PDA

View Full Version : Well hellooo

calvin
03-06-2009, 09:05 PM
He says in his best Terry Thomas voice, just joined looking for parts for my....hmmm...how should I say this....er....friend (the car that is) and I find out that she is the last but one of the Mk1's No.122. I have had her since new, just before MG went. I often wondered whether I would have bothered if I could tell the future (yeah course I would) anyway booked her in for an MOT and found out both rear springs had snapped. Any suggestions, the garage are suggesting a local spring company make me a set, eibach don't list the originals anymore.

Tim
03-06-2009, 09:28 PM
You stay out in the wilderness for four and a bit years then register and join in less than an hour. You even post before I can change your account to give you full access. ;)

There are some posts on the springs and Brian (Scooter) may have a set of springs left.

Sorry to burst your bubble mate 122 is well inside the mk1's. Need to be into the low 200's to be near the end. 18th November 2003 was when yours came to life, February 2004 was the time of the swap to the mk2's :)

Welcome to the Two-Sixties :D

pessling
03-06-2009, 09:41 PM
welcome along, looks like you've got lots of reading up to do.

calvin
03-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Ahhh that makes sense, I was looking through all the threads and read (probably misread) that there were only 123 mk1's made, I know my car was 122 so I made the fatal assumption. Its OK for about an hour the old girl was a megastar, I think she would be happy with that.

Blimey 8 months on the shelf, poor old girl, wonder if she got lonely?:D

To be fair I didn't know the 260's existed till about 3 o'clock this afternoon, which was about five minutes after the garage rang asking for help locating the springs.

Please excuse my lack of net-equet, what is the respectful time to wait between registering and posting? ;)

I shall now retire to consume my other foot:)

calvin
03-06-2009, 10:20 PM
welcome along, looks like you've got lots of reading up to do. Thanks peter,

Are you involved with the Vulcan? (as per your sig) I was down there a couple of years ago looking at a merchandising unit for the old gal, small world init?;)

pessling
03-06-2009, 10:22 PM
nothing wrong with what you have done calvin, after all like many other people who have joined after needing something that is otherwise unobtainable from most places.

The knowledge and experience of this site is amazing with someone always ready to answer questions or to point you in the right direction.

Tell us about you and your car.

pessling
03-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks peter,

Are you involved with the Vulcan? (as per your sig) I was down there a couple of years ago looking at a merchandising unit for the old gal, small world init?;)

only sponsoring, live to far away to be able to play an active role in her up keep. Still haven't seen her fly, but is on my to do list this year.

calvin
03-06-2009, 10:54 PM
only sponsoring, live to far away to be able to play an active role in her up keep. Still haven't seen her fly, but is on my to do list this year.
I went inside her cockpit (steady now, its an aeroplane ;)) boy is it small inside there.

I wonder how many people still own a pre MG bang 260? I believe mine is a mongramme colour not seen another one like it, the door was a tiny shade out so according to the dealer they had to respay the whole car as the lacquor is "prismatic", sounds pretty dangerous to have spikey paint, and way it is a sort of pearlecent blue a bit darker than the Trophy blue

pessling
03-06-2009, 10:59 PM
been inside the cockpit of the one at the midlands museum and yes small. My cousin who is a in the RAF said he would organise something for me to visit as he knows the pilot of XH558, but haven't heard from him yet. The ultimate experience would be a flight.

colintf
04-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi and welcome

:cool:

V8 Novi
04-06-2009, 08:56 PM
been inside the cockpit of the one at the midlands museum and yes small. My cousin who is a in the RAF said he would organise something for me to visit as he knows the pilot of XH558, but haven't heard from him yet. The ultimate experience would be a flight.

I used the Vulcan XL 426 at Southend for a photoshoot for one of my bike magazine articles, and also got to visit the cockpit. Access via a ladder under the nose. Extremely cramped for such a huge aircraft.

The guy I felt sorry for was the flight engineer/navigator - just stuck at a control panel with no view of the outside world. Imagine flying one of those all the way to the Falklands and back (all right, with a comfort break at Ascension). Respect for our RAF heroes!

NOCTURNAL
04-06-2009, 09:42 PM
:D
Welcome along..........
no breaking of 'Net-equete' lol...
I think Tim was just being freindly and making conversation more than anything :)

Whats the paint code on the door ?

The springs isn't exactly a 'Common fault', but seems to be fast rising up the list of more common occurences, particularly in the MK1's. the newer springs are better so assuming theres a pair left you should be set :)
I think there are plans afoot for trying to arrange a new run from another supplier, but don't know the details...

as Peter said theres plenty of good reading on here , and 95% of it is relevent stuff too :P

Nick :)

Stu C
04-06-2009, 09:52 PM
:D

as Peter said theres plenty of good reading on here , and 95% of it is relevent stuff too :P

Nick :)

Welcome! - When you get reading just dont get too paranoid ;) Its make note and be preventative :)

Scarlet Fever
05-06-2009, 01:26 PM
I believe mine is a mongramme colour not seen another one like it, the door was a tiny shade out so according to the dealer they had to respay the whole car as the lacquor is "prismatic", sounds pretty dangerous to have spikey paint, and way it is a sort of pearlecent blue a bit darker than the Trophy blue

According to my (incomplete) database, your car is:

Chagall (Special Metallic) IAT

she is the last but one of the Mk1's No.122. I have had her since new, just before MG went.

As we understand it there were 217 Mark 1s made, however a few of the last ones were facelifted to Mk2 spec (either completely or in part) for use as press cars, demonstrators etc. (known unofficially as Mark 1.5 cars).

You have to be a bit aware of the 'rumour mill', my one is VIN 27 and i heard from a source that VINs 1-26 were hand built to become prototypes, crash cars, development vehicles and Director's cars, meaning mine is the first production vehicle - but i can't confirm this. I've also heard that it was a chassis development vehicle and i know that it was registered to Longbridge and used as a long term test car (MG-Rover put 60K miles on it in 6 months to see what would break/wear out with the intention of developing fixes for all the 260s). I know this last bit for certain as i have found the chap who actually put the miles on the car (he posts on another forum in the non-V8 sections).

Tracking down the history of these rare and very special cars is one of the reasons the Two-Sixties exists and we can be a bit obsessive about the details (not in a scary way!) :D This is also why i and others hold databases, really for our own interest and to further the group knowledge of these cars.

I've said welcome on a couple of other threads already, but it can't hurt again! Welcome! :)

calvin
05-06-2009, 09:25 PM
I've said welcome on a couple of other threads already, but it can't hurt again! Welcome! :) You lot are a friendly bunch :D

I have found the source of my confusion and that was in an eBay advertisement, refering to how many were retained in the UK and how many were released world wide. Just out of interest how many are abroad?

NOCTURNAL
05-06-2009, 10:58 PM
"I have found the source of my confusion and that was in an eBay advertisement, "

do share?

calvin
09-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Now heres a fine mess, I am blowed if I can find the advertisment again, search as I might.

Basically I believe it implied that only 260 cars were retained in the UK, turns out to be somewhat misleading :o On saying that have all your car details regurgitated from a database is nearly alarming. If it weren't for the jovial nature and the almost obsessive interest in these machines then I would have been taken aback.

To me the "Old Rover" was just a self indulgent reward for years of mundain motoring based on my facination with all things "Q" as in "Q-Boats" and therefore "Q-cars". I had no idea there were other people with a similar warped view on life.

Any way yes it is colour code IAT "Char-grilled blue" (Chagall for the pedants ;)) the best I could do to find out what Chagall actually meant was some Russkie who was a bit handy with the old painting and decorating. I guess they ran out of logical names and just ran with the first random word that came along..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b3/Cut_image.jpg/200px-Cut_image.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cut_image.jpg)This is the bloke. Apparently he died in 1985 so he couldn't have even painted my car.

NOCTURNAL
09-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Now heres a fine mess, I am blowed if I can find the advertisment again, search as I might.

No biggie :) was just an general interest...

This is the bloke. Apparently he died in 1985 so he couldn't have even painted my car.

Alas No, but maybe one of his decendents???

Nick:D