PDA

View Full Version : new owner question - starting noise

chopper666
13-05-2009, 07:16 PM
2004 zt saloon - metallic noise on start up, and for the first mile or so. almost sounds like brakes would after being sat for a while. not brakes as carries on when car stopped - say at a junction.
car has had work on starter motor before - dont have paperwork to hand to confirm. can later / tomorrow.
any ideas? i can live with it, but does it need further looking into?

black olive
13-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Aircon pump ??

driven by the big serpentine belt- a batch of these were known to fail- would suggest if you havent got one get a warranty.

where are you ?? someone local to you may be able to have a listen

GeoffW
13-05-2009, 09:28 PM
when you press econ on climate control does it disappear ?

SH4RKY
14-05-2009, 09:09 AM
....and does it increase and decrease with engine revs

chopper666
14-05-2009, 06:23 PM
i have had the car looked at buy a trusted mechanic today - he has worked on everything and anything i have had since 2003.
he feels it is clutch release bearing. car is under warranty. i am in derby city.
does this sound about right to you experienced owners?
i will try the air con suggestion in the morning.

Also seems to have developed a very slight misfire - more of a sporadic pop on one bank. any suggestions? has had new plugs today (was ready) however has not this cured.
thanks for your input so far chaps!

chopper666
14-05-2009, 06:26 PM
just to give more info - it only happens when cold or if it has been sat for a few hours. if you give it more revs i think it reduces/disappears - only had it this week, so just getting to grips.
anyone suggest cheapest place for disc and pads - rears?

colintf
14-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi and welcome - hope its sorted soon.

Luffields aren't that far from you.

:cool:

Herman
14-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Noise from a clutch release bearing normally disappears when the clutch is pressed. I believe the release bearing is permanently attached to the slave cylinder and cannot be replaced without replacing the cylinder as well.

(someone correct me if I am wrong please).

Let's just hope it is something easy and simple in the end.

Let us know how you get on

chopper666
14-05-2009, 06:52 PM
where is luffields? is it MG place?
any where on the net i can get disc / pads?

any other suggestions about the noise?

chopper666
14-05-2009, 07:00 PM
mintex pads on ebay - any good?

pessling
14-05-2009, 08:53 PM
discs can be purchased from the members shop and its the cheapest you'll find them any where

ksilver
14-05-2009, 10:37 PM

I've got Mintex pads and discs on the front, stop the car fine but squeal a bit to start with, OK now though.

GeoffW
14-05-2009, 10:54 PM

I Used mintex before and they were fine, just make sure when buying that they are for the 260, some suppliers say this only to find there for the lesser models of 75 & ZT the rears are the same as the lotus elese, its worth trawling through all the old posts for info , may take some time but worth it .

Merl
15-05-2009, 12:52 AM
I can only recommend somewhere near by... well in Burton on Trent so near enough is Nick @ Austin Garages. I bumped into him at the Cosford meet and he is a really nice chap and owns a 260 too!! I will be taking both my cars there and a few members have already used him and said he did a very good job and he has a T4 diagnostics unit too which might aid in any diagnosing.

http://www.austingarages.co.uk/

Ohhh and welcome to the club :D

chopper666
15-05-2009, 08:22 AM
thanks guys.
just to update you - i tried air con / economy this morning with no change in noise noticable.
I feel it is a clutch issue as noise changed on depression of clutch pedal. has anyone else experienced this?

Tim
15-05-2009, 08:48 AM
thanks guys.
just to update you - i tried air con / economy this morning with no change in noise noticable.
I feel it is a clutch issue as noise changed on depression of clutch pedal. has anyone else experienced this?

If I had a bit more time Rich I would find it for you but search on here for posts on clutch replacement. Not technically difficult but getting to the box is a bit involved.

Herman
15-05-2009, 10:22 AM
If I had a bit more time Rich I would find it for you but search on here for posts on clutch replacement. Not technically difficult but getting to the box is a bit involved.

My clutch was replaced by Nick (Austin Garages)

See link (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=3447) to previous post.

Not sure how many miles yours has done but whilst everything is out you might as well replace the clutch and pressure plate.

Martin Warner
15-05-2009, 10:27 AM
The best way I found to fit a new clutch was to fit a supercharger, blow your engine up and then while having Peter Wayte replace the engine (twice!) fitting a new clutch was almost inconsequential.

Martin

chopper666
15-05-2009, 10:47 AM
thanks martin :) i think i will just stick to the job in hand!!!

chopper666
15-05-2009, 10:49 AM
think i saw something about spraying some lubricant into inspection point on zt club? would this help? not sure if car has been sat for a while - would this contribute?

Phil
15-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Yes, I remember that. It couldn't do any harm. Dig the thread out.

Max260
16-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Does this noise sound like a grating noise when you depress the clutch, die off when engine revs are increased and goes away when clutch pedal released. Mine does this it is apparently the Thrust Bearing, where either a little dirt or rust is inside there. It is nothing to worry about. I have talked to Scooter in Dreadnought a couple of times about this.

Seems to be a little worse in cold or damp conditions. Plus! Once the car is at fully operational temp there is no noise any more..

If you get to one of our events such as Brands Hatch at the end of May. Scooter will be there with Paul racing their 500. I'm sure you could dig him out and ask the questions. A lot of us will be there to support the racing and flying the flag for MG.

Max

chopper666
16-05-2009, 08:30 AM
thanks for reply. only happens when car has been sat overnight or has been sat for a few hours - its a constant grating noise that changes pitch /volume with pressing the clutch pedal, only lasts for probably first half mile or so. when warm it goes and when restarted when warm its not evident. no slip in clutch or problems engaging gear or anything like that.

BigA
16-05-2009, 08:55 AM
It really isn't a big deal. I've had noisy thrust bearings on a couple of cars in my past and they never caused a problem. They were noisier when damp (or quieter, can't remember which way round:rolleyes:)

Tim
16-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Taken from the Dreadnought area to keep tidy :)

hello,
i wonder if you would be able to offer any suggestions as to the issue i am having with my car on start up?
full post is in public area under same title as above. thanks in advance for any input you may be able to offer

From Richard Brian

scooter
18-05-2009, 08:06 AM
If the noise changes when you press the clutch it is sounds like the clutch or realease bearing. The Ford system keeps a little pressure on the release bearing all the time. Sounds to me like you have a noisey release bearing. If you have no vibration through the clutch pedal I would not worry about it unless it gets worse, it may just be a bit of dirt in the bearing. If you are at Brands and I have time (no problems with the race car) I will try to have a listen for you.