PDA

View Full Version : Apex wheel

Bob Course
21-02-2008, 10:17 AM
One of my apex wheels has a locking wheelnut that has been done up so tight that I may have to cause fatal damage to my wheel to remove it.
Hence I am looking for another wheel. Can anybody help?

black olive
21-02-2008, 09:41 PM
just a suggestion- take it to a garage where they have an impact wrench- that should free it

Bob Course
22-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Have been to two garages and broken three tools. The chrome head has now sheared off of the bolt leaving a small stub poking out. Nightmare.
In the meantime lets hope I don't have a puncture on that wheel.

pessling
22-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Have been to two garages and broken three tools. The chrome head has now sheared off of the bolt leaving a small stub poking out. Nightmare.

now that is a problem

AndyG
22-02-2008, 07:47 PM

My Thoughts:

Centre punch well at the center.
Drill out the head, Take your time it is worth it. Start with a small drill 3-4 mm slowly increase in size 1-2 mm each time , plenty of water to cool the drill bit, once you have drilled the head off, Check to make sure you have only a parallel stud left down the hole, you can remove the wheel.

Spray stud base (Do not get on Disk) with WD40 or similar, leave for 2-3 hours, spray again, leave for 1 hour. or overnight.

Mole grips should remove the stud, or a stud remover.

Tap out all the holes, Very carefull to stop the swarf going in the hole.
Remove disk?.
I have a tap I can lend you if you can not get one, (I forget size)

:)
Edit:
Tap Size:
Mine is a Dormer E513 M14x1.5 No2 Sec. About £25?

pessling
22-02-2008, 08:15 PM
My Thoughts:

Centre punch well at the center.
Drill out the head, Take your time it is worth it. Start with a small drill 3-4 mm slowly increase in size 1-2 mm each time , plenty of water to cool the drill bit, once you have drilled the head off, Check to make sure you have only a parallel stud left down the hole, you can remove the wheel.

Spray stud base (Do not get on Disk) with WD40 or similar, leave for 2-3 hours, spray again, leave for 1 hour. or overnight.

Mole grips should remove the stud, or a stud remover.

Tap out all the holes, Very carefull to stop the swarf going in the hole.
Remove disk?.
I have a tap I can lend you if you can not get one, (I forget size)

:)

totally agree with that method. saves the garages messing up the wheel.

AndyG
24-02-2008, 01:06 AM
Tap Size:
Mine is a Dormer E513 M14x1.5 No2 Sec. About £25?

Bob Course
24-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks. I will order one through work. They won't know what its for.