PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearings

philthetorque
21-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Apologies if this subject has already been discussed previously, but I can't seem to find a ref to my enquiry:
Are wheel bearings in general an issue i.e are they prone to early life replacement/failure/wear? - do they require attention from time to tme for say re-packing with grease, particularly to the rear wheels as there is more load -and if so is it a straight forward removal/refit?
I realise we all drive differently and that will obviously have an inpact, but I just want some reassurance via your personal experiences.

Thanks,
Phil.

pessling
21-01-2010, 03:35 PM
i can't recall any members on the forum having any issues with wheel bearings?

Herman
21-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Peter in the Netherlands had his replaced after initially they thought it was a drive shaft.

Post is here (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showpost.php?p=46938&postcount=16)

Manxmann
21-01-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm led to believe that wheel bearings on the entire 75/ZT range are strong and fail very rarely.

On my old ZT 160 I had the front passenger bearing replaced while trying to trace down a problem. The only one that the MG/Rover dealer had ever replaced.

Suffice to say the old bearing once removed showed no signs of wear after nearly 50k of Manx roads and trust me that some feat. The issue was finally tracked down to misaligned rear passenger wheel scrubbing the tyre.

Tim
21-01-2010, 09:28 PM
On the V8's I have had very little in the way of wheel bearings being reported as a problem.

ColinE
21-01-2010, 11:50 PM
From what I remember Scooter said he's never experienced a 260 wheel bearing fail on the race car

VXman
22-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Well i did post this somewhere about a year ago. I was getting wheel bearing noise and I got one changed and it was still noisy...took it back and they did the other which fixed it. Thats both rear wheel bearings at 45000 miles.

I wonder if my using my ZT-T as a bit of a van (carrying heavy gear to gigs on a weekly basis) has had a detrimental effect on them.

My old posts on the issue:

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=3631

and

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=3899

scooter
22-01-2010, 09:58 PM
The wheel bearings are very good on the car, we have never had to change one on a 260. We did change one on the n/s rear along with a driveshaft of the 520 just as a precaution before Silverstone as that side takes a lot of punishment there was only a slight amount of play in the shaft outer joint and the bearing but both still in good condition.

colintf
23-01-2010, 05:09 PM
The wheel bearings are very good on the car, we have never had to change one on a 260. We did change one on the n/s rear along with a driveshaft of the 520 just as a precaution before Silverstone as that side takes a lot of punishment there was only a slight amount of play in the shaft outer joint and the bearing but both still in good condition.

thats good to hear!

:cool: