PDA

View Full Version : Stretched handbrake cable

Michal
20-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Is stretched handbrake cable a big issue on those cars? I have a CDTi and I have never had any probs.

spartacus
20-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Yes it is a bit - if you search the threads you'll find quite a lot of info. I think someone might be trying to source replacement cables. There is a bodge, sorry, fix That some people have done to overcome the problem.

I just use my handbrake as little as possible and leave the car in gear whenever it's parked.

black olive
20-05-2009, 10:42 PM
its a combination of things- glazed drums, poor adjustment, front and back, and poor cable design

ColinE
20-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Have a read of this

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=3633

Tim
20-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Have a read of this

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=3633

Stop teasing the man :D he can not see it.....yet. Just needs to be a bit quicker when he finds one and buys it. :rolleyes:;)

ColinE
20-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Sorry - being a bit previous - been a long day

SteveChilds
21-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Must admit I was surprised when I found out how bad it was on mine, the CDTi's was tight and firm.

oo-er!

Erm, anyway, it hardly holds the car at the moment, amazed it got through the MOT to be quite honest!

spartacus
21-05-2009, 08:55 PM
...amazed it got through the MOT to be quite honest! When I got mine it was complete sh1te, and it had 'passed' it's MOT the same day :eek:

The guy I bought it from must have had connections :cool:

ColinE
21-05-2009, 09:00 PM
When I got mine it was complete sh1te, and it had 'passed' it's MOT the same day :eek:

The guy I bought it from must have had connections :cool:

That's the only way mines going to pass - specially as I still can't get that damned wheel off

robertf999
22-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Prior to computerisation, I investigated a couple of dodgy MoT garages. One of them was doing MoTs "by post". The other raised suspicions at VOSA (or whatever they were called back then, Vehicle Inspectorate I think) because their sole tester could not possibly conduct as many MoTs as they were issuing.

Things have tightened up these days, though some dodginess no doubt still goes on. It might be worth noting that the official record of your MoT is the record on VOSA's computer. The "certificate" you get is little more than a receipt. I have come across at least one forged example of the newer certificates, so if you're buying a used car it's worth seeing the certificate, noting the MOT test number (top left) and checking the VOSA website at www.motinfo.gov.uk. I think you can use the V5 document reference number if you don't have the MOT test number, but don't quote me on that.