PDA

View Full Version : Another (probable) Newbie

JulesV
17-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Hi All

I am currently in negotiations to buy this:

http://www.smc-cars.com/MG_Rover/UsedCars/view/10111

I have been looking for a Mark 1 ZT-T 260 without success. Went for a test drive in the above car yesterday and hopefully am inching closer to a deal.

If anyone knows anything about the car (VIN Number 405) I would be very pleased to hear from you.

SH4RKY
18-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Tim should know if its been through the two sixties before...

Martin Warner
18-03-2008, 05:21 PM
I had a look at this car at SMC about six weeks ago. It looked ok but I reckon it had been standing for a while. The salesman tried to bully me into paying a deposit there and then because apparently there were loads of people coming to look at it that weekend and it would be gone in a flash! I bought another one for £2k less with half the mileage.

My advice is make him a silly offer, leave your phone number and walk away - be brave!

Martin

JulesV
18-03-2008, 05:35 PM
I have offered £11,995 to include XPower exhausts or Zeros and a three year warranty and a few other cosmetic bits and a full service and new heater hoses and fuel pump clip. Am waiting for an answer. Where did you end up buying yours from?

colintf
18-03-2008, 06:17 PM
what ever you decide to do with this one - good luck!

:cool:

Martin Warner
19-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Watch out for the warranty. You usually find there is so much small print on servicing etc that it is almost impossible to meet their requirements without spending more money than you are risking without it.

I found mine on Autotrader. I did not like the colour in the pictures, but in the flesh it looked great so I bought it. I just love it.

Towed my Twin Cam MGA on a trailer 220 miles up to Pontefract yesterday. I hardly new it was there. I had to concentrate hard to keep the speed down!

Good luck!

Martin

SH4RKY
19-03-2008, 11:09 AM
If they agree to fit a hose, make sure its a Two Sixties uprated one.

pessling
19-03-2008, 03:16 PM
SMC are a hard bunch, for the heater hose you would be better of fitting it yourself. they wouldn't even check to see if the fuel clip had been put on mine when i asked them. As i extended my warrenty with them i've been taking it to them for the oil services and doing the other little things myself, diff oil, air filter, pollen etc

JulesV
19-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Martin, which car did you end up buying? Also are your comments regarding the warranty specific to the SMC warranty?

I have just noticed that another two have just appeared on Autotrader. Incidentally the one being offered by Continental Cars is VIN No 470 which will be familiar to many on here......

colintf
19-03-2008, 06:04 PM
they did the hose and clip for me - it's worth a try asking!

:cool:

pessling
19-03-2008, 06:20 PM
must be once they have your money then

Womble
19-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Martin, which car did you end up buying? Also are your comments regarding the warranty specific to the SMC warranty?

I have just noticed that another two have just appeared on Autotrader. Incidentally the one being offered by Continental Cars is VIN No 470 which will be familiar to many on here......

The SMC warranty is pretty good. They paid out with no quibbles for a new alternator for me.

Martin Warner
20-03-2008, 10:00 AM
I have no experience of SMC's warranties but I have had some really stupid experiences with others in the past. If SMC handle their own warranties then you can at least negotiate. Some dealers lay the warranty off to an insurance policy. I once had a refusal to pay out because I had gone 200 miles over on a service. Hence my scepticism.

Martin

pessling
20-03-2008, 10:25 AM
As said the warrenty offered by SMC is good, i know i said about the fuel clip there answer was more if you break down then we will do it? But i have had other things like tracking down under warrenty etc.

JulesV
20-03-2008, 12:50 PM
They are trying to say that they can only put a 1 year SMC warranty on it followed by a 2 year insurance backed warranty. I have refused this so will continue to wait.

Phil
20-03-2008, 06:46 PM
They are trying to say that they can only put a 1 year SMC warranty on it followed by a 2 year insurance backed warranty. I have refused this so will continue to wait.
I thought that was standard, although I have no experience of SMC, really.
A 2 year insurance company warranty would cost up to £4-500. I had no problem with mine and had the diff replaced.

pessling
20-03-2008, 07:13 PM
thats what i have, after the smc one ran out, i got another 2year one from them which could well be the 2year insurance backed one. not sure how much i paid for extended it tho. was last summer that i extended it

mikpeirce
20-03-2008, 11:19 PM
I also viewed this car last September/October, makes me smile that they still have got it advertised at the same price for over 6 months!

I decided at the time not to go for it, seemed to pull a little on the test drive and there was a little bit of steering wheel shake. Also I'm pretty sure it looked like the car had some paintwork on the o/s rear quarter.

I thought I'd mention these points in-case you missed them and weren't hipnotised by that lovely V8 burble! :D

Still looking for the right ZT-T for myself, even after Mr Tax man wants to roger as all from next year with his doubleing of road tax. :mad:

Good luck if you do manage to get this car for the right money.

JulesV
21-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Must admit I did not notice any problems with the steering. Also didn't notice any paint repairs although it was raining when I viewed the car.

Mike H
23-03-2008, 09:37 AM
I only got 12months from SMC. Purchased a further 3 years from warranty direct.

JulesV
23-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I only got 12months from SMC. Purchased a further 3 years from warranty direct.

Did you have to make any claims and did they pay up without too much hassle?

JulesV
29-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Well, I've bought it. Finally did a deal today and paid a deposit. Will collect when all the bits and pieces have been sorted.

SH4RKY
31-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Congratz!

Welcome to the Two Sixties :D

Tim
31-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Well, I've bought it. Finally did a deal today and paid a deposit. Will collect when all the bits and pieces have been sorted.

Good man! Welcome to ownership.

Behold the site opens up before you! :D

JulesV
31-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I am starting to have a look around the site and it looks great.

Out of interest is there any full list of VIN Numbers, colours etc. Would just be interesting to know how many other cars there are like mine.

stevemiller
31-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Welcome from another new and proud owner. I drove your car and the mildly tuned purple/blue flip paint job about 1 month past. I never noticed any pull. I was looking for the ZT and the only standard tune car ready to roll was your very own. Good luck and enjoy.

Steve. :)

cherrybusa
02-04-2008, 11:07 AM
This posted up for first time in email today - is this not same 'SMC' dark blue car?
http://www.motors.co.uk/car-14621286-0?referring_site=carbymail

Stuart

JulesV
02-04-2008, 07:04 PM
This posted up for first time in email today - is this not same 'SMC' dark blue car?
http://www.motors.co.uk/car-14621286-0?referring_site=carbymail

Stuart

Yes, that's a bit strange. I have paid a deposit and am waiting for a phone call when the work is completed.

Tim
02-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Not that strange. They don't rush. If someone rings they will offer another.

Unless you get gerzumped :D

cherrybusa
02-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Don't know if you noticed but they have also reduced the price to £11,950. I note tha car has gone from Autotrader but not from SMCs own site.

Stuart