PDA

View Full Version : Buying advice

Armando Loni
03-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Hello, chaps, and thanks for letting me in! Here's how my interest was fired up......

We've been looking for a newer car to replace my 3.0i Supra (Turbo) - we need an estate, due to increase family size and associated gubbins. I considered German, for a while, then decided I wanted to buy British (I've also got a 1968 Reliant GT Coupe - forerunner to the Scimitar). I've always liked the 75 model and found a local non-franchise dealer selling an MG75 ZT 190, which I took out. Very nice indeed but having looked into the various engine-related foibles on the MG-Rover forums, I'm thinking it may be better to go for the V8 version. I found some postings on Youtube and once I heard that V8 sound I was hooked - it has to be this model (despite impending road fund increases).

I'm used to 20mpg from the Supra, and only do about 3000miles per year, so fuel consumption isn't really a worry. I've found what appears to be a very nice 2004 (53-plate) 260 with 25K on the clock, and 4 previous owners, retailing at another garage for £5 under £10K. It's been sitting on the forecourt for 6 months (last MOT'd Oct07), and I'm yet to decide on viewing (it's 400 miles away!).

A few questions......

Aside from the obvious of having it fully serviced, and replacing anything suspect (eg pads & disks), what should I look out for/haggle on? They say a 3month warranty will be isued, but this, I think, is the statutory minimum for a car of this age/price? I was thinking along the lines of an Xpart service and 1 year full warranty. I've seen a few postings related to having heater hoses changed, diff oil, and petrol pump clips, etc - why and what else should I insist on? Are the central locking problems of the 190 similar on the 260? I've seen higher-mileage 260's at around £6K-£7K - what would be a good offer price to make?

Many thanks!

Armando.

Tim
03-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Hello Armando & welcome

The hose, clip, diff oil etc are things we have picked up as owners but as life goes on you will find that these have been done on cars that are re-sold on. If you find a car with these done invariably it has been owned by an enthusiast. Ask the dealer if these have been done. If he is able to verify this then they also know about our cars. If you are concerned get them to sent you a picture of the engine bay and post it here. We will have a look.

Where is the car being sold? If someone is close they could take a look for you.

There are no reports relating to the central locking, flat batteries, wet carpets, yes.

grx548
03-04-2008, 08:44 PM
I think the ZTT you are referring to is at Hardies in Larbert.

Its the one with no service history, & suggestions of having had some panel damage ................! Beware!

cherrybusa
04-04-2008, 08:34 AM
A 2004 facelift ZTT non SE (but with power windows all round) said to be mint condition with 44000 miles sold for £7600 last night on ebay. Warranty was £400 extra plus £180 for Service.
If you believe the auction block to be a reasonable barometer of current value then this gives a good indication what you should be offering (+for lower mileage/SE etc)
Stuart

Armando Loni
04-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Hardie Cars, Falkirk - the same?! I contacted them last week and asked for details of the service history, which they didn't do. I asked also asked them about bodywork - they said it was fine!

Is the car known to the Forum? Has anyone inspected it?

What are the issues Tim mentioned about flat batteries (Sat Nav?) and water ingress?

colintf
04-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi and welcone and good luck!

find out the last 3 digits of the VIN number and post it here - see if it's a known car.

:cool:

BigA
04-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Armando,
Don't rush in if it's the one mentioned.They come up for sale reasonably often and it's worth the wait for a good one!
A

Tim
04-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Hardie Cars, Falkirk - the same?! I contacted them last week and asked for details of the service history, which they didn't do. I asked also asked them about bodywork - they said it was fine!

What are the issues Tim mentioned about flat batteries (Sat Nav?) and water ingress?

Sat nav can be a problem by staying on draining the battery, also reports of water getting in through either the rear window, boot seal or sunroof but these are not V8 related more 75/ZT generally.

SH4RKY
05-04-2008, 11:42 PM
The ebay one is discussed here:
http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=41872

martin-reyland
08-04-2008, 10:52 AM
The ebay one is discussed here:
http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=41872

My first post on here so hi guys :p

I am just about to collect VIN no 470, I have bought it for my wife. I noticed the topic after I had agreed to buy the car and was worried to say the least even though it was HPI clear :confused: Anyhow after much digging I have got to the bottom of the matter, I will post the whole story some time but this is the short version..

DeanoUK (xpower topic starter) paid a deposit on VIN 470 and because it had less than 6 months MOT left to run the Car Supermarket who were selling decided to re MOT it but during the test the tester was not happy with the power steering on full lock and thought there was a problem with the pump.

The Car Supermarket did not own the car, they were simply selling for the owner. To cover themselves they told the owner that it needed a rack and pump and that the bill would be £900. The owner said he would send it to auction rather than spend that amount.

So left with no car to sell the car SuperMarket told deanouk that during the MOT they found the steering issue and also said it had sustained a heavy front impact, this was done so that he would walk away rather than insisting that the power steering repairs were carried out.

It then appears on ebay and everyone left it alone, probably because of the x power thread. My gain as I bought it very cheaply, this leaves me more cash for modifications :D

So to sum this up, there is nothing wrong with VIN 470!!!

Phil
10-04-2008, 08:16 AM
I've been reading this saga, Martin and I see that Dean has come to the same conclusion as you. To your benefit, so well done and welcome.

The whole tale has not done anything to raise my respect for car supermarkets however, who in general, I hold in utter contempt.

Anyway, due to a bit of canny detective work, this has worked out in your favour. I hope you enjoy owning the car.

stevesaville
20-04-2008, 05:14 PM

Hi Guys :D New to the site and just thought i'd say hi !
First off i would like to appologise to Armando as i have cut a deal on the 260 SE T in Falkirk. In my deffence i only discovered this forum today so if i have peed anyone off or trod on some toes i'm genuinly sorry ;)
Just thought i would put the record straight on the car. The build number is 123 and although there is no record of it being in a bump when i went up on saturday and give it a good going over it became obvious it has. It has had 2 new genuine doors fitted N/S for whatever reason and isn't that bad a job.There is no recent service history but after being over it with a tooth comb everthing backed up the claimed 26000. After talking to Tim the admin at 260's he has confirmed through the 2nd owner that it was damaged while in the hands of it's 1st owner and that the usual heater pipe and fuel pump clip had been done. His record of milege backs things up too. I also picked up on a poor repair on the very bottom of the N/S sill looked like it had ran over a high kerb. Other than that all the gaps measured up and it is spottless underneath with brand new pads and disks all round with original conti tyres all round too. During the test drive i was even more convinced it was a good car. It pulled perfectly and sounded every bit like a V8 monster should. The handling was impeccable and stopped well too ( not that i use brakes often :D ) All in all it seemed a shame to condemn it for the panel work specially when as it appears there isn't many tourer 260 SE's about. Seeing as in my previous life i was a mechanic for 15 years i am more than happy to sort out the niggles my self. Besides i used all my findings as a huge lever to get the price right down, 12 months MOT and Tax, 2 small scuffs repaired on the bumper, warranty and a few other bits too. Hopefuly all going well pick it up saturday and i have to say i'm absolutely over the moon with it and can't wait. Will keep you guys posted and again Armando i'm truly sorry.
CheeRS, Steve.

SH4RKY
21-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi and welcome to the fold!

Another 260 saved? I hope so, good luck with the purchase.

I would usually post a link to www.two-sixties.com (http://www.two-sixties.com) here, but seems like you have already found us :D

colintf
21-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi Steve, and welcome!

:cool:

BigA
21-04-2008, 09:25 PM
If Armando's still looking and it's still available, edzios car is a steal!!

SH4RKY
21-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Think Eddy has sold his car now.

stevesaville
26-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Well guys picked up 123 from Falkirk this mornin and all i can say is :D:D:D:D I would say that i'm over the moon but you probably guessed that !!
Thanks for your kind welcome and lookin forward to driving 123 for many years to come. While i'm here i keep getting an Er code on my climate control screen on passenger and driver side any ideas ?
Thanks again cheeRS

stevesaville
27-04-2008, 04:15 PM
It's ok guys i fixed it. If anyone else has the same problem it was a dodgy thyrister which caused a fuse to blow. It's hiding behind the drivers side dash behind the little vent to the left of the steering wheel that tells the climate control what temperature the air is. It was covered in dust so thick i couldn't hardly see it once i had took it apart. Just cleaned it up and replaced the fuse and bob's your uncle :D

Womble
27-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Other than that all the gaps measured up and it is spottless underneath with brand new pads and disks all round with original conti tyres all round too.

Did they give you paperwork to support this? Reason I ask is that the rear pads are one of the few ludicrously expensive parts on the car at around £350 + VAT. Each! If it has new rear discs, it's well worth having the paper to show it! :)

Welcome, btw. Assuming your car is the one I think it is, then you're now one of only 23 other Mk1 tourer owners on the face of the planet! :D

stevesaville
27-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Welcome, btw. Assuming your car is the one I think it is, then you're now one of only 23 other Mk1 tourer owners on the face of the planet!

Thanks for the welcome :D Sadly there wasn't any paperwork to support this, BUT the rear pads are definately new as they look brand new with a full thickness of compound on and not a spot of rust and the discs you could eat your dinner off. There isn't even a brown watermark on the vents or hub couldn't believe it!!
Yes she is a series 1 tourer and a real beut and in my favourite trophy blue colour. Don't know why but i have to say it's my favourite MG colour. I knew they were rare but 1 of 23 in the world :eek: My wife is still trying to pick me off the floor :D We should all get together start our own chapter ;)

SH4RKY
28-04-2008, 02:35 PM
I think the above post by womble should read:

--that the rear discs are one of the few--

Rear pads arent too bad, just the discs that cost a fortune.

Womble
28-04-2008, 06:54 PM
I think the above post by womble should read:

--that the rear discs are one of the few--

Rear pads arent too bad, just the discs that cost a fortune.

You are correct, of course. Mind you, if you actually pay MGR prices for rear pads, as opposed to ordering the pads as the front pads for an Elise or similar, you'll still be pretty shocked by the price of them too! :D