PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Rear Screen For Zt Estate

Big Frank
13-12-2009, 12:22 AM
I need to replace my rear screen for the ZT-T although its a MK2 I think earlier models also fit. It's a standard screen not privacy tinted. Reason to replace- failed heating elements. Can anyone help? BF

Nich
13-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Try Les at SMC Frank, this may include the screen:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-Tourer-MG-ZT-T-Tailgate-BRAND-NEW-PAINTED_W0QQitemZ200356102598QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2ea62781c 6

Nich.

peterv8
13-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Try Les at SMC Frank, this may include the screen:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-Tourer-MG-ZT-T-Tailgate-BRAND-NEW-PAINTED_W0QQitemZ200356102598QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2ea62781c 6

Nich.

No glass, just the tailgate.

Nich
13-12-2009, 03:31 PM
No glass, just the tailgate.

Am I missing something? Doesn't say without glass which is why I said may include the screen.

Nich.

AndyG
13-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Am I missing something? Doesn't say without glass which is why I said may include the screen.

Nich.

http://thumbsnap.com/s/TwpByhRJ.jpg (http://thumbsnap.com/v/TwpByhRJ.jpg)

scooter
13-12-2009, 04:19 PM
If the filiment of the heated screen is damaged you can get a special paint that conducts electricity which will connect up the break. With care you can also re-solder the connections.

Nich
13-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Oops! Should always read the small print.........:ash

Big Frank
14-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions but no luck so far with sourcing a cheaper replacement (Roverbreakers want £225 which is where I went last time). I did consider the electrical contact paint route but to be honest I cannot see where the break(s) are and curiously the centre three rows are thankfully still working. This is the second time its happened workiing one moment and then nothing (well a few rows only). At a quoted cost of over £600 for a replacement I think I'll have a chat with my insurance company to see if I am covered.

Kindest regards, BF

leadfoot
24-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi Frank, the same thing has happend to my tourer rear screen,all the elements have burned out all on the offside ,you can see a kind of burn mark. Anyone know why this should happen ? I am reluctant to replace it incase it is something to do with the car and not the screen.

pessling
24-12-2009, 12:12 PM
sounds like to much current going through the elements, i guess they use a lot to heat the elements, although not sure how much. worth finding out, at least that way it could be reduced

anthony27
31-12-2009, 09:12 PM
same problem on mine, been like that for a while. It sleeps indoors so never really missed it.

I mentioned the touch-up paint trick to my dealer, he said it was not likely to last.

I wonder if Rimmer Bros have the part in stock?

John Newey
03-01-2010, 01:59 PM
We get loads of these on Rover 75 and ZT-T's. Used ones are expensive because most of the breakers know how extortionate new ones are! Any one know why they cost £600 or more?

AndyG
03-01-2010, 02:59 PM
...................... Any one know why they cost £600 or more?

Demand and Manufacture:(

Is it not covered on Insurance??

Happy New 400 Year

Martin Warner
03-01-2010, 03:47 PM
My rear screen only had a couple of elements working when I bought it. A magnifying glass showed up very fine cracks in the other elements. I used some of the repair paint from Halfords to good effect and got them all working.

Unfortunately two years on none of the elements work at all. There is power to the screen and I cannot see any cracks. New screens are about £600 and second hand ones are about £200, but can you be sure that a second hand one will work after a complicated and not cheap fitting by a third party with no comeback.

I feel that I have power connection problem somewhere at the first source to the screen. I have had two different electricians look at it and both have shrugged their shoulders. I think it has to be a new screen but am baulking at the price. Are there enough ZT-T owners needy enough to see if a bulk purchase can get us a sensible price?

Martin

AndyG
03-01-2010, 04:44 PM
....................... Are there enough ZT-T owners needy enough to see if a bulk purchase can get us a sensible price?
Martin

If all the MG forums got together possibly, I would have 1.

What price is reasonable?

As MG Z sites go, I do not frequent the others, so can't help there. :o
I can talk to my friend who runs a Windscreen fitting Co. to see if he knows the Manufacturers.

:)

leadfoot
09-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Seems to be quite a common problem. I have never had a screen element burn out before.On other vehicles odd non working elements have obvious damage and I have repaired them with the conductive paint quite succesfully.On the ZTT all the elements have burnt on the offside of the screen where they go under the trim.I feel that replacing the screen is rather futile as this looks like an electrical problem within the car.Any of you electrical experts got any ideas ?

greeners
09-01-2010, 04:19 PM
If anyone wants a replacement screen I've got one in the shed that came off my 190 ZTT.

It needs to be split from the frame and re bonded as it was leaking like a sieve.

From memory, all bar one element was working, possibly 2

?30 collection only
________
Yamaha Xv1600A Specifications (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_XV1600A)

AndyG
09-01-2010, 08:11 PM
If anyone wants a replacement screen I've got one in the shed that came off my 190 ZTT.
It needs to be split from the frame and re bonded as it was leaking like a sieve.
£30 collection only

I am interested in it as a spare, if no one else needs it.

mikpeirce
10-01-2010, 12:27 PM

£30 collection only

David,

I'll take that rear screen as none of my elements are working.

Send me a PM with contact details and I'll collect when convienient as I'm only down the road from you in Hatfield.

Cheers,

greeners
10-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Mik

You have PM,
________
Vapor Genie Vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/vapor-genie)

anthony27
12-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Any of you electrical experts got any ideas ?

I recall reading on another thread that it could also be a relay in the fuse box under the bonnet.

But if that's working then the fault is likely to be coming from the screen.

Martin Haworth
13-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Mine's gone too; the gaps are visible on one side. The switch has been left on, assuming that a thermostat turns it off when it is not needed.
If any are being ordered, count me in.
Martin Haworth

Martin Warner
13-01-2010, 11:55 AM
If all the MG forums got together possibly, I would have 1.

What price is reasonable?

As MG Z sites go, I do not frequent the others, so can't help there. :o
I can talk to my friend who runs a Windscreen fitting Co. to see if he knows the Manufacturers.

Andy, it looks like we need a list of potential purchasers as there seem to be quite a few. Any luck with your friend on a bulk purchase?

Martin

BigA
13-01-2010, 12:02 PM
I have two tourers so I guess I should take a spare if you do a bulk purchase (they're both working fine but that doesn't usually stop me!:))

spartacus
13-01-2010, 12:25 PM
You could contact THIS LOT (http://www.heatedwindscreen.com/index.html) to see if they would be prepared to make some. My brother got a heated screen for his kit car from them. From their site, it looks like they've done all sorts of things, so might be worth a pop?

Martin Haworth
13-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Autoglass will fit for £446 all in; I would much prefer if the club made a purchase. Please advise if this might be likely because I ought not to delay overmuch.
Martin Haworth

AndyG
13-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Andy, it looks like we need a list of potential purchasers as there seem to be quite a few. Any luck with your friend on a bulk purchase?

Martin

Need a few definate interested people 10-20?

Martin Haworth 1
Martin Warner 1
AndyG 1
BigA 1
John Newey?
all ZTT owners ??

Martin Haworth
13-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Martin Haworth 1

AndyG
13-01-2010, 07:09 PM
We need to take this away from Public Sector. :)

leadfoot
16-01-2010, 03:26 PM
I would be interested

Martin Warner
16-01-2010, 09:04 PM
You could contact THIS LOT (http://www.heatedwindscreen.com/index.html) to see if they would be prepared to make some. My brother got a heated screen for his kit car from them. From their site, it looks like they've done all sorts of things, so might be worth a pop?

I contacted the chap recommended by Mark. Unfortunately he reckons the tooling would be thousands so he thinks it would be best to go back to the dealer or original manufacturer. Do any of the ex MG guys on here know who the original manufacturer was?

Martin

greeners
16-01-2010, 09:46 PM
I contacted the chap recommended by Mark. Unfortunately he reckons the tooling would be thousands so he thinks it would be best to go back to the dealer or original manufacturer. Do any of the ex MG guys on here know who the original manufacturer was?

Martin

this might answer a question or two regarding getting a run of screens made (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=303347&postcount=1)
________
BOX VAPORIZERS (http://boxvaporizers.com)

Big Frank
24-01-2010, 12:02 AM
If we are still collecting names for a possible bulk purchase deal then put me down for a screen.

Zeb
24-01-2010, 11:26 AM
If your screen breaks you can get a replacement for the £60 - £70 excess on your car insurance..a mate of mine had a new one fitted and working inside four hours after his rear screen on his 75 tourer after his rear screen shattered.

MG260SEV8
22-02-2010, 10:14 AM
I have had 3 Rover 75 and MG ZT tourers, all 2004, all HRW Failures. Two completely burned out down the side and one which was low mileage had 3 or 4 elements failed.

I wondered if the problem is on later cars and if early 75 Tourers are OK?

There could have been a faulty batch late on?

kcv
22-02-2010, 02:54 PM
All fully functioning on my mark 1 (vin197) so it may be a later batch problem.
Did I really just commit the cardinal sin of saying something is working, I'll wait for it to pack up now.:~

Big Frank
23-02-2010, 06:22 PM
If we are still collecting names please include me for a HRW for my Mk2 ZTT.

anthony27
23-02-2010, 08:24 PM
I would like one too, please. MkII ZT-T

leadfoot
25-02-2010, 09:26 AM
You can add me to the list mkII ZT-T

AndyG
25-02-2010, 12:26 PM
If this does happen, Yes Please ;)

ColinE
25-02-2010, 09:03 PM
For once it's nice to be able to say NO THANKS :D:D:D