PDA

View Full Version : Grey ZT on ebay

dobbo
29-09-2009, 10:48 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=380159127578&Category=18262&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1

Anybody know this car? Price looks a bit high to me, but as it's the closest car to come up for sale to me I figure it may be worth a look.

Phil
29-09-2009, 12:09 PM
"Price looks a bit high to me",
This seems to be your mantra. Perhaps you should be looking for a 1.8

dobbo
29-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Sorry if it offends you Phil, but there's no need for the dig about the 1.8.

I've got up to £10k waiting for the right car but I'm not going to pay over the odds just for the sake of it, you might be able to afford to do that but I can't, not if I want to keep my wife as well as get a new car.

In any case I'm only basing my comments on what cars are actually selling for.

Witness Clive's newer, lower mileage car selling for less than this, when this and other cars on the market for more money aren't moving for weeks at a time. If the price on these other cars was right, they'd be selling, no?

I'm not trying to talk down the price, I'm just being realistic. At £7600 I'd be up there tomorrow buying the car, but at £8500 I think I can wait because there will be a better value car along soon.

:)

timh
29-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Bell them and say you have 7K max in your pocket and is it worth coming to look at it.

Because of the type of car prices are going to be all over the place at the moment. Take mine, I would sell it for £30k :D

Sorry if it offends you Phil, but there's no need for the dig about the 1.8.

I've got up to £10k waiting for the right car but I'm not going to pay over the odds just for the sake of it, you might be able to afford to do that but I can't, not if I want to keep my wife as well as get a new car.

In any case I'm only basing my comments on what cars are actually selling for.

Witness Clive's newer, lower mileage car selling for less than this, when this and other cars on the market for more money aren't moving for weeks at a time. If the price on these other cars was right, they'd be selling, no?

I'm not trying to talk down the price, I'm just being realistic. At £7600 I'd be up there tomorrow buying the car, but at £8500 I think I can wait because there will be a better value car along soon.

dobbo
29-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks Tim, I was planning to call before going, just thought I'd check if anyone knew the car.

The monogram poseidon car that's currently for sale isn't far away from there either so I could view both in an afternoon... The wife has said she doesn't like the flip paint but I'm sure I could get away with it...

timh
29-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I can look later when I'm home ;)

Thanks Tim, I was planning to call before going, just thought I'd check if anyone knew the car.

The monogram poseidon car that's currently for sale isn't far away from there either so I could view both in an afternoon... The wife has said she doesn't like the flip paint but I'm sure I could get away with it...

precious metal
29-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Dobbo, these cars do have a selective market but they are few and far between and the prices have stabilised recently and as used car prices have increased in the last 6 months ago you may have to pay more for one now than earlier in the year.

and also i note looking at all your posts in recent weeks every car you have mentioned or you have found you basically say "its too expensive", you need to compare whats on the market and not suggested RRP, if they all seem expensive then you have to accept thats the market and they are achieving higher prices tha you hoped

if its a bargain its probably a scam advert or something wrong with the car. The grey one in warwick will probably sell for around £8k minimum

goodluck

JB

dobbo
29-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the comments - I don't think I'm being unrealistic and must point out that I'd probably pay £8k for the grey one if it really is as good as it looks.

I've seen around 6 cars sell reasonably quickly in the last few weeks that are all similar age/spec/mileage to this one, and they have all been listed at under £7500. The cars listed higher than that don't seem to be selling.

That's all I'm basing my comments on - cars that are actually selling and what they were for sale at.

Of course now I've got all the money together the prices seem to have all crept up - but will they sell at those prices? Time will tell. Probably one of them will, and to me as well, because I REALLY want one NOW!!!

Just to add - I haven't said "too expensive" to every car - most of the one's I've considered are just too far away for it to be easy to view them unless I know for certain I'm buying.

You'll notice that every car I've said "too expensive" to hasn't sold yet, whilst others are moving.

precious metal
29-09-2009, 02:39 PM
because I REALLY want one NOW!!!

if thats the case then i think you will have to pay the going rate / price

goodluck in your search for the right car

JB

Q-car
29-09-2009, 02:58 PM
I sometimes wonder what the 'average' or market price is currently, for a 260SE. My insurance company (P.B.) reckons 6.5K which I think is on the low side, even for a 50K, 03 model in good order. Anybody any idea?

Phil
29-09-2009, 03:20 PM
P.B. = Peter Best?
Peter Best gave me an agreed valuation of £12k based on a series of photographs, which I think is fair.
(55 plate, less than 20k mls)
I don't think you can have an average market value on a car which is so rare. As I have posted previously, when Tim and I started this site all the cars were fairly new and much the same in terms of value. Since then, some have been written off, some have done close to 100k miles and some have been treated badly. Unlike Tim's which is licked clean every night and has it's own electric blanket in it's bedroom.

The fact is that all car values have been very low lately and large capacity engines have been ostracized in the media as being "not PC".
This, in addition to road tax loading has made them pretty much bargain basement for a couple of years. The fact now though, is that people are starting to wake up the the fact that they have an intrinsic value in that they were very expensive when they were new and, coupled with the turnaround in road tax loading for pre March 06 cars, the prices have started to rise. They are still very good value and a particularly good long term investment, which is why there aren't many around for sale.

The point I am making (although deviating somewhat) is that a low production run car has to be valued pretty much in isolation, on its own merits.
Sure, it has to compare favourably to the next car, but think of it this way, if you were preparing to buy a car to keep for ten years, a large lazy V8 is what has been (over the decades) the preferred choice of the connoisseur.

The ZT260 is a well designed and built, reliable, good looking vehicle that you can live with day to day. There is good support on here and elsewhere and can be modified to your requirements, whether you buy an SE or start with the base model and add the extras you feel you want. Everything can be retrofitted and/or improved on.

Find a good one and you will have a good friend for years to come. Don't look for an average price though, because an average price between three or four cars will never be indicative and they will all be different anyway. ;)

Tim
29-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Its 040 came off the production line October 2003 and is on the original reg number. Its got leather and is an SE.

dobbo
30-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks Tim! Just need to find someone to give me a lift up there now...

JohnB
30-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks Tim! Just need to find someone to give me a lift up there now...

Where abouts do you live dobbo ?

dobbo
30-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm near Bristol, but they've taken a deposit on this car, so I guess I've missed out.

Probably my own fault for posting the link here!

I'm going to look at another car on saturday, keeping my mouth shut this time in case someone beats me to it again.

dobbo
03-10-2009, 04:49 PM
By some stroke of luck the person who had put the deposit on the grey one was a no show, so it's now sat on my drive.

So much for sticking to a budget.

JohnB
03-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Congratulations dobbo, let the fun begin :D

dobbo
03-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks John! Job one, some custom back boxes, the standard ones are way too quiet, and I want quad rolled in pipes so the zeros are out too.

I suspect the zeros wouldn't be loud enough for me anyway.

lowey260
04-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Welcome and congratulations on your purchase.

Regarding the custom back boxes the ones Clive has just sold that you commented on he got from these people: http://www.exhaustsuk.co.uk/

He paid £400 fitted which is very good in my opinion. I was thinking of buying his used one's but considering the price new including fitting I think a new pair are a better purchase, thats what im looking to get anyway.

Looking where your based it may be a bit too far to travel but may be worth a phone call?

tapped
04-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks John! Job one, some custom back boxes, the standard ones are way too quiet, and I want quad rolled in pipes so the zeros are out too.

I suspect the zeros wouldn't be loud enough for me anyway.

Well done on the purchase, I drove past that car last weekend and it looked very tidy ( I live in Warwick).

Made me miss mine!

Hope you're looking after her JohnB ;)

JohnB
04-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Made me miss mine!

Hope you're looking after her JohnB ;)

Sure am Paul, just had the 40,000 service done and no problems. Still enjoy her as much as always. Do you still have the TF ? Just had the head gasket and cambelt done on my F, ouch!
Cheers, John.

T16
05-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah I thought that was way overpriced too.

Im holding out for a Mk 2 at the very least for that sort of cash.

lowey260
05-10-2009, 08:36 PM
T16 have you seen this one seems good value if your in the market :

http://www.autocarsofmansfield.co.uk/16914/stock.htm

GeoffW
08-10-2009, 10:01 PM
The thing is if there is as an average price for our cars then you will usually be getting average condition, and as our cars get older that average condition will
not please everybody, as with age they will get scruffier as all cars will , but in our case most owners pamper there's as most plan to keep them, personally if I was planning on buying one now I would probably have to pay over the odds for a real minter,( yes I am fussy) thats if you can find one :)

tapped
11-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Sure am Paul, just had the 40,000 service done and no problems. Still enjoy her as much as always. Do you still have the TF ? Just had the head gasket and cambelt done on my F, ouch!
Cheers, John.

Hi John,

Glad to hear it. Nope TF lasted all of about 3 weeks. Felt horrible after the v8 and the aftermarekt dampers were awful (spax ones with very loose mounting bolts)

75 has now gone too and I've got a 530D now. As much torque as the V8 but does 45 mpg....not quite as much fun though....

JohnB
11-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Hi John,

Glad to hear it. Nope TF lasted all of about 3 weeks. Felt horrible after the v8 and the aftermarekt dampers were awful (spax ones with very loose mounting bolts)

75 has now gone too and I've got a 530D now. As much torque as the V8 but does 45 mpg....not quite as much fun though....

A nice car I'm sure but at the moment I'll trade 25 mpg for the noise alone :D

Belcher
12-10-2009, 10:48 PM
I notice this car (the one Dobbo bought) has a spare in the boot. A spacesaver by the looks of it. How did they squeeze that in? Couldnt even get a pram wheel in mine :confused:

ColinE
12-10-2009, 11:17 PM
I notice this car (the one Dobbo bought) has a spare in the boot. A spacesaver by the looks of it. How did they squeeze that in? Couldnt even get a pram wheel in mine :confused:

Have a full size spare and trolly jack in mine = no room for anything else