PDA

View Full Version : Master Cylinder(New)

Blue Flash
15-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Wanted or any help to obtain a clutch master cylinder(this part is unique to the 260 and the 75 item will not fit),thankfully it gave up the ghost on the drive and not at the side of the road :mad:.

Have tried ebay,main dealers,plus lots of other contacts.....NO JOY!

Thanks.

edfoxuk
15-08-2008, 08:17 PM
blimey................... what have xparts got to say about this?

how common is this isue? at what mileage?

GeoffW
15-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Isnt it the same as the new mini, I think someone did a comparison recently

Blue Flash
16-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Any more info....

reverie158
16-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Might be worth having a word with Andy (Scarlet Fever) as he had a load of work dome on the clutch.

Also have you tried ringing the MGOC?

EDIT: Try this thread https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=2721&highlight=clutch+master

Cheers

Justin

Blue Flash
16-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Cheers fellas,not had a proper chance to see till this morning,looks like a leak from the end of the master cylinder where the pipe goes through the bulkhead as theres drops on the rubber mat not a lot mind you but obviously suffice to render the unit U/S,hopefully it is this as first thoughts had me thinking slave cylinder which was replaced late last year and involved the dropping of the whole front end (engine out rad off etc),hopefully fingers crossed its the master due to the leak.The pedal has a little resistance at first when pressed then goes all the way down with ease requireing little or no pressure at all,but does return back up ok to its normal position.Cars done 57k to press.

PS. forgot to mention the part at the dealers was on back order and was quoted a price £230 as and when it became available!!.

Blue Flash
17-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks Justin for the above,so can anyone answer my next Q .... will the BMW Mini master cylinder(part no 6758826)fit the 260.As I will be in the vicinity of BMW Colne (Lancs)this week will pay a visit to the parts dept,I cant imagine that theirs will be £200+ plus god knows how long I'll be waiting for the part thats on back order if at all they can supply, has any one suffered a recent M/C failure and in a position to advise?..any help with parts/No's etc,etc,would be most welcome..Thanks.

Blue Flash
18-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Had it confirmed that it is indeed the(old) part no for the new mini and have ordered one @ £55 inc vat.. a bit different from the x part price of £219, I just hope that it will fit as Im gonna look silly if not :o.

Part no: 21526774078 BMW

pessling
18-08-2008, 04:52 PM
fingercrossed it is, at least with the new mini being around they should be avalible for years to come.

black olive
19-08-2008, 03:10 PM
sorry that your car is being the test bed for this :( but if it is a go-er then that is a very good find

Blue Flash
19-08-2008, 06:06 PM
........and the slave cylinder.....and the clutch...and can speak with authority tis indeed engine out to do it properly,but replaced the latter with the Mustang Cobra clutch circa 50% stronger than the OEM item.

Martin Warner
19-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Does that mean 50% harder to push the pedal? It is tough enough already!

Blue Flash
19-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Yes Martin it does require some more leg power! but decided after discussing the merits with Brian who in turn spoke to Sean Hyland,and that whilst the engine was out no harm would be done in fitting a stronger clutch,one thing I was pushing hard for was a lightened flywheel but Mr Hyland advised against this strongly particulary in a "daily drive car", ok for the track and big power applications but could be unsuitable for town driving....or something along those lines,and as that advice doesn't come much bigger had to concede the flywheel option!.:rolleyes:

reverie158
19-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Glad you've got to the bottom of it - but 55 versus 219 for the same part! That's got to be worth referring to Trading Standards!

Martin Warner
20-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Yes Martin it does require some more leg power! but decided after discussing the merits with Brian who in turn spoke to Sean Hyland,and that whilst the engine was out no harm would be done in fitting a stronger clutch,one thing I was pushing hard for was a lightened flywheel but Mr Hyland advised against this strongly particulary in a "daily drive car", ok for the track and big power applications but could be unsuitable for town driving....or something along those lines,and as that advice doesn't come much bigger had to concede the flywheel option!.:rolleyes:

I don't know if anyone else would agree but I find the amount of travel on the clutch pedal as much of a pain as the effort needed to push it. I have to sit closer to the wheel than I would like simply because of the clutch. If I put the seat where I feel most comfortable then every now and then I graunch the gears because I have not disengaged the clutch properly.

Apart from a wooden block on the pedal is there any way of improving this situation?

1POWERRACK
20-08-2008, 12:43 PM
yep I agree, I sometimes scrunch the gears due to the travel of the clutch pedal. lets hope the gearboxes are as tough as everyone says!

GeoffW
20-08-2008, 05:57 PM
If anyone is desperate for a new gearbox I just happen to have one under my bench

Blue Flash
20-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Can now confirm that the clutch master cylinder(replaced and fitted) is BMW MINI PART NO M21526774078 (£55 inc vat).... Xpart will charge you £220 plus for the same item.

spartacus
20-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Apart from a wooden block on the pedal is there any way of improving this situation?

I know it's all a bit 70's, but you could consider platform shoes. You never know, you could be at the start of a revival :D

Oh, and with regard the price differential, if we tell X-Part, they might consider their pricing for the part?

GeoffW
20-08-2008, 10:45 PM
No wonder so many MGR cars are written off with such high parts prices, if there prices were cheaper then there would be more on the road and then they would sell more parts :) simple, but that price is extortion I think a phone call to X part is in order, maybe just maybe there could be a mistake:confused: but I doubt it !! Glad you,ve solved the problem, maybe we should have a competition, who can come up with parts fitted to our cars that match others.

pessling
20-08-2008, 10:56 PM
i think a list was started already on the forum about what parts are from other cars, but would be a great idea to find out some more parts to add.

Peter

Martin Warner
21-08-2008, 08:05 AM
[QUOTE=baldybloke;18881]I know it's all a bit 70's, but you could consider platform shoes. You never know, you could be at the start of a revival :D

With Gary Glitter just out of prison now could be just the right time!

Blue Flash
21-08-2008, 08:37 PM
[quote=baldybloke;18881]I know it's all a bit 70's, but you could consider platform shoes. You never know, you could be at the start of a revival :D

Shame he didnt come out around the Xmas time.... Iran would have welcomed him with open arms...they love to hang Glitter there.

Poledriver
23-08-2008, 10:26 AM
[quote=baldybloke;18881]I know it's all a bit 70's, but you could consider platform shoes. You never know, you could be at the start of a revival :D

Or NOT!:eek:

re-tread
24-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Can now confirm that the clutch master cylinder(replaced and fitted) is BMW MINI PART NO M21526774078 (£55 inc vat).... Xpart will charge you £220 plus for the same item.

I had exactly the same problem as you Paul but did not get to find out about the Mini option until after I had bought the replacement from XPART :mad:. Did you notice difficulty getting gears a few days before it finally went ?