PDA

View Full Version : new member questions

chrissyboy
11-04-2009, 07:30 PM
hi guys, great site some good info, wonder if anyone can help me with a couple of things. should the trip computer display fuel consumption and range left in tank. :confused: since i've owned the car not been able to open boot remotely with key :confused: any ideas. just ordered spare gearbox from bespoke autodevelopments, hope its an mg rover spec and not a mustang one, are there any serial numbers to check. keep up the good work and keep on burbling. chrissyboy :cflag :cflag :cflag:cflag

Nich
11-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi Chrissyboy and welcome.

The trip computer does not display range or fuel consumption on 260 models due, as far as I am aware, to the problems of communication between MG/BMW and Ford parts.
The boot should open if you hold down the unlock button on the key fob.
The gearbox should be a Tremec 5 speed TR3650 but with a modified selector mechanism to fit the MG setup.

Hope this helps

Nich.

JohnB
11-04-2009, 07:58 PM
The boot lid on mine doesn't open when you hold the unlock button, I understand it is a setting that has to be changed in the brainbox along with things like auto door locking at 3mph.

chrissyboy
11-04-2009, 08:04 PM
thanks nich, already tried holding unlock button its never worked. more concerned about gearbox ratios believe to be different to the ford mustang. i wondered if any serial numbers on gearbox to confirm right unit. keep on burbling chrissyboy:cflag

pessling
11-04-2009, 08:16 PM
as regards to the boot
Mk1 no
mk2 yes

Nich
11-04-2009, 08:28 PM
The boot should open if you hold down the unlock button on the key fob.

This is an option that can be activated through MG Rover T4 diagnostics.

The gearbox should be a Tremec 5 speed TR3650 but with a modified selector mechanism to fit the MG setup.

Will post when I find details.

Nich.

Nich
11-04-2009, 09:03 PM
thanks nich, already tried holding unlock button its never worked. more concerned about gearbox ratios believe to be different to the ford mustang. i wondered if any serial numbers on gearbox to confirm right unit. keep on burbling chrissyboy:cflag

Copied from Rincewinds post - 09/05/2006

"Hi,

right, the box in the 260 is from a Mustang. It's the Tremec TR 3650 but the only difference is that 5th gear is a unique gear ratio for the car. The original ratio meant that you were doing about 1200 rpm at 70 mph so you had all of the activity and accel that you wanted through the first 4 gears then you'd get to fourth and it the car would go flat as a pancake and that was it, your cruising interstellar 5th gear.

We had 5th taken out of the box and a new ratio added which gives you what you have today. The box is also the same box that goes in the SV with the same ratios IIRC."

Nich.

chrissyboy
11-04-2009, 09:25 PM
thanks for that nich, chrissyboy

GeoffW
11-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi Chrissy boy welcome to the fold, regarding the gearbox all the ones at auto developments are from the factory so will be the right ones for the car, i think you will find it an interesting place when you collect it:)