PDA

View Full Version : Steering Woes

Bosworth
18-11-2008, 09:44 AM
The other day I suffered a blow out at 10mph. The AA took me home. On re-fitting the wheel after the new tyre was on the rim I noticed the wheel is no longer straight ahead when going straight, it is pointing to the left abot 20 degrees. Also the outside edge of the passenger side wheel may be wearing very rapidly, but then I may be getting paranoid as the car just doesn't feel right at the front.

Any comments or ideas from anyone?

It is a 260 if that is relevant and the guy pulled that car onto the trailer by attaching to the front suspension.

Tim
18-11-2008, 09:07 PM
The steering is robust (heavy car) so it sounds like damage was incurred getting it onto the trailer. Think you need to get the tracking looked at.:(

pessling
18-11-2008, 09:18 PM
if putting it onto a trailer has damaged it some how then surely the AA would be responsible as there is a towing eye that screws into the front bumper armature that they should have used

GeoffW
18-11-2008, 09:56 PM
The ammount of force needed to pull our cars up the ramp onto the flat bed would be quite considerable , enough to bend something I would imagine.
When I had a blowout last year the car was pulled up the ramp with the towing eye in the boot .

Poledriver
18-11-2008, 10:09 PM
The ammount of force needed to pull our cars up the ramp onto the flat bed would be quite considerable , enough to bend something I would imagine.
When I had a blowout last year the car was pulled up the ramp with the towing eye in the boot .

I've found it's usually easier to screw it into the front bumper and pull it from there! :D

GeoffW
18-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Ha:D Ha:D sorry Guys omitted the bit about the fact that its kept in the boot :) I blame the Beer, theres a fantastic brewery at Wickwar just down the road from Wilcoxes the MGR Garage, every time I drive buy the car strangley veers across the road into there car park :D

V8 Novi
19-11-2008, 03:53 PM
I think that sort of scenario is why I've taken over half my boot with a spare wheel, jack, wheel brace etc.

Probably a good idea also to drive the car on to a recovery truck if at all possible, even with a flat?

Hope you get it sorted OK.

scooter
21-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Sounds like you might have a claim but still think you will not need a new rack unless brut force was used the rack itself is strong but the arms are easily bent. The design of the track rod has a bend in it which is the weak link. Pulling the car by the steering arm could bend it but I would be surprised if the rack body is damaged as its well supported by its mountings. Is the steering stiff if not I thing the rack itself is ok. Give be a phone and I will talk you through the problem.

Bosworth
21-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks for that advice, the steering is not stiff and there are no tight spots. I have been advised not to drive the car. The AA are taking it to another garage to have the rack checked. I will post the results when I get them.

GeoffW
21-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Lets just hope the AAman didnt do his apprenticeship there !!