PDA

View Full Version : Wax and re-wax

BigA
28-03-2009, 08:55 AM
I'd be interested in everyone's opinions on how often you should remove the wax completely and start again?
Also, what would folks recommend for the removal process?:confused:

Tim
28-03-2009, 09:35 AM
I've never thought of removal, why would you do that? If I have a repair that needs t'cutting I wax the area a few times when finished then wax the whole area.

pessling
28-03-2009, 11:32 AM
about the only time is when you are going to have the car machine polished, as the more wax you have on your car the deeper the colour and the better protected against the outside conditions.

By just polishing your car you will be removing the wax any way and should wax again.

Dougie
28-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Morning lads!

I dont remove any wax layers applied. My advice is regular use of Autoglym Super Resin Polish which gently cleans the paint without causing any damage. Then its either a coat of Extra Gloss Protection, or the new Definition wax. I only use Autoglym as its easy, leaves a top finish, and its all made in England.

But dont ever use a T-cut, as they can contain amonia which can damage the paint, plus I wouldnt advise using a product that removes paint, bearing in mind our beasts are water-based paint coated.

If yours hasnt been 'cleansed' for a bit, give 'him' 2 coats of Super Resin, then a coat of wax. From then on, just one coat of each ( which i do every other month) Well worth the time and money!!!:cool:

GeoffW
28-03-2009, 10:42 PM
what I would do is try polishing a panel with super resin, after it should be perfectly smooth as glass, if any roughness is felt then you need to clay bar the car all over and then apply polish, I usually polish every 2 months then I find it doesn't need clay baring again, luckily its kept in a garage most of the time

JulesV
12-09-2009, 12:15 AM
I have always used Autoglym SRP on my cars. At the risk of appearing stupid, what is the difference between a polish and a wax?

stevemiller
12-09-2009, 12:40 AM
A polish can do a number of thing but AG for example will cleanse, fill minor scratches and level the paint off. This is what gives the car its shine. A wax will provide protection for the paint and will give some shine factor but not as good as a polish.

For a top finish wash TBM (2 bucket method) always mit not sponge. Dry with car towel. Then polish and wax. Some folk polish, seal then wax.

Steve.:D

JulesV
12-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks. Has anyone tried AG Aqua Wax?

pessling
12-09-2009, 09:45 AM
I have used the aqua wax is good if you are in a rush as its applied wet so no need to dry the car. not as good as a polish and proper wax but good and quick

Stu C
12-09-2009, 10:12 AM
I have used the aqua wax is good if you are in a rush as its applied wet so no need to dry the car. not as good as a polish and proper wax but good and quick

I find it lasts quite a long time too, give it a wash with turtlewax nano stuff and dry it with the towel and still looks like its been freshly done....

Does stretch it after 3 weeks though haha!