PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy?

spartacus
24-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Hi, new here but been on other mg-rover (hint) forum for ages. I'm going to have a look number 798 tomorrow. Does anyone know it? I believe it may have an interesting provenance, but I'm hoping you may know more.

I know I'm being vague...

BTW, I'm (hopefully) going one up from my current ZT-T 190

bb

colintf
25-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi bb, and welcome!

I'm struggling to open the link, it's sooooo slow to open.

Do you know the last 3 numbers of the VIN number? It might be known to us?

Good Luck!

Col

spartacus
25-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Interesting - I have no trouble opening it (it's an autotrader link)

Don't know the VIN I'm afraid. Apparently it used to wear the number MG 51 ROV though...

SH4RKY
25-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Tanz has his up for sale at the moment. Its had all the mods and fixes done on it and its being advertised for an insanely low price... Worth checking out if 798 doesn't fit the bill.

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=42607

Redrover
25-05-2008, 01:19 PM
With only 883 built, number 798 should be a good buy as it is near the last to be built.

Herman
25-05-2008, 06:47 PM
yes, buy :)

Tim
25-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Yes buy, belonged to a member called Mark. Was also owned by one of the four MGR directors, fully loaded.

spartacus
25-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the advice :D

Didn't get to see it today because of the weather :( but will go when it perks up.

I'm glad you have confirmed what I had found myself - previous owner and previous previous owner. Do you know if he had the regular mods done (hose and clip)? If not, where's best in the south-east to get them done, I say blindly assuming I can't do it myself?

Hopefully I'll be a regular on here soon...

Phil
26-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Both jobs fairly easy and well documented. Whether they have been done or not should be fairly easy to find out, given the car's provenance.

Tim
27-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the advice :D

Didn't get to see it today because of the weather :( but will go when it perks up.

I'm glad you have confirmed what I had found myself - previous owner and previous previous owner. Do you know if he had the regular mods done (hose and clip)? If not, where's best in the south-east to get them done, I say blindly assuming I can't do it myself?

Hopefully I'll be a regular on here soon...

Bookham know it well. You are surrounded by about four of us, Epsom, Dorking, Guildford, West Byfleet. Use a 260 friendly bloke called Peter. He can do the mods if not done already.

spartacus
27-05-2008, 11:12 PM
OK, I've done the deed - 798 will be mine in a few days!

It's very black and, compared to the 190, pretty loud. I guess it's the X-Power exhausts.

One thing I find spooky... some of the late 400 cars on here are 06 reg, yet my late 700 is an 05. Does that mean mine was used straight from the factory and the others sat on an airfield for a couple of weeks ;)

Anyway, I suppose I'd better get my a$$ in gear and become a full member now.

I'm going to miss the ZT-T - she's been a good servant for the last 3 years :(

ksilver
28-05-2008, 04:07 PM
One thing I find spooky... some of the late 400 cars on here are 06 reg, yet my late 700 is an 05. Does that mean mine was used straight from the factory and the others sat on an airfield for a couple of weeks ;)

I have #317 and it's 56 reg! And yes I think it may have sat in a field for a while as there are a few "mice nibble" tell-tales under the bonnet!! (Nothing Serious thou')

colintf
28-05-2008, 05:03 PM
OK, I've done the deed - 798 will be mine in a few days!

It's very black and, compared to the 190, pretty loud. I guess it's the X-Power exhausts.

Anyway, I suppose I'd better get my a$$ in gear and become a full member now.

I'm going to miss the ZT-T - she's been a good servant for the last 3 years :(

nice one - well done mate

:cool:

pessling
28-05-2008, 08:03 PM
mines very late, 860 and was registered as an 05, so nothing to worry about at all