PDA

View Full Version : Yet another potential buyer!

Roadsterstu
29-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi there! I'm currently doing my research and looking into getting myself a 260, be it ZT or ZT-T. I can see the appeal of both and know of the extra rarity of the estates. I have hankered after one of these cars since first seeing one on Top Gear.

My main problem is, however, that I have never been up close to one of these cars yet, let alone been driven in one. I'm near Nuneaton and have seen some Midlands-based members on here and wondered if any kindly souls may be willing to meet up and show me over the car? Naturally I wouldn't expect a drive myself - you wouldn't would you, with someone you didn't know - but a short ride out in a car would be hugely appreciated if that were possible, but the main reason would be to just point out those areas to be mindful of when buying. I'm a genuine bloke and if anyone is able to oblige, I'll PM my phone number so we can chat first.

This seems like a good, friendly place, so I look forward to someone being able to help me out.

Thanks, chaps,

Stu

Tim
29-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Hello and welcome Stu.

Stu C
29-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Hi Stu! - If you want, on the 13th September there is a meet in Cannock with the 75&ZT club and me and a guy by the user name merl will be there with our V8's. Your more then welcome to come up! :thumb

black olive
29-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Hi stuart, get yourself assimilated . where are you ?

Roadsterstu
30-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Hi all, and thanks for the welcome. I'm near Nuneaton. The meet on 13 Sept sounds good but I'm working during the day, sadly. And it's the missus' birthday, so we'll be out later on. If I book a day off work to look at cars but not do anything with her for her birthday, I'll be in for it...!

I could manage a run out a few miles across the Midlands to meet up sometime, however, if it's convenient.

ksilver
31-08-2009, 03:39 PM
If I book a day off work to look at cars but not do anything with her for her birthday, I'll be in for it...!

You say that like it's a bad thing !! :stir

Stu C
31-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Ah thats a shame, bring her with you and stop off on the way back for a meal?.....:D

If i'd have known about this on sat i'd have stopped off coming back from Bedford, :Duh:(

pessling
31-08-2009, 05:10 PM
hello and welcome, another stu to add to the collective

Roadsterstu
08-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Well I've tried to get Sunday off work but it's not going to happen, sadly, otherwise I would have had a run up to Cannock. Stu C, I've PM'd you, for info.

I was out and about with work last night, near where I live. Anyone on here know of a grey facelift 260 saloon on a 54 plate, in Hinckley? If the owner is on here, it could be a really useful contact for me...

Stu

ProtoZT
14-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Just picked up this thread shame, I was in Bulkington on Saturday fishing. If you don't get yourself sorted then send me a PM I might be over there again in the next 2 weeks as I had a really great day and as always a thoroughly enjoyable journey....

Paul

Roadsterstu
16-09-2009, 12:51 PM
PM sent...

Roadsterstu
21-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Number 314 will soon be in my possession and a member of this group. Full details later this evening, when I have time.

:D

Roadsterstu
22-09-2009, 01:49 AM
Basically the car has some cosmetic work to be sorted out, which the garage are doing - smart repair type jobs to the bumpers, etc. Also, the driver's seat bolster has worn and ripped from drivers getting in and out. This too, is to be repaired. The other work being done prior to collection is:

Aircon compressor being replaced and system fully tested

Scuffs on alloys being repaired

Tracking/alignment (slight pull to left)

Handbrake adjustment (top of travel)

Passenger seat won't slide fore and aft, so is being fixed

Service due imminently so being serviced

12 months MOT

12 months warranty

Valet inside and out

The car has a fully stamped service history, most from the dealer I am buying from (they were MG Rover prior to becoming Mazda and still service MG and Rover vehicles). Previous owner had it for almost 3 years, supplied by same dealer and salesman.

They wouldn't budge on the price, which wasn't really expected once the level of work was agreed - I think they are spending quite a substantial sum on the amount that is being done. I couldn't get any tax thrown in, either, which runs out at the end of this month. 6 months going on it for now. It hasn't been a pampered example, by any means, but it seems a good, honest car, with some bits and bobs for me to sort out as well and this is reflected in the price of 6990. That said, all that work is being done prior to me collecting the car.

Driving impressions? Everything I dreamt it would be! "Meaty" is a word I would use to describe the weight of the controls, clutch and gearbox especially. They have a very heavy, yet solid action. It gives the car a real "mechanical" feel. The steering, on the other hand, was really quite impressive in it's comination of weighting and feedback. The car, although not small, feels responsive and smaller than it actually is. Then there is the engine - granted, not a patch on anything from BMW, Audi, etc but the sound is addictive and had me grinning from ear to ear. The torque peak is really quite high at 4k rpm and whilst the car didn't feel initally to be that fast, a glance at the speedometer showed how quickly the speed had risen.

As for the known issues - I will have to make a point of checking the fuel clip asap. The heater hose appeared fine. The aircon/heating system is being looked at. Anything else I will pick up and learn as I go along, with the help and advice available here.

Let the fun begin!

bob the viking
22-09-2009, 06:06 PM
It sounds like you have done really well, congratulations. :)

SteveChilds
23-09-2009, 10:16 AM
The car has a fully stamped service history, most from the dealer I am buying from (they were MG Rover prior to becoming Mazda and still service MG and Rover vehicles). Sounds like Trinity, although I didn't know they had a 260 in?