PDA

View Full Version : airbag problem

tim.h
13-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi
My airbag warning light is on, i have had it on a computer and the following codes are logged.

1605 front pretensioner left or serial front pretensioner short to ground on squib
180a right side airbag open circuit

has anyone had any problems like this and could point me in the right direction??

regards

Tim

Phil
13-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Yes, this is a common problem. There are loads of threads on here about it. Use the search facility.

Tim
13-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Poor man does not have access.........yet!

I bet you are quite tall Tim. The problem relates to a wire under your seat pulling. You need to feel around for it and either extend or make sure the connection is sound. Us shorties don't suffer from this. :)

Welcome to the forum.

Willieo
28-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Chop off the yellow connector under the seat and replace it with a terminal strip chocolate block thingy. Thats what finally cured mine.

Sometimes wiggling the connector and making sure its not strained makes it work fine for a while.

LeRoiDeLaRue
13-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Mine came on today ..... after 2 separate passengers were gifted gentle short cruises ... Initial oh-no-here-we-go is temporarily becoming tentative reassurance ... but i wm hot footing it out to the motor to try the wiggle test ...

LeRoiDeLaRue
13-03-2014, 07:05 PM
... there we go .... no light on when checked just and there sure are a few of those connectors under the seats ... How good are you guys! Cheers :-)

Tim
13-03-2014, 08:18 PM
glad you sorted it out so quickly. :)

WNJ516
13-03-2014, 09:11 PM
I solved all my similar problems by taking the connectors apart and adjusting the sliding contact so it makes a more positive connection when assembled, then taped up each connector with the cables from the seat side bent back over the connector and secured by the tape. I have had no further problems for the last 2 yrs.

trikey
13-03-2014, 09:27 PM
The only way of curing this once and for all is to remove the connector plugs and solder the wires together, ALWAYS remove the battery connection first, and go away for a coffee for 20mins before playing with the airbag circuitry, it needs time to discharge!

LeRoiDeLaRue
13-03-2014, 10:00 PM
well lads & lasses (?) it seems to be fine now. I dont mind if it happens now and again cos at least it aint a genuine alert and i have saved money by not having to take it to a mechanic who might not fix it but still charge for the pleasure.

Not much space to get under them seats is there? I might train a capuchin monkey to get under and change the connectors :-D (EDIT - Joking!!)

Long live the car owner forum!

peterv8
13-03-2014, 11:54 PM
well lads & lasses (?) it seems to be fine now. I dont mind if it happens now and again cos at least it aint a genuine alert and i have saved money by not having to take it to a mechanic who might not fix it but still charge for the pleasure.

Not much space to get under them seats is there? I might train a capuchin monkey to get under and change the connectors :-D (EDIT - Joking!!)

Long live the car owner forum!

Loosen the bolts holding the seat and tilt it forwards, no need to train a capuchin monkey!:-)

Ken B
14-03-2014, 01:32 PM
mine turned out to be two failed airbags and the steering wheel rotary connector. connections under the seat had already been done. I took mine to an auto electrician...

LeRoiDeLaRue
14-03-2014, 08:43 PM
mine turned out to be two failed airbags and the steering wheel rotary connector. connections under the seat had already been done. I took mine to an auto electrician...

summat not right about the set up then if one can get these warnings, remove them by messing with connections and then discovering there might be a serious problem ... Mine did it today again but i just had time to literally wave my hand around the wires under the seat , wiggle them a bit, turn the engine off and on again and no more warning light.

So how much does that proper fix cost? Is the answer how long is a piece of string , as in depends on how good the spark is?

............ :confused:

Herman
14-03-2014, 08:51 PM
summat not right about the set up then if one can get these warnings, remove them by messing with connections and then discovering there might be a serious problem ... Mine did it today again but i just had time to literally wave my hand around the wires under the seat , wiggle them a bit, turn the engine off and on again and no more warning light.

So how much does that proper fix cost? Is the answer how long is a piece of string , as in depends on how good the spark is?

............ :confused:

One light indicating various faults.................if it's not one it must be the other :)

Costs depends on the fault..........................

And with regards to the string................is it rubber or nylon ?

That's why a proper code reader comes in handy........................

LeRoiDeLaRue
14-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Will get my questionnaire filled in in the morning and sent off to Tim so I can get access to full rights & find out more about who is where and start hooking up with fellow 260iers face to face

trikey
14-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Where abouts are you, I can put your car on the T4 and tell you exactly where the fault lies.

LeRoiDeLaRue
14-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Am in Crosby, Liverpool, Trikey