PDA

View Full Version : Hi there!

calibrax
21-04-2009, 09:26 PM
My name's Steve and I'm an mg-aholic.... lol...:D

Well, I don't currently have a V8, but it's certainly in the long term plans. Currently have a black MG ZT CDTi 135, my third MGR car. Some of you may have heard of me as 'the bloke who does the blue backlighting conversions'! :)

I've met quite a few V8 owners now, was at Pride of Longbridge and Cosford at the weekend, and every time I hear that V8 rumble it just makes me curse that I bought a CDTi (although truth be told, I really love that too).

Anyway, nice to be here. Not much to read though, I guess most of the forum sections are only open to full members? Guess I'd better start saving up for that V8... :cool:

ColinE
21-04-2009, 09:29 PM
My name's Steve and I'm an mg-aholic.... lol...:D

Well, I don't currently have a V8, but it's certainly in the long term plans. Currently have a black MG ZT CDTi 135, my third MGR car. Some of you may have heard of me as 'the bloke who does the blue backlighting conversions'! :)

I've met quite a few V8 owners now, was at Pride of Longbridge and Cosford at the weekend, and every time I hear that V8 rumble it just makes me curse that I bought a CDTi (although truth be told, I really love that too).

Anyway, nice to be here. Not much to read though, I guess most of the forum sections are only open to full members? Guess I'd better start saving up for that V8... :cool:

For those that have seen my car recently - Steve is the guy that converted my switched etc to Blue - top man, top job

Tim
21-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Hello Steve

Your application was hanging around until I noticed your pictures on 75&ZT. You're username looked a bit spam'ie :D

Welcome on and do ask questions when you do decide to buy one.

BigA
21-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Steve,

Find one and buy it -best decision you'll ever make

I'm interested in the blueing if you're still diong it

ColinE
21-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Let me know if you want a look at my 'Blue'd Car' - I can always take a run down your way

BigA
21-04-2009, 10:21 PM
I will -but I think we were both at Brooklands:O)

ColinE
21-04-2009, 10:23 PM
I will -but I think we were both at Brooklands:O)

Ah yes but the project has progressed since then

SJR
22-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Ah yes but the project has progressed since then

Any pics Ragman?

SJR

juzza0
22-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi and Welcome Steve... good to see you on here.

I, like Colin (Ragman) can vouch for Steve's work. He is currently working on my 16:9 screen to finish my blue conversion too. I'm putting an 'how to strip the screen down' together for Steve on the 16:9 so he can do more if he wants too. So get pestering him now :D Seriously though, his work is excellent and he is a fantastic guy and very helpful!

calibrax
22-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Here's a couple of pics from my car...

http://www.calibrax.myby.co.uk/bluegear02.jpg

http://www.calibrax.myby.co.uk/lightswitchfitted.jpg

http://www.calibrax.myby.co.uk/blueodometer05.jpg

ColinE
22-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Any pics Ragman?

SJR

Not yet - car back in bodyshop for them to rectify some of the outstanding issues, hopefully get some taken at the weekend and will post up asap

colintf
22-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Steve,

Find one and buy it -best decision you'll ever make

Do It!

Life's too short not to!

:cool:

BRM494
22-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Do It!

Life's too short not to!

2005 Paris MotorShow LHD on Piston Heads, If it was RHD even I might have bid 8 1/2 for it !

Would go nice with my 2004 NEC MotorShow Car !

Love the blue illumination conversions, done a little Green-ing myself of a similar nature!

SJR
23-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Calibrax,
I really like that, it helps to disguise the parts bin robbing look of the interior.;)

I could be interested in using your services. Would you mind PM me some prices.

SJR

calibrax
23-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Calibrax,
I really like that, it helps to disguise the parts bin robbing look of the interior.;)

I could be interested in using your services. Would you mind PM me some prices.

SJR
Prices vary from about £10 for most of the normal switches, up to £55 for the climate control unit. That's on an exchange basis (I get your old switch). The pricing is based on the time it takes, and the difficulty of the conversion. I'll post up a full price list in due course, I'm a bit swamped with stuff to do at the mo!

The odometer is only thing that I'm not doing right now - as they are coded to the car, I can't do those on an exchange basis. Plus, there is too much risk for my liking - dismantling them is fiddly, the needles could get broken, and the message centre screen is attached by a flimsy ribbon which could easily be damaged. Kinda expensive replacing the whole unit...

SJR
24-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks for that.
Will you let me know when you have more time.

SJR

colintf
24-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Here's a couple of pics from my car...

http://www.calibrax.myby.co.uk/bluegear02.jpg

http://www.calibrax.myby.co.uk/lightswitchfitted.jpg

http://www.calibrax.myby.co.uk/blueodometer05.jpg

stunning work mate!

Merl
24-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi Steve

Just wondering if any news on the white yet? (Sorry to keep nagging)

Cheers

Martin

P.S. Just buy a 260 as it makes perfect sense :D

calibrax
25-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks for that.
Will you let me know when you have more time.

SJR

No probs, will do. :)

Hi Steve

Cheers

Martin

P.S. Just buy a 260 as it makes perfect sense :D

I have the white LEDs I ordered, will be converting a climate control soon... got quite a bit of other stuff to do first, and it's the end of the month so work is pretty busy (I'm an accountant). Will probably get around to doing the white one next weekend.

I really want a 260, but I really need to wait a year or two to clear the finance on my existing car. Just treated myself to a private plate (SXI 45) instead :D

NOCTURNAL
26-04-2009, 05:10 AM
If we're nagging...... Blue message center :P:

:duck :pan

juzza0
26-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Oooh, now that's a complex one... and one i know even Steve is struggling with :)

I thought about having the mileage display done, but then decided against it... that bit of the clocks in orange breaks up all the blue... just like in the Audi's

Stu C
26-04-2009, 03:36 PM
I know this may sound strange, BUT, how would the climate control unit look with white led's?

I would imagine it wouldnt work out, but you never know! :confused::cool:

v8tony
26-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi Guys :wave

I can also vouch for steve's (Calibrax) work he's done all my door switches & i'll be getting more done when the finances allow, bit by bit. :D

juzza0
26-04-2009, 09:29 PM
I know this may sound strange, BUT, how would the climate control unit look with white led's?

I would imagine it wouldnt work out, but you never know! :confused::cool:
Well hopefully Steve should be starting the white conversion units next week... so it will be good to see what they look like. I think it will work ok, but the blue will draw more attention :)

Hi Guys :wave

Hi Tony, good to see you on here mate :)

Stu C
26-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Well hopefully Steve should be starting the white conversion units next week... so it will be good to see what they look like. I think it will work ok, but the blue will draw more attention :)

Hi Tony, good to see you on here mate :)

Ooo i like the sound of that then :) - ill be waiting eagerly :cool:

NOCTURNAL
26-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Oooh, now that's a complex one... and one i know even Steve is struggling with :)

I thought about having the mileage display done, but then decided against it... that bit of the clocks in orange breaks up all the blue... just like in the Audi's

the blue odometer really sets the clocks off m8... pah...orange...pah...pah...:D

juzza0
26-04-2009, 11:25 PM
the blue odometer really sets the clocks off m8... pah...orange...pah...pah...:D
It is tempting..... :)

calibrax
05-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Hi Steve

Cheers

Martin

Martin,

The white one is now done - worked really quite well! You don't get the full effect in a daylight photo, so I'll put up a pic in darker conditions tonight.

http://www.calibrax.myby.co.uk/whitebacklightccu.jpg

calibrax
05-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Here's a pic that shows it a bit better...

http://www.calibrax.myby.co.uk/whitebacklightccu02.jpg

Merl
06-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Ohhh cool nice work!!! Me wants :love

Stu C
06-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Something else that i want to spend money on now!:Duh

That looks brilliant, i assume you can do the door switches etc.. like the blue ones? :idea:thumb

calibrax
06-05-2009, 04:50 PM

That looks brilliant, i assume you can do the door switches etc.. like the blue ones? :idea:thumb
Yep can do - but I'm a bit swamped with other stuff at the mo - will let you know once I have a set ready for sale. :)

Merl
06-05-2009, 06:44 PM

Stu

I have just brought this unit off Steve so you can check it out at the cotswolds meet ;) and going to get the door ones too pending money.. might have to wait a month....

Stu C
06-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Stu

I have just brought this unit off Steve so you can check it out at the cotswolds meet ;) and going to get the door ones too pending money.. might have to wait a month....

Brilliant mate thanks! :cool: