PDA

View Full Version : advice please

rogerf
01-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Hello everyone,for the first time in 2yrs my 260 has let me down,it starts runs very lumpy then cuts out leaving a strong smell of fuel.The only way to keep it running is to give it some throttle..and then it cuts out.Could this be a faulty air flow meter,the fuel clip and pump were checked ok by my garage while it was in for the annual service..any ideas?

Phil
01-03-2009, 09:18 PM
This is probably not the cause, but are the plugs OK?

ColinE
01-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Where abouts are you - couple of us have diagnostics tools that might help us track the fault down

Blue Flash
01-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Check in and around the throttle body area any loose pipes or connectors will cause a stall,you dont mention if any check engine lights/icons are illuminated on the message centre usually associated with low pressure/fuel pump about to part,but you do say this was checked by the garage other than a T4 scan as mentioned would check leads and injector connections.

SH4RKY
02-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm sure I have read the OP before.... ;)

As said over in the other one, worth checking the fuel filter in case it wasn't put back together properly.

rogerf
02-03-2009, 06:04 PM
I have indeed posted this twice doh!!Thank you all for your suggestions,i fitted the Accufab throttle body/plenum so have checked all the connections to that,the garage says the plugs are ok but i do occasionally get the 'check engine' light when the engine is restarted after a short stop..this goes out within a few seconds.I live in Hornchurch Essex tho' its actually a London borough so no Essex boy jokes please:D.Garage says get it to us and they can do the diagnostic,but i really wont to avoid the towing bit even tho' iv'e got relay.

rogerf
04-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Diagnostic showed fault code;P0190 Fuel rail 'A' circuit..fuel pressure switch.Anybody know were i can get one?Pleased its something i can fix and she doesn't have to be towed in.:)

SJR
05-03-2009, 11:46 AM
I think that is open to interpretation. Does it deffinately mean the switch is faulty. And not that there is low fuel pressure so the switch is cutting in?
ie the fuel filter has come apart and lost fuel pressure.

I know my Mustang is older, but the fault codes that throws up are a bit like that. You have to read into them a bit.

I would still check the fuel filter/clip it only takes a few moments, and these types of fault are often the simplest.

Good luck,

SJR

Phil
05-03-2009, 12:14 PM
I think that is open to interpretation. Does it deffinately mean the switch is faulty. And not that there is low fuel pressure so the switch is cutting in?
ie the fuel filter has come apart and lost fuel pressure.

I know my Mustang is older, but the fault codes that throws up are a bit like that. You have to read into them a bit.

I would still check the fuel filter/clip it only takes a few moments, and these types of fault are often the simplest.

Good luck,

SJR
Yes I agree. I'm sure Scooter said that the fuel filter coming apart or fuel pump failure can show up as low fuel pressure in the rail.

rogerf
05-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Yes I agree. I'm sure Scooter said that the fuel filter coming apart or fuel pump failure can show up as low fuel pressure in the rail.
Thanks for that,could you run thro' how to access the clip/filter,pump i'm not sure how the rear seat comes out.

Phil
05-03-2009, 05:07 PM
You have to jerk the front of the seat backwards to detach the front clip (both sides) IIRC, then reach under and detach the back ones. (taking all the skin off your hands in the process).

This (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=1498&highlight=Clip) thread has links and info, as has my earlier post in this thread. The filter is on the left side and the pump is on the right. I have never taken the pump out, but if you follow the instructions you should be able to do the filter OK.

Phil

rogerf
05-03-2009, 10:22 PM
You have to jerk the front of the seat backwards to detach the front clip (both sides) IIRC, then reach under and detach the back ones. (taking all the skin off your hands in the process).

This (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=1498&highlight=Clip) thread has links and info, as has my earlier post in this thread. The filter is on the left side and the pump is on the right. I have never taken the pump out, but if you follow the instructions you should be able to do the filter OK.

Phil
Cheers Phil will look at this tomorrow,unfortunately the message board says i cant view the links??any ideas or can you point me somewhere with more info.

SJR
06-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Roger,
It's highly unlikely, but if you are near me I could have a look at it for you.
Where are you located?

SJR

rogerf
06-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Roger,
It's highly unlikely, but if you are near me I could have a look at it for you.
Where are you located?

SJR
Hi SJR,thanks for the offer i'm in Hornchurch Essex whereabouts are you?

salamander
06-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Just picked up on this thead as I have been so busy the last few days.

I suffered the same symptoms three times and each time, my vehicle had to have the fuel pump replaced as it had come apart. The first time the dealer re-built the pump, it but it was false economy as it failed again 3 months later.

From start up the engine runs very lumpy and the loss of fuel pressure starves the acceleration. If you take the load off the engine (out of gear) it revs but then almost dies when you try to drive off again.

I think its going to cane your wallet for a new fuel pump!:eek:

rogerf
06-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Just picked up on this thead as I have been so busy the last few days.

I suffered the same symptoms three times and each time, my vehicle had to have the fuel pump replaced as it had come apart. The first time the dealer re-built the pump, it but it was false economy as it failed again 3 months later.

From start up the engine runs very lumpy and the loss of fuel pressure starves the acceleration. If you take the load off the engine (out of gear) it revs but then almost dies when you try to drive off again.

I think its going to cane your wallet for a new fuel pump!:eek:

That sounds exactly the same..oh well its only money and the Multipoint boilers just gone indoors,what next i wonder.Bugger the hot water i want my 260 back on the road.:D

ColinE
06-03-2009, 10:51 PM
That sounds exactly the same..oh well its only money and the Multipoint boilers just gone indoors,what next i wonder.Bugger the hot water i want my 260 back on the road.:D

That's the spirit :D

SJR
07-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Roger,
I am in North West London, Essex is a bit far.

SJR

rogerf
08-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Roger,
I am in North West London, Essex is a bit far.

SJR
That is a bit far but thanks for the offer SJR.After Salamders post i suspect its the fuel pump so its going in to my local MG/ROVER dealer 'Time Tees' tomorrow to get sorted...will post the outcome.I've still got plenty of hot water tho'....mainly 'in it' for sorting the car first instead of the boiler!!......women just dont understand:o.

rogerf
14-03-2009, 08:46 PM
After a new fuel pump,modulator and pressure switch and sailing thro' the Mot normal service is resumed!!all donations gratefully received.Thank you to all for the advice i now know a lot more about the fuel system than two weeks ago..so now for the hot water.BBFN.:)

SJR
15-03-2009, 09:04 AM
I am glad to hear all is now OK.:)

SJR