PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: 260

Merl
04-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi Everyone

After seeing Stu C's and sh4rky's 260's (and a few others) at the Chasewater meet we had I have decided this car is a must.... So I am now on the lookout for one and after seeing the Saffron one that was for sale nr me that would of been perfect but oh well.....

Looking at around £5k - £6K I guess and typically all the ones in those price range have vanished leaving only the dear ones.

Cheers

Martin

SH4RKY
04-02-2009, 10:35 PM
:D mwhahaha.... the lure of the v8!

Nice chatting with you on that slightly chilly day, haha. Seems to be a slight drought of them at the moment, im sure the right one will come along eventually though, keep your eyes peeled.

Merl
05-02-2009, 01:24 AM
:D mwhahaha.... the lure of the v8!

Nice chatting with you on that slightly chilly day, haha. Seems to be a slight drought of them at the moment, im sure the right one will come along eventually though, keep your eyes peeled.

Yeah was nice though hopefully next time I won't be the only person at the 260 table without a 260....

My eyes are peeled and I bet Autotrader, eBay and Pistonheads are thinking they are under some sort of ping attack I'm hitting their pages that much....

Oh and £5k-£6k I can go higher for the right car....

BRM494
05-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Martin,

The next NON Silver Black Red Estate SE Mk 2 is mine ! Else fill your boots Mate !!

Bruce.

Merl
05-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Martin,

The next NON Silver Black Red Estate SE Mk 2 is mine ! Else fill your boots Mate !!

Bruce.

Hehe, don't worry I am after the saloon more than the tourer so if I spot one will give u a shout. Also I dont mind a Mk1 or is there something I dont know about?

Martin

SH4RKY
05-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Only looks. There are a few differences in trim levels between the mk1 and mk2 but really its just which type of front design you prefer.

Tim
05-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Hehe, don't worry I am after the saloon more than the tourer so if I spot one will give u a shout. Also I dont mind a Mk1 or is there something I dont know about?

Martin

I think Richard still has his mk1 royal blue 260 for sale. He is in Norwich, interest Martin? I can ask before you bell him to make sure.

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=2679

BRM494
05-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Only looks. There are a few differences in trim levels between the mk1 and mk2 but really its just which type of front design you prefer.

Martin,

That's it in a nut shell. I have a, no the, 2004 Motorshow Mk2 MG ZR-X, and hence a Mk2 is a must for me. Likewise my preference is for the lines of the ZT-T, it just comes down to what you prefer. All four versions are great cars !!

pessling
05-02-2009, 02:47 PM
In which case you want Gromits cars, matching colours then

BRM494
05-02-2009, 02:52 PM
In which case you want Gromits cars, matching colours then

STOP. A biomorphic fantasy. Just too much for me.....

Merl
05-02-2009, 03:10 PM
I think Richard still has his mk1 royal blue 260 for sale. He is in Norwich, interest Martin? I can ask before you bell him to make sure.

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=2679

Tim if you could that would be great, as the colour is nice, its not got cruise from what I can tell but I can live with that.

Martin,

That's it in a nut shell. I have a, no the, 2004 Motorshow Mk2 MG ZR-X, and hence a Mk2 is a must for me. Likewise my preference is for the lines of the ZT-T, it just comes down to what you prefer. All four versions are great cars !!

Ahh cool. I actually prefer the Mk1's front I think but it does depend on the colour I have discovered which is especially true of the tourer... dismissed the tourer at first as I only had seen it in Silver but after seeing a Black one and some sort of green colour I know the Tourer can look amazingly nice but for me the saloon has the edge....

Like I said at the meet I actually think i prefer the Mk1's front...

Cheers

Martin

pessling
05-02-2009, 03:22 PM
STOP. A biomorphic fantasy. Just too much for me.....

biomorphic green, pretty nice colour. although very much doubt he'd part with it

Stu C
05-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi Merl! You should have asked for one of us to take you out for a spin on Sunday! :)

Always the way though, when your not looking for a car they have plenty for sale, yet when you want to buy a particular model etc.. theres sod all!

Where abouts are you in the country? Will keep my eyes peeled ;)

Stuart

SH4RKY
05-02-2009, 03:43 PM
haha, as soon as the snow started fall we all buggered off! :)

Stu C
05-02-2009, 03:47 PM
haha, as soon as the snow started fall we all buggered off! :)

Yeah true, mind you when we came out the cafe half the guys had gone anyway due to the weather and they were in the FWD motors! :rolleyes::cool:

Merl
05-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Yeah true, mind you when we came out the cafe half the guys had gone anyway due to the weather and they were in the FWD motors! :rolleyes::cool:

LOL Rob and I were the last off. Rear wheel drive and snow is fine you just dont abuse it... had rear wheel drive MX5's for 4 yrs now so I have a healthy respect...

I was trying not to go out in one as I thought if I don't go I can refuse the alure.. how wrong was I.....

Stu I am in South Chesire like 5 mins from J16 and/or J17 (depending if I am going North or South) of the M6 so like 1hr ish from you... Got the 75 from Swindon so dont really mind how far I have to go for a good one.

Cheers

Martin

Tim
05-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Tim if you could that would be great, as the colour is nice, its not got cruise from what I can tell but I can live with that.

Ahh cool. I actually prefer the Mk1's front I think but it does depend on the colour I have discovered which is especially true of the tourer... dismissed the tourer at first as I only had seen it in Silver but after seeing a Black one and some sort of green colour I know the Tourer can look amazingly nice but for me the saloon has the edge....

Like I said at the meet I actually think i prefer the Mk1's front...

Cheers

Martin

I've sent an e-mail so should hear back tomorrow. For info the mk1's don't have cruise or traction control.

Merl
05-02-2009, 08:08 PM
I've sent an e-mail so should hear back tomorrow. For info the mk1's don't have cruise or traction control.

Cheers tim and thanks for the additional info on the cruise and traction control.

Speaking of traction control I never had it on any of my MX5's in fact only car i have had it on is a fron wheel drive Honda... Does anyone actually use it on their 260 if they have it? or what is the general consensus of it? and for the Mk1's that don't are they running a ltd slip diff?

black olive
05-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Merl, good luck with the search, whilst they are thin on the ground at the moment it's worth hanging on for a good one, and the ones at silly money can stay there !!

ProtoZT
05-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Cheers tim and thanks for the additional info on the cruise and traction control.

Speaking of traction control I never had it on any of my MX5's in fact only car i have had it on is a fron wheel drive Honda... Does anyone actually use it on their 260 if they have it? or what is the general consensus of it? and for the Mk1's that don't are they running a ltd slip diff?

Hi Merl
Mine was the Starlight Silver MK2 SE. I like the MK1 front, but the MK2 rear and the extra gadgets. I sat in Stu's car after the coffee etc and decided to make tracks. Happy to let you pilot my 260 (standard) if I make it next month. Otherwise good luck, apart from the fuel costs there are no regrets in owning a 260...

Paul

SH4RKY
05-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Same Diff on both mk1 and 2.

The TC is a bit of an afterthought. Its not a full fat all dancing system like on jags/bms etc that will apply brakes and varing power. It bascially just cuts fuel/power so is pretty stupid.

I had a stupid system on my old omega, and im glad I dont have it on the 260 or I would have to turn it off everytime i got into the car :)

Merl
06-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Same Diff on both mk1 and 2.

The TC is a bit of an afterthought. Its not a full fat all dancing system like on jags/bms etc that will apply brakes and varing power. It bascially just cuts fuel/power so is pretty stupid.

I had a stupid system on my old omega, and im glad I dont have it on the 260 or I would have to turn it off everytime i got into the car :)

Cheers Ian

Thought it might be nothing fancy but wanted to check.... I remember those old Omega ones from when I worked at VX so if its anything like that I was always turning the darn thing off....

Martin

Merl
06-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Well I just phoned Pete Best Insurance for a quote and wow I am impressed just got me down from the £650 with Bell to now £347 or £427 if it has LPG and that includes breakdown, £100 excess £0 excess for windscreens.

So a big thank you to all the chaps who have recommended them!!