PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in France!!!

spitfire_on_wheels
26-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Hi, I am a proud MG ZT v8 owner from the UK and am new to the forum :)

However, Im in a bit of trouble at the moment and could use some help. I have just come to the end of a skiing holiday and have to leave tomorrow. I went to start the car this morning and when turning the key there was nothing, no electrics came on at any click and not the slightest lurch of the starter motor. So first thoughts is that the battery has no charge whatsoever, but why would the battery drain after 6 days of non use. It is a good battery and has never failed me before even after a period of it not being used. So I am thinking some kind of electrical fault, maybe a blown fuse, although I have checked a few and they are all ok.

There are a few things that make me think it is an electrical fault. Before leaving I noticed the inside of the boot was soaking after I washed the car. Water had got into the battery compartment and has ruined the CD changer and I think its ECU?? and another box was wet.

The on the drive down to France strange things started happening. The Air Con stopped functioning properly and displayed 'Er' on the LCD. Also the actual indicator light worked but nothing appeared on the dash board when they were on. And finally the boot wouldnt open, which meant clambering into the boot to get the emergency boot release.

I took a look at the electronics in the boot and the only sign of damage was to the wire connecting the CD player to the CD changer, there was green copper oxide around the connector. Could this have shorted the circuit and drained the battery? Or do you think it is more likely a problem cause by a busted ECU or something? Anyone had this kind of problem before (unlikely I know haha)?

Appreciate any help,

Pete

Tim
26-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Welcome Pete.

You need to replace/recharge the battery but before that a hair dryer to the boot would not go amiss. With our cars the boot has become very sensitive to moisture or direct water and your description suggests your situation was a breakdown waiting to happen. Sounds like either the screen, side trim pegs, or rubber seal is letting water in. My bet is the trim pegs. Law of physics :D water and electricity don't mix. Plus humidity and cold surfaces = condensation.

The boot needs to be dry before fitting the battery but a get me home jobbie would be a new battery and hair dryer around the sensitive parts.

What ever happens with getting power back, don't disconnect the satnav while the red light is on.

Fill in the questionnaire when you get back and learn more about your car. ;)

Nich
26-12-2009, 10:42 AM
You may also find that if you replace the battery you will need to reset the control box in the boot (black box with red button on top).

Strange and unpredictable things can happen with an old battery. Mine discharged over a period of a few days and even when it was recharged it would not start the car. I replaced it and haven't had any trouble since - tempting fate I know.

As Tim says open the boot and wait for the red light on the SatNav to go out before disconnecting the old battery, don't open any doors or operate any other functions until this happens. Any interruption during its 'wake up' process can damage the unit.

Good luck.

Nich.

SH4RKY
26-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Seal on one of my lights went, boot promptley filled with water.

spitfire_on_wheels
28-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Hi guys,

Pleased to say I am now back home safe. Made sure the battery compartment was dry and then jump started it, with the CD changer disconnected and now the boot, air con and indicator lights on the dashboard now work. So must have been a short in the CD connection that messed up the voltages or something that made everything else stop working and the battery to drain completely. The mechanic who jump started it agreed.

Will look at the seals around the boot to find the cause, cheers for the help! Will also look at the questionairre :)

Rupert

colintf
28-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Hi Pete, welcome and good luck!!

:cool:

ColinE
28-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Welcome - how are things going???