PDA

View Full Version : Erratic And Poor Radio Recption

LINDEN CAHILL
30-11-2009, 11:37 PM
HI
CAN ANYONE SUGGEST WHAT MAY BE THE PROBLEM,VERY POOR RADIO RECEPTION BUT SOMETIMES CAN TRAVEL 70 MILES AND IT WILL BE BRILLIANT,ITS HIT AND MISS BUT IT DRIVES ME NUTS.I DONT KNOW IF ITS THE RADIO OR RECIEVER.THE BOOT IS DRY WERE THE ELECTRONICS ARE.:confused:
THE CAR IS A ZT 260 SE 2004
MANY THANKS

Keith
01-12-2009, 07:48 PM
NO NEED TO SHOUT :D

First things first are you ensuring the HRW is off as that buggers up Radio reception in a big way

LINDEN CAHILL
01-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Hi,
Thanks For Reply,i Will Try It With H.r.w Of But Surely Car Wasn,t Built Or Designed With This Fault Already Present,there Must Be A Fix
Cheers

leadfoot
02-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Rubbish radio reception makes me shout too. It isnt obvious to everyone that capitals is shouting.I didnt know until very recently. Any way my radio is rubbish too,was told by MG Rover dealer(no longer in business)that it was an aerial problem and they fiddled with connection to aerials, located in rear side windows on tourers like mine,which improved it for a while. I've been tempted to fit a proper aerial but would be very upset after drilling a hole in the body to find it didnt help. Has any body done this? I've got cars from the seventies,vans and all sorts with perfect reception,so whats wrong with the 260's?

spartacus
02-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Interesting - I've never had any issues with radio reception, it's always been fine. Could it be that they sorted it before they got to the later cars?

If full capitals counts as shouting, does word capitalisation count as rasing your voice a bit? Bloody netiquette. I'd much rather people shouted in English than used fkin txt spk :mad:

LINDEN CAHILL
02-12-2009, 10:05 PM
hi
in small letters,lol.
it definetly is worst with hrw on i suppose its because the aerial is in rear screen,i dont know i am just guessing
thanks

ColinE
02-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Interesting - I've never had any issues with radio reception, it's always been fine. Could it be that they sorted it before they got to the later cars?

If full capitals counts as shouting, does word capitalisation count as rasing your voice a bit? Bloody netiquette. I'd much rather people shouted in English than used fkin txt spk :mad:

Never had any issue with radio reception in #456

ToTaLlY aGrEe On ThE nEtiqUeTte stuff

2V8s
03-12-2009, 06:57 PM
my reception is also a lot worse with heated rear window on. It is ok otherwise, but admitedly not as good as on an older car I have with a proper ariel. where I can pick up other stations or carry a signal much further.

on the shouting/caps thing - although it isnt a big deal, writing with caps on/upper case is (forum wise) generally considered to be raising of voice so I concur with Keith - but we've all done it where you type a big long message then realise the caps lock was on - DOH!!!!!! can one be bothered to rewrite in lower caps - of course not. So obviously reading what's written its obvious it isnt meant to be shouting so no issue. just my two peeneth worth.

LINDEN CAHILL
03-12-2009, 09:20 PM
hi
i had no idea about the caps lock/big letter thing,i will know in future.but my question was not to anyone person so i dont consider it to be shouting,but it i dont mind being told by people in the know so to speak.its all a learning curve.
thanks

Keith
04-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Poor radio reception on some cars has always been a 75 issue especially with the HRW on, it affects some cars worse than others

Once upon a time the Hi line and higher spec standard Radios had a diversity input from two feeds from the HRW I think MGR stopped that as part of project drive. If you pull off the off side cover where the HRW connections are you will find the diversity amplifier but chances are it only has one coax going to the radio

Trying to separate the cables can help iirc
Mike McCabe has discussed possible fixes for this iirc.

LINDEN CAHILL
04-12-2009, 09:26 PM
hi
many thanks i will have a look at what you have said
thanks again

BigA
04-12-2009, 09:50 PM
I've never got to the bottom of the radio reception problem (on AM)

My 260 and 75 have exactly the same unit but the difference is very obvious even in the same location. The 260's fine, the 75 is crap
Both are fine on FM

black olive
08-12-2009, 11:52 PM
my mark 2 diesel was very poor- Black olive is fine- the radio antenna to hrw connection is behind the nearside rear pillar trim. I believe the diversity amplifier was deleted as part of project "drive".

a saerch on the 75 and zt owners forum may bring up some suggestions

V8NDV
09-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Same problem with No.64 OK when heated rear window turned off.:mad: