PDA

View Full Version : Help!

skinner's pigeon
25-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Hi - i'm a new member. I went to see a ZTT 260 last week, fell in love with it, put a deposit down. However, idly surfing the xpower forum i came across posts from the previous owner who refers to it as a 'lemon', citing persistent water leaks, busted sat-nav, and sump leak as problems for which it wet back to the place i'm buying it from many times without success.(he did say he enjoyed driving it and didn't mention any other faults).
Am i screwed? I really really want one but it's a lot of money for a mobile swimming pool!The salespperson only mentioned the satnav which was being fixed/replaced.
In anticipation of your collective wisdom......

The Pigeon

SH4RKY
25-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Whats its VIN?? Someone will be able to confirm the previous owner and if it is his so called 'lemon'...?

The water leaks should be fixable though, from memory there are only 2. The sun roof drainage tubes (easy fix, install longer ones?) and boot/rear window leaks allowing water into the boot and often onto the satnav. Both should be fixable I believe?

I think V8Petes car is having a body work fix applied to the rear of his car via Summit Garage. Worth asking him/them if they know specific areas to check.

Is it only a deposit at the moment? Possible refund??

oh and never believe a car sales man ;)

colintf
25-02-2008, 06:49 PM
hey - good luck!

:cool:

skinner's pigeon
25-02-2008, 07:01 PM
cheers guys
you may have guessed that my post on xpower was prior to finding out this little tid-bit. the chassis is no.26, and the previous owner posted as SteveV8 on Xpower. I've spoken to Dreadnought, and they also say water leaks should be a simple fix - leaking windscreen seal as one poster suggested? Can't see why it would take so loong to fix anyway.
I've spoken to trading standards, but i have to say i'm still quite keen - it's not as though the engine kept falling out! Anyhow, toomorrow i'll phone SMC with my findings and see what they have to say: they certain can't pretend they didn't know about it.
I did a basic insection and a test drive, and didn't get any 'bad vibes' about any aspect of the car (unlike one i looked at in northampton)

i'll keep you posted.......:eek:

Womble
25-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Is this the silver one at SMC? If so, then yes, I believe it is the same car.

Given that there are so few tourers to choose from - other than my own, I've only seen 5 others for sale in 2 years - to an extent you'll have to decide if you want to lose out on that one vs the risk of not finding the right alternative.

Your best bet might be to go back in, explain that you've seen this information through the owners' club, and ask them to firstly state in writing what they've done to fix it, and secondly, that they specifically include any further problems in their warranty cover, as water ingress often isn't included.

SH4RKY
26-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Take note that the carpets and sound deadening material are quite thick, so even if the passenger footwell feels dry it may be soaked threw underneth.

Im guessing the car comes with a warrenty though... so its really in their interest to get the car is sorted, otherwise it will just keep bouncing back to them costing them time and money.

tapped
26-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Take note that the carpets and sound deadening material are quite thick, so even if the passenger footwell feels dry it may be soaked threw underneth.

Im guessing the car comes with a warrenty though... so its really in their interest to get the car is sorted, otherwise it will just keep bouncing back to them costing them time and money.

Definitely best to get it all 100% before taking it. Those used car warranties only go so far and are generally more mechanically oriented. Waterleaks etc might be an excluded item!! Read the small print :D

pessling
26-02-2008, 09:37 PM
smc warrenty is pretty good. i extended mine and they haven't questioned any thing that i have brought up and to get checked.