PDA

View Full Version : Detailing - claying, polish, wax etc

SteveTD
09-07-2009, 08:59 PM
My car (silver metallic) is currently covered in orange specks, which from internet research, suggests its something called industrial fall-out which I believe claying will get rid of.

The car is in South Wales. Can anyone make recommendations of individuals/companies in this area to do this?

Thanks

stevemiller
09-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Do-it-yourself

1 Rinse
2 Tbm, Short for the two bucket method. Use a good wash but about 4 times the recommended mix and add a cap full of apc. The first bucket contains only water the second the wash mix, use a wash mitt not a sponge. Rinse the mitt in the water then into the wash mix then onto the car top to bottom rinsing the car as you go.
3 Clay with lub you can use megs last touch or a greater mix of your wash to water, never let the surface go dry. Stick the clay in its wrap in your pocket at the start. It should now be warm and easy to play with, Tear the clay into small 5cm pads then use again top to bottom. Turn the pick-up in on itself every time you have done a area ie a door panel, more if there is a lot of pick up. If you drop it throw it away.
4. Once claying is complete wash tbm.
5. Polish and Wax.

You have just saved about £200 pounds after the purchase of all above by DIY.

pessling
10-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Nice one Steve saved me going though all that.

As said is really easy to do.

I'll do a how to the next time i wash my car, since its my section which i haven't really added much to, so i'll get some how to's the go.

SteveTD
10-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Thing is, I once read, you can cause damage if you don't know what you're doing with clay?

GeoffW
13-07-2009, 04:56 PM
A Few years ago I bought a new transporter van, It came from swansea area and was apparantly stored near a railway line, after a few months when I polished it the surface felt rough, so contacted VW and there man came along to inspect, he used a magnifier to inspect these minor pimples which under the magnifier were actually rust eating into the paint work :eek: problem was you couldn't polish it out, so in the end changed it for a new one, they said the brake dust from the train may have caused it.

pessling
13-07-2009, 05:01 PM
good thing i keep mine protected when i'm at work then with all the trains running around. the trains i work on use cast iron brake blocks

SteveTD
20-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi Geoff,
Yes that's the 'industrial fall-out' I was referring to. Apparently claying will do the trick. I'm just afraid that being useless at it, might mean I may as well have washed my car with a bucket of rocks.
Peter - you have a silver car - what products (clay, polish etc) do you use?

Thanks

A Few years ago I bought a new transporter van, It came from swansea area and was apparantly stored near a railway line, after a few months when I polished it the surface felt rough, so contacted VW and there man came along to inspect, he used a magnifier to inspect these minor pimples which under the magnifier were actually rust eating into the paint work :eek: problem was you couldn't polish it out, so in the end changed it for a new one, they said the brake dust from the train may have caused it.

pessling
20-07-2009, 03:07 PM
usual cleaning of my cars body work consists of..

Snow foamed to loosen the dirt, pressure washed off, washed with Meguiars gold class two bucket method, clayed using Zaino fine clay, washed again (two bucket method) dried, polished either hand or machined depends on how much time i have, then waxed.