PDA

View Full Version : Message Centre Instrument Packs

SMC Trading
24-06-2008, 12:22 PM
We have the following brand new MG ZT V8 instrument packs with message centre for sale at a very special price on this forum only:

YAC003940LNF RRP £628.00 up to VIN 000218
YAC005090LNF RRP £500.00 from VIN 000219 on

OFFER PRICE JUST £49.99 + £10.00 UK post

Should you wish to take advantage of this great offer please make a Paypal payment to smctrading@aol.com

*£5.00 from each sale will be donated back to the club

Phil
24-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Les,

For the benefit of members, could you please explain exactly what the message centre comprises, and what other items would be required to get it up and running.

Sounds like a great deal!

Thanks

Phil

SMC Trading
24-06-2008, 02:01 PM
For more details and to see a photo have a look at one I have on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ZT-V8-Instrument-Pack-with-message-centre-A12_W0QQitemZ130228191830QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10414Q QcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

Phil
24-06-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm still a little unclear about what service the message centre provides. :o

SMC Trading
24-06-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm still a little unclear about what service the message centre provides. :o

I have only seen these in non V8 cars but they replace the normal warning lights with an LCD display as well as trip distance, fuel used, average speed, miles left in tank etc, you can set it to warn you when you reach a pre set speed limit, there are quite a few extra functions like digital read out of MPH etc, I am sure someone will be along shortly who has one fitted and can explain it better than me!

You will need to obtain another indicator switch with the extra button, you can get these from £20.00+ at breakers, then a short set-up on a T4 machine, no other parts or wiring is needed

Womble
24-06-2008, 05:33 PM
They're fitted to all SE spec cars, I would imagine?

It tells you if you've had a bulb fail, if you've left a door ajar which one it is, if you're running low on washer fluid and.. er, in a V8, that's pretty much it.

The computer functions in the V8, off the top of my head are average speed, digital speed readout, a second trip meter and a speed alarm which you can set at the speed of your choice. OK I guess, but nothing like as useful as it could be if it was rigged up to show things like fuel remaining. Having said that, I once deliberately ran a Saab 900 Turbo down to empty with a can in the boot, just to see where it thought empty actually was. At the time, it was telling me I had a remaining range of minus 43 miles! :D

robertf999
24-06-2008, 07:59 PM
I am a bit confused (not difficult, I know!)

#248 is a non-SE spec car. But, I have the message centre display as described in the handbook with all the bulb failure, boot open etc. messages.

But, I don't have the indicator stalk with the button on the end. So, do I have a trip computer or not? Do I just need a new indicator stalk and away I go?

Rob

Phil
25-06-2008, 09:05 AM
#248 is a non-SE spec car. But, I have the message centre display as described in the handbook with all the bulb failure, boot open etc. messages.

They're fitted to all SE spec cars, I would imagine?
It tells you if you've had a bulb fail, if you've left a door ajar which one it is, if you're running low on washer fluid and.. er, in a V8, that's pretty much it.

All the cars have that. SE or not. Unless you have the digital MPH readout, I would say you don't have the message centre.

Womble
25-06-2008, 09:21 AM
All the cars have that. SE or not. Unless you have the digital MPH readout, I would say you don't have the message centre.

Ah, OK.

In that case, all the message centre does is the following:

Digital speed reading
Speed alarm (which from memory I think you need to reset each time)
A second trip meter
Average speedIf you've got to replace your instrument panel for some reason, then it wouldn't hurt to have one with the message centre, but I probably wouldn't recommend anyone bothering to fit one otherwise.

GeoffW
25-06-2008, 10:29 PM
I have this on my car and never use it, I remember the first time The max speed alarm went off, it was at night lots of red flashing lights, with a loud bong bong noise, frightened me to death thought at first it was a terminal engine problem Ha Ha, now i think its set to 110 mph so it dosen't go off very often ;);)

pessling
25-06-2008, 10:42 PM
If you hold the computer button in you can reset it to zero, and it won't go off. I love using the digital speedo tho on it

NOCTURNAL
26-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Robert from what I have gathered on the 75andzt forum if you have the display, then you will only need the new stalk to access the functions,

however as has been stated they are rather stunted functions on the V8 hehe

Womble has listed the 4 available.
The speed warning is settable in 5mph increments,or indeed turned off as Peter mentioned.

That said I think I'll have another one :P I've sourced the Leds I need, but negotiations fell down at payment/delivery/security level :(

I now need a Reliable Hong Kong contact as a go-between rofl...

Will pm you in a bit Les..

NOCTURNAL
27-06-2008, 01:38 AM
Payment sent as requested...
Its the Blue illumination V8 clocks for a Mk2 that I need, YAC005090LNF RRP £500.00 from VIN 000219 on

along with "these are the plastic headlamp covers part number XBV100601 for the 75/ZT facelift models "

Thanks, Nick :D

NOCTURNAL
30-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Recieved with Thanks Les...

Nick

SMC Trading
04-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Perhaps a mod/admin can point me in the direction where I can donate £5.00 from the sale

Tim
04-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Perhaps a mod/admin can point me in the direction where I can donate £5.00 from the sale

PM sent Les. Thanks for the thought.

Tim

Ian Maw
05-07-2008, 07:32 AM
I can only assume that these will only fit mk1 vehicles ( add states upto vin 218 only ) . Still a great way to clock your cars, as the mileometer would be set to 0 !!!

NOCTURNAL
05-07-2008, 11:28 AM
I can only assume that these will only fit mk1 vehicles ( add states upto vin 218 only ) . Still a great way to clock your cars, as the mileometer would be set to 0 !!!

There are 2 model numbers Ian, the second one is effectively from 219 on...

and no 'clocking' ... IIRC the milage is stored in the Lighting Module and I believe T4 is required to transfer the milage, if this isn't done I belive the milometer dosent work after a few miles...
#I wait to be corrected but I belive thats the score...
Mine will only be fitted if I screw up my 'Led project':(

NIck

pessling
05-07-2008, 04:58 PM
don't know where the milage is stored but its not on the instrument pack, as you can disconect it and remove it and wen reconnected comes back, the only things that reset are the trip

GeoffW
05-07-2008, 08:59 PM
One interesting point I realised today whilst reading the cars manual, when the battery in the key is getting low the message centre shows up a key symbol

NOCTURNAL
05-07-2008, 09:56 PM
don't know where the milage is stored but its not on the instrument pack, as you can disconect it and remove it and wen reconnected comes back, the only things that reset are the trip

I believe the milage is stored in the instrument pack and the lighting module... the milages are compared and if within range all is well, but if the milages dont match it craps out...

However for a brand new instrment pack and a session on T4, I have been told you have about 50 miles or so to get it set to the correct milage

Nick