PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Throttle cable (NEW)

Belcher
18-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Hi chaps. Recently, I tweaked my idle screw on by BBK to overcome a rather stiff one :rolleyes: Whilst this helped a lot, it is still bad, and getting worse. Through various tests, I am quite sure that this is now the cable. It feels very notchy even when the engine is off. Where can I get a "NEW" cable from? I see there is one on Ebay, but it's second hand, and is from those guys breaking that 260 and selling the parts at stupid prices (remember the rear bumper that you could have bought a brand new Fiat Cinquecento for?).

Phil
18-08-2009, 07:55 PM
There are quite a few threads on here about sticking/notchy throttle cables. You just need to get some oil down it. It is the under bonnet heat. A new one will go the same way if you leave it. Search on throttle cable. ;)

Belcher
18-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks Phil. Call me stupid, but I cant find any threads. A search for throttle cable finds either word (which there are lots), but not both together!

The thing is, I have actually read a thread quite recently about this. I recall somebody leaving a cable to drain oil through overnight I think. Can I find it now though :confused:

black olive
18-08-2009, 09:30 PM
take it off- hang it up, make a plasticine or blu tak dam, and fill it with 3 in 1 oil or wd40, this will work its way through the cable.

Belcher
19-08-2009, 07:24 PM
take it off- hang it up, make a plasticine or blu tak dam, and fill it with 3 in 1 oil or wd40, this will work its way through the cable.

Thanks Blacky ;)

Just a thought, while the cable is off when I oil it up, will there be any benefit in me shrouding it in some silicone tubing to try and keep some of the heat away from it ??

Cheers

black olive
19-08-2009, 10:06 PM
not sure where it runs but wouldnt have thought it got that hot.

Belcher
19-08-2009, 10:16 PM
After reading up, it seems like the general opinion is that the high underbonnet temperatures dries the cable out over time. I thought if it were further protected by silicone, it might last longer, or even stop it happening ?

pessling
19-08-2009, 10:34 PM
surely a heat resistant lubricant would do the trick once its freed up

GeoffW
20-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Be carefull removing the cable at the throttle body when you pull out the spring clip it could go ping and be lost forever :eek: spread a sheet under just in case and grip really firm with stout pliers, now I have tried oil before thin and thick but the best thing is to use a spray lubricant that contains Teflon ( halfords ) Mine has lasted ages, to create a funnel I used a mastic gun nozel, one of the larger ones and cut it at exactly the right place to be a tight fit on the outer cable flange, I hang the end up with a bungee , when you squirt the oil in wiggle the cable back and forth quite a few times to draw the lube in, when you see it at the other end job done

Belcher
21-08-2009, 06:46 PM
How to you remove the end off the loud peddle? It goes through a white plastic piece. I am guessing the peddle has a groove pointing upwards, but i cannot figure out how the plastic bit comes out. I dont want to force it in csae it breaks. If that happens, I have got to approach Mr Pricey Breakers!

GeoffW
21-08-2009, 10:27 PM
I think the white plastic piece pulls out from the pedal, may need pliers to remove, once out the cable inner will pass through the small slot above hole

V8NDV
21-08-2009, 10:49 PM
http://www.premierpartswarehouse.com/specialDeals.aspx
Search ZT
Page 4 bottom right

Hope this helps

Regards Nick de-Vries

Belcher
22-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Search ZT
Page 4 bottom right

Hope this helps

Regards Nick de-Vries
Thanks bud

I gave it the lube job in the end. However, I could not for the life of me get the end to come off the accelerator peddle. I ended up doing it in situ hanging from thetop of the opened bonnet.

One day, in 1,000 years time, an archaeologist will unearth my worn and rusted accelerator peddle - with the damn cable still attached !!

ksilver
26-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Search ZT

Regards Nick de-Vries

I too have had a sticky throttle cable I've tried oiling, it did help a bit for a few days but now it's as bad as it was.

I decided to get a new one, Rimmers out of stock, with no indication of getting more!! Tried these chappies above and they have stock (somewhat cheaper than Rimmers it must be said) I am assuming they are new, it doesn't say otherwise and they are pictured in bags.

So new one on the way.

Given the comments above, when the new one arrives, would it be worth adding extra lubricant before I fit it?

Discuss!!

pessling
26-11-2009, 04:50 PM
should be new, they are just another part of x part, so should be good.

GeoffW
26-11-2009, 07:06 PM
I too have had a sticky throttle cable I've tried oiling, it did help a bit for a few days but now it's as bad as it was.

I decided to get a new one, Rimmers out of stock, with no indication of getting more!! Tried these chappies above and they have stock (somewhat cheaper than Rimmers it must be said) I am assuming they are new, it doesn't say otherwise and they are pictured in bags.

So new one on the way.

Given the comments above, when the new one arrives, would it be worth adding extra lubricant before I fit it?

Discuss!!

Lube it before you use it, I bought a new one and within a few months it went notchy even oiling it with 3 in 1, for over a year now its been fine using teflon lubricant spray designed for cables etc, I bought it from a cycle shop

spartacus
26-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Halfords are doing GT85 teflon lubricant half price at the mo - £1.99. I have half a dozen can in the garage as the bikes get copious amounts sprayed on them...

GeoffW
26-11-2009, 10:18 PM
I like that stuff just for the smell, I spray my enduro bike over with tesco bumper and trim shine, costs under £ 2.00 and its the big cans, Muck off do something similar to spray over after washing but its a bit sticky, the fork seals don't like
it and it can cause them to leak as the stickyness almost turns them inside out:(
WD 40 is no good as it makes rubber expand.

ksilver
27-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Sounds like Teflon is the stuff to go for then.

I do have some spray lithium grease which states doesn't melt, etc, which I thought might be suitable.

Phil
27-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Sounds like Teflon is the stuff to go for then.

I do have some spray lithium grease which states doesn't melt, etc, which I thought might be suitable.
That would be fine and is what I would go for if you can get it down the tube.

Big Frank
27-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Try Premier Parts, they have stock as I bought one last week (£34 plus VAT and P&P)

Big Frank

GeoffW
27-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Thats a good price Frank the retail is over £ 60

ColinE
27-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Try Premier Parts, they have stock as I bought one last week (£34 plus VAT and P&P)

Big Frank

Gone up a bit - but still around £50 delivered

ksilver
21-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Update:

Premier do not have any throttle cables left and can't find any?

ColinE
21-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Update:

Premier do not have any throttle cables left and can't find any?

They were still advertising them - and 'selling' them - only got a refund when I chased for delivery!

I'm looking for one also