PDA

View Full Version : Winter cleaning

pessling
09-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Well other than them special people able to garage there pride and joy, those of us who have to suffer the snow and more so the salty roads, has any one been brave enough to have hand washed there car yet?

Before this weeks snow i did jet wash most of the salt off, under the car, wheel arches etc, and washed off the body, although no contact what so ever other than the pressure washer. Car was then washed after my C service. Even after just driving home from the service the car is looking worse for wear.

So any one been out and hand washed theirs this week?

Stu C
09-01-2010, 10:17 PM
No as it will wash the salt off the drive lol! - but will take it round to the jet wash monday after work which is under cover so protected from the ice, just to jet the sale from under the arches...

I dont want it going like my 600 started to :(

pessling
09-01-2010, 10:22 PM
yeah, although i want to clean it the weather is telling me know, but as long as the salt is washed off the car, should be good. good clean, polish and wax come some sunshine, weather it will be this month is another thing.

Stu C
09-01-2010, 10:26 PM
yeah, although i want to clean it the weather is telling me know, but as long as the salt is washed off the car, should be good. good clean, polish and wax come some sunshine, weather it will be this month is another thing.

Yeah its bugging me to wash the car looking all white and horrible. Had to give the truck a "dirty" wash yesterday when I got back, bucket of hot water to brush the salt off and another bucket of hot water to swill off.....looks crap but least I can see out my windows and not have salt all over my hands when opening the door :rolleyes:

pessling
09-01-2010, 10:29 PM
get that squeezing between my car and the parents jeep, get a smear of salt on your clothes and a smear along the car.

ColinE
09-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Got at least 3 inches of solid ice here - not risking adding any more water to that - we're expecting up to another 6 inches of snow here tonight

black olive
10-01-2010, 12:59 AM
hot and cold outside taps and hosepipe solid, so no car washing here

ColinE
10-01-2010, 01:02 AM
hot and cold outside taps and hosepipe solid, so no car washing here

Hot outside tap - blimey that's posh :fight:~

SteveW
10-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Hand washed mine last weekend, though we didn't have any snow at that time.
Snow is now melting here, despite the fact more is falling, so hopefully I will be able to give it a jet wash sometime the this week. Then just need it to warm up a little so I can continue with the machine polishing :D

Then need a dry weekend so I can get the front bumper off to change the headlight and secure the front mesh that I noticed has come loose. May change the Xenon bulbs too, as i am a little disappointed in there performance.

black olive
10-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Bit of forward planning when we did the kitchen extension. saves filling buckets inside

colintf
10-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Well other than them special people able to garage there pride and joy, those of us who have to suffer the snow and more so the salty roads, has any one been brave enough to have hand washed there car yet?

Before this weeks snow i did jet wash most of the salt off, under the car, wheel arches etc, and washed off the body, although no contact what so ever other than the pressure washer. Car was then washed after my C service. Even after just driving home from the service the car is looking worse for wear.

So any one been out and hand washed theirs this week?

Hand washed mine the thursday before last weekend.

Only the front wheels have venured out of the garage since then (yesterday)!

:cool:

lowey260
10-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Washed mine last weekend but have covered over 500 miles since then so looking a bit worse for the weather again:ash

pessling
10-01-2010, 07:41 PM
At least some of us are in the same boat.

thunderbird2
21-01-2010, 10:19 PM
At least some of us are in the same boat.

At least you can use your car! After 3 years of every day use, I've got another set of wheels to use everyday so that I can keep the mileage down on TB2. I cleared out the garage for the first time in years and put my car away. (After a clean and dry off) First time I used it after that a coil pack's failed. So back to the garage and save up some cash to get replacement/s. Can't wait.

ColinE
21-01-2010, 10:35 PM
They get stroppy if they are not given enough attention

pessling
21-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Must be more to it Darren to keep loosing coils at the rate your going through them, Has the garage been able to draw any other conclusions.

Although you wont have the pleasure of using your car everyday, at least you'll be able too look after that lovely paint, and enjoy it even more when you can use it.

colintf
22-01-2010, 07:06 PM
At least you can use your car! After 3 years of every day use, I've got another set of wheels to use everyday so that I can keep the mileage down on TB2. I cleared out the garage for the first time in years and put my car away. (After a clean and dry off) First time I used it after that a coil pack's failed. So back to the garage and save up some cash to get replacement/s. Can't wait.

hope you get it sorted soon mate!

:cool:

Max260
07-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Ah! Just stick it through the car wash...... Mine goes through regularly. Well its going to get a new paint job in about a years time as there are loads of stone chips now, what with the car being used everyday come rain or shine. Being dug out of snow and ice three times this year (great drifting practice on the large empty car park at work when covered with snow and ice). Salt, Snow, Mud, Salt, Stones, and huge holes in the road. Little Willie soldiers on so very well. With a big waxing and polishing twice a year and regular small waxes in the car wash and all the important bits underneath waxoil'd.

Even just after a good was he looks all shiny. 83K and still shining..... Its a car thats to be driven not just looked at. Drive it well and it'll last forever (well almost)!!