PDA

View Full Version : Parts CD

GeoffW
29-11-2008, 08:36 AM
I am after a 260 parts cd that will work on windows vista, any links to sellers appreciated :)

pessling
29-11-2008, 04:32 PM
there is an epc on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ROVER-MGZT-ZT-260-V8-75-EPC-PARTS-CD-DECEMBER-2007_W0QQitemZ250330773555QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litterature_ET?hash=item25 0330773555&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

GeoffW
16-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Thank you peter now installed and working perfectly :) just hope I don't need it too often

pessling
16-12-2008, 12:58 PM
i got one as well, well worth it for the exploded view of parts etc, as you say hopefully not needed.

David
12-03-2019, 02:23 PM
Using Rimmers site at the moment. Does anyone have this resource available to share?
As far as 'sharing' is concerned, I think you will find that there is still a copyright on the EPC, even though I don't see it being offered as a 'product' by XPart or anyone else anymore.

Older MGR copies still floating around, would need installing on a PC, and I believe that getting that to work on anything other than non-current Windows versions (<=XP) and IE version < 9.0 is difficult or even impossible (its not just a matter of changing the computer date/time of day). I acquired mine (MGR, not a copy) some years ago, and is from 2010 (I think). It runs on an old XP machine, which only exists for that purpose!

David

David
12-03-2019, 03:29 PM
Just binned an old laptop. In that case - I can't be bothered to investigate further. Any written manuals?

I also don't see a workshop manual that covers the 260 either - except for Haynes that conveniently misses out the 260.

In the days of my TR8 had parts and workshop manuals freely available.
The absence of a printed workshop manual being available isn't really a problem, since although one did exist (and I have the Rover75 V8 version), the RAVE CD is virtually identical. That CD is readily available from XPart and others, and is very affordable. I agree the non-availability of the EPC is unfortunate.

David

Pete
12-03-2019, 05:35 PM
Link does not work

David
12-03-2019, 05:38 PM
Link does not work
Which link ?? If you mean the one in post #2, that was 10 years ago on eBay, so I guess unlikely to work.

David

Pete
13-03-2019, 10:35 AM
If a product is no longer commercially available ( parts list cd) how are potential users of such supposed to be able to reference items for the product to which it refers? Does this lack of availability affect how the original (the cd) copyright is applied? In this case what are users supposed to do and what would they gain by being able to access the cd other than trying to sell it? I would think that sharing within a closed environment ( the 260's) with a declaration to not use for commercial purposes for a very limited market (260/V8) should be considered acceptable.

Nich
13-03-2019, 11:12 AM
Just for information purposes, I have got a copy of this CD and have run it on my computer running Windows 10 64 bit. It's not a particularly easy interface to navigate and I am not sure it's particularly accurate information but it does work.

Nich.

David
13-03-2019, 11:21 AM
Just for information purposes, I have got a copy of this CD and have run it on my computer running Windows 10 64 bit. It's not a particularly easy interface to navigate and I am not sure it's particularly accurate information but it does work.

Nich.
Mine would not, Nich. When installing it complained that IE 5.1 or greater was not installed. Tried to change the INI file on a disk-copy of the CD, without success. Maybe an older CD that I have? Anyway, it did install on the XP machine.

David

James C
13-03-2019, 02:15 PM
Mine would not, Nich. When installing it complained that IE 5.1 or greater was not installed. Tried to change the INI file on a disk-copy of the CD, without success. Maybe an older CD that I have? Anyway, it did install on the XP machine.

David

Depending on how techy you're feeling there are ways to install an old version of IE and fool it into using it, it's not all that straight forward though and TBH Rimmers online one is pretty much just the same.

David
10-07-2019, 04:24 PM
... Rimmers online one is pretty much just the same.
Old thread about the EPC, but worth noting I think that Rimmer's have had a change of heart (for the worse) about the time of James' last post, and don't even show exploded diagrams if they don't have at least one part in stock now. Furthermore, they now only list the descriptions and part-numbers of parts which they have in stock for the decreasing number of exploded diagrams which they do show. NLA is becoming "does not exist".

Very annoying. I was at Damen & Kroes last week and they couldn't find a particular part either, because even their Xpart site link had been down for days ! They even tried using the Rimmer's site (!) without any great success either.

Has anyone with their ear actually asked XPart if they would be prepared to officially market the EPC CD in the same way they do for the Technical Manual I wonder? If not, whether it could perhaps be made available to the Two-Sixties for solely reference purposes perhaps? Checking their own XPart Part-Finder is being made particularly difficult as a result of its absence, so would I imagine promote sales. No need for prices necessarily, since that would be provided on-line, once the part number and "official" description of a part was determined. Updating need not be a problem, therefore.

David

scoubix
10-07-2019, 05:38 PM
I have a non-legal (as in illegally downloaded) XPart EPC that dates back to early 2011 which I have running on an older Windows XP laptop, it's a bit cumbersome as in order to run it, one has to set the clock back to early 2011, but it allows me to check on diagrams and part numbers, pretty much in the same way as one would have done with Rimmer before they decided to remove older, NLA parts. The only disadvantage is that parts that may have had a change of reference/part number since 2011 would obviously not give me the latest reference...but there are not that many changes anyway.
Regarding the recent change with Rimmer no longer referencing NLA parts, my XPart-affiliated garage told me that XPart has been doing the same for their own, current EPC, which runs strictly online now (as opposed to my older copy which runs locally). As Rimmer uses the XPart EPC as the background engine for their own customer front-end, this might also be the explanation. My own garage now has to rely on previous EPC programs to find those part numbers that are no longer referenced and of which he may still have NOS.

Could XPart provide us, MGR clubs, with an EPC that would just show us diagrams and part numbers, including NLA ones? Since there's no obvious business gain for them to do that, since NLA parts are...well, NLA and therefore not orderable from them, I highly doubt they would even consider it.

An online alternative to Rimmer that I know of, to check on diagrams and part numbers, is https://allbrit.de/UGCtree.cfm?SPRACHE=EN, but they don't have the 260s there, and are a lot less user-friendly. The diagrams they use also seem to be considerably less current than the Rimmer ones.