a different kind of power delievery to most cars though, its got a great slab of torque so it pulls from any gear at any speed, some say it feels slow, but the speed is a little deceptive becuase of the body control and what not.

Oh and its well built. mine doesnt squeak or rattle and nothing has dropped off.

go and have a look at one, it sounds like its your ideal car if you dont like the boring german image and want something unique with bundles of character. :D

ColinE
22-01-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm looking for something random and exciting and I've narrowed down my choices to a Clio V6 and a ZT 260 both appeal to me because they are the bonkers sort of thing someone wouuld build in a shed.

I have never owned a Rover/MG and only have experience of other peoples woe's with K series engines and rovers generally falling to pieces around them so I've come here for advice and information on the ZT 260 model.

A guy I work with used to own one and he only really had problems with the cooling system, air conditioning and the clutch.. But other than that he loved the car.

What are peoples opinions on the ZT 260 and are they a generally fun an rewarding car to drive? I've just sold my 3rd Impreza WRX because I find it boring and predictable (not sure why I keep buying them). The only car I have ever truely loved was my Lotus Carlton which I had before I had the commitments and expense of owning home and sadly I couldnt afford both so RWD and torque is what floats my boat plus I HATE the image of BMW's and Merc's which doesnt leave many choices :D

Anyhoo.. HELLO!

Where in the country are you - sure a local owner would take you for a spin :D after that - decision made

DaveyLC
22-01-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm in Berkshire near Reading :)

pessling
23-01-2010, 02:53 AM
local to a few of us then,

spunagain
23-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Some help here!
http://www.spunagain.co.uk/ZT260page.html

I've had mine for 5 years and 40k miles with no major problems, love it!

Biggest problems I've had were a water leak caused by a kinked air con pipe in the heater and clutch and gearbox oil seals. Rest is just servicing!

Regards
Spunagain

DaveyLC
23-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Cheers for that :) that links has come up a few times.

Does anyone know if the face lift front end is a direct fit on the pre-face lift car?

pessling
23-01-2010, 02:36 PM
it is, but you have to change the headlights, and a few other little things, like power wash pipe work

DaveyLC
23-01-2010, 02:39 PM
But the front panel is the same yeah? :)

SH4RKY
23-01-2010, 03:11 PM
yeah, it fits with the bonet and wings.

There are pics of SteveChilds frostfire red mk2 with a green mk1 bumper on it.

not sure how the front badge merges with the bonnet actually...

greeners
23-01-2010, 03:22 PM
All the panel work is the same between MKI and MKII's.

Headlights are different, and the MKI has a 2 jet p/wash where as the MKII is single.

I believe that the indicators are slightly deeper on the MKII
________
Motor engineering & manufacturing north america (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Motor_Engineering_&_Manufacturing_North_America)

John Newey
23-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi DaveyLC, I'm on my second ZT 260SE and I've had this one supercharged by Dreadnought Garage-fantastic! You'll love every minute, especially if you dislike merc's and BMW's (great leaving them at the lights!). Also you mention the Clio V6-great car, my mate had one, but eventually sold it because of lack of seats. At least the ZT is practical. Go for it-you won't regret it!

bernard lpg
23-01-2010, 08:39 PM
I've driven a Clio V6, awesome performance BUT it is a boy racer, bouncing over the road and frankly uncomfortable. I suppose it depends on your age, being a bit mature, to say the least, I've made my choice. :D

GeoffW
23-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Hi Davey, I have had many cars over the years and been very pleased with MGR products, I used to get a bit bored and never kept a car for more than 2 years,
that was Until I bought this one, I have had it now for over 4 years made a few mods etc and wouldnt want anything else, there are some faults that can appear as mentioned in above posts but considering the cars are now up to 6 years old very few new problems are occurring which shows just how robust these cars are, servicing is cheap considering its size.
I just love getting into it at weekends, turning the key and unleashing that X Power grow:):)

Stu C
23-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Hi Davey...you mention on .org about coming to the Birmingham meet next weekend, i assume you mean the Cannock one on the 75 club site?..

Your welcome to come up anyway! - There will be Me, Martin and Bernard with V8's there if you want to have a nosey round them ask questions and stuff :thumb

Zeb
23-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Hi Davey...you mention on .org about coming to the Birmingham meet next weekend, i assume you mean the Cannock one on the 75 club site?..

Your welcome to come up anyway! - There will be Me, Martin and Bernard with V8's there if you want to have a nosey round them ask questions and stuff :thumb

*Ahem* ... Zeb will also be present......:fight

bernard lpg
23-01-2010, 11:51 PM

Don't look too closely at mine, wrong lower grill mesh, odd mirrors, kerbed alloys and other blemishes! :mad:
But it's on the road and used every day. :D

bernard lpg
23-01-2010, 11:54 PM
*Ahem* ... Zeb will also be present......:fight

I thought that you were a maybe?

Zeb
24-01-2010, 12:14 AM
I thought that you were a maybe?

I believe I was down as a 'Highly Possible'..:p

Stu C
24-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Ahh sorry Zeb! - He'll be there too :D

@ Bernard...heh wouldnt worry bout the mesh, but odd mirrors? one chrome the other coloured?

DaveyLC
24-01-2010, 01:08 AM
Hi Davey, I have had many cars over the years and been very pleased with MGR products, I used to get a bit bored and never kept a car for more than 2 years,
that was Until I bought this one, I have had it now for over 4 years made a few mods etc and wouldnt want anything else, there are some faults that can appear as mentioned in above posts but considering the cars are now up to 6 years old very few new problems are occurring which shows just how robust these cars are, servicing is cheap considering its size.
I just love getting into it at weekends, turning the key and unleashing that X Power grow:):)

I need to find something that keeps me ammused! I've decided I think the MG is the way forward and I'm going to get myself a more economical daily car, currently I've got a Zafira as a daily car but its a 1.8 auto and it drinks like a fish for what it is.. I've just been offered a 1.5dci megane (£30/year tax and silly economy) so I might use that as an excuse to save money for a super charger conversion :D

Yeah I should be coming up but it depends on Lowey and if its ready to sell or not I'd prefer to come up with cash in my pocket on the chance of leaving with a car if I like it :)

bernard lpg
24-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Ahh sorry Zeb! - He'll be there too :D

@ Bernard...heh wouldnt worry bout the mesh, but odd mirrors? one chrome the other coloured?

No, no chrome!!! :shock Chrome is for the 75.

One powerfold bullet on the driver's side and the other is non-powerfold later mirror. Just haven't got the motivation to change it yet as it's not keeping the car off the road!

The new p/fold is sitting in the warm and dry environment of our spare bedroom alongside with the chrome covers for the 75's mirrors and about 100 other bits. :D

Mrs L not too happy about it. :( Good job I have put the spare set of alloys in the garage or I could be in real trouble.

lowey260
24-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Yes Stu,
Dave means the Chasewater meet next Sunday, I told him I would be attending myself on this occassion and at the same time it would be a good opportunity for him to ask any further questions he may have regarding ownership. Again in my post over on the Gentlemans site I said anyone is welcome to bring their cheque book / Cash and they can take mine home with them.

Look forward to seeing a few of you there:)

Stu C
24-01-2010, 08:59 PM
You too Lowey! - There seems to be a few more in the midlands with the 260's now. I may organise a midlands meet for us guys somewhere in the near future :)

black olive
25-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Go for it- just the noise when you fire it up makes ownership worthwhile.

Im in it for the long term- these cars are addictive

philthetorque
25-01-2010, 03:33 PM
When I was looking to buy my fisrt 260, I went to view it and the xpower rear boxes were already fitted, the guy wound it up and boooooom!!......you would buy it for sound alone. I almost did at that point - get one, you'll be making a great choice.

Phil.

greeners
25-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Well.......I've had 3 ZT's but never a V8. Always wanted one but could never afford one. Last year I went after 2 and lost them both, but finally got one, albeit with a bit of a chequered history, but at bargin price.

I've had it over a month and never driven it, nor, any ZTV8 coming to that.

I've wanted one since they were first released, and this was probably the best opportunity.

I can't wait to drive it, hopefully next week...:D:D:D:D:D
________
Subaru R1E Specifications (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Subaru_R1e)

Martin
25-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Well.......I've had 3 ZT's but never a V8. Always wanted one but could never afford one. Last year I went after 2 and lost them both, but finally got one, albeit with a bit of a chequered history, but at bargin price.

I've had it over a month and never driven it, nor, any ZTV8 coming to that.

I've wanted one since they were first released, and this was probably the best opportunity.

I can't wait to drive it, hopefully next week...:D:D:D:D:D

Oh yes I went from a 160 to a 260 Awesome What a thing to look forward to ENJOY and you will. :D X50

SH4RKY
25-01-2010, 05:16 PM
hmmm... chasewater again, wonder if it will be warmer than -5 like last time ;) haha

leadfoot
26-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Could someone tell me about the Chasewater meet please,when and where exactly? Thanks

Martin
26-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Could someone tell me about the Chasewater meet please,when and where exactly? Thanks

Hi Yes The details are Sunday 31st Jan 10.30am @ Pool Road, Brownhills, Wallsall West Mids WS8 7NL See You there ? Martin (this is a meet organised by the 75 & ZT Lad's )

Stu C
26-01-2010, 05:47 PM
hmmm... chasewater again, wonder if it will be warmer than -5 like last time ;) haha

You coming Ian?

Oooo someone else from Shropshire :D Be great if you could make it too, good meets :)

colintf
26-01-2010, 07:38 PM
I misread it as Chacewater, back home down in Cornwall :o

awoolmore
26-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Don't look too closely at mine, wrong lower grill mesh, odd mirrors, kerbed alloys and other blemishes! :mad:
But it's on the road and used every day. :D
See you use your's regularly, just how regularly. I'm in a quandry about whether to go for one as I tend to do a fair number of business miles a year. I do have the option of another car, but that would leave it to do the school run - nuff said.

I'm not desperately worried about costs, but given this car is going to be a future classic (here's hoping) then it seems a bit manic to clock up the miles on it, as opposed to just enjoy.

any thoughts?

... and no chance of three cars on the drive!

Martin
26-01-2010, 10:33 PM
See you use your's regularly, just how regularly. I'm in a quandry about whether to go for one as I tend to do a fair number of business miles a year. I do have the option of another car, but that would leave it to do the school run - nuff said.

I'm not desperately worried about costs, but given this car is going to be a future classic (here's hoping) then it seems a bit manic to clock up the miles on it, as opposed to just enjoy.

any thoughts?

I use mine every day and for work (I'm a painter) Sure I'm going to be more careful but hay I feel that the car was built to be driven and the engine is good and strong for a lot of miles, fuel might hurt a bit but no pain no gain a smile on my face every time I fire her up, I look forward to getting up. Can't beat it Martin :D

bernard lpg
27-01-2010, 08:57 PM
At my age I don't suppose that I'm going to be around by the time that they achieve classic status but I don't buy a car to look at it anyway.

It's my everyday car but we do have a Rover 75 V6 also on LPG so running costs are sensible for both cars.

It's just a scramble who gets out of the door first to grab the V8. :mad:

Tim
27-01-2010, 09:01 PM
It's just a scramble who gets out of the door first to grab the V8. :mad:

I take it due to your age again its not you Bernard :D :duck

spartacus
27-01-2010, 09:35 PM
I do have the option of another car, but that would leave it to do the school run - nuff said.

I've used mine on my personal 'school run' 3 miles each way to the station each day - no probs - the car car do it. Mind you, on a proper school run with all those eejuts in 4WDs - eeeek!

lowey260
27-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Sorry posted twice, please ignore this.

lowey260
27-01-2010, 10:00 PM

any thoughts?

I have used mine every single day since I have owned it. I have covered over 30k in 2.5 yrs and the previous owner another 30k. I bought it to drive it not park it in the garage wondering if it would gain classic status and rise in value.
I suppose there are people out there that buy a car in the hope it will rise in value, but shouldn't you buy a car to drive? I think what you have to ask yourself is do you want a 260 to drive, or a car that will appreciate in value? Whats your main reason for buying?

bernard lpg
27-01-2010, 10:13 PM
I take it due to your age again its not you Bernard :D :duck

Do y'know, we have not met but already I've gone off you. :fight

DaveyLC
30-01-2010, 06:44 PM
I've just bought Loweys car (Paul) and I've got a MASSIVE grin on my face :D

ColinE
30-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Good for you - and a good car too!

DaveyLC
30-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Had one little hicup, the throttle flipped over and stuck open on the way back, which almost made me soil myself! Is that common?

ColinE
30-01-2010, 06:54 PM
New one on me, I can only imagine the effect it had

DaveyLC
30-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Now I need a Zero exhaust and to start looking for a supercharger :D

pessling
30-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Had one little hicup, the throttle flipped over and stuck open on the way back, which almost made me soil myself! Is that common?

Never heard of that happening before. think i'd change my underwear just in case any way

Tim
31-01-2010, 12:09 PM
I've just bought Loweys car (Paul) and I've got a MASSIVE grin on my face :D

Good man, don't forget the questionnaire. ;)

Never heard of this before, it may be that the cable needs some lubrication/cleaning.

lowey260
31-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Never heard of this before, it may be that the cable needs some lubrication/cleaning.[/quote]

Tim could be right as your driving style was alot different to what the car had experienced in my ownership :)

DaveyLC
01-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Tim could be right as your driving style was alot different to what the car had experienced in my ownership :)

Judging to your reaction at the way I went around that round-a-bout I assume mine is a little different too :D