PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning....

Bullet
02-12-2007, 02:25 PM
I have just bought a Mk1 MG ZT V8 which is great apart from the rattling noise coming from the AC compressor, don't suppose this is normal????

Bullet

Tim
02-12-2007, 02:31 PM
I have just bought a Mk1 MG ZT V8 which is great apart from the rattling noise coming from the AC compressor, don't suppose this is normal????

Bullet

No its not either your belt touching bits it shouldn't or compressor is on its last legs. Would take it back to the garage.

Also notices you are down as a registered user. With a V8 you should be a Two-Sixties user. If you fill in the questionnaire and send it back with all the boxes ticked the rest of the site will be opened before your very eyes ;)

SH4RKY
02-12-2007, 03:15 PM
+ welcome to the fold

colintf
02-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Hey welcome! Where you to?

:cool:

Bullet
02-12-2007, 08:19 PM
I am moving to Warwick in the next 2 weeks, starting a new job in Jan and I have given up my company car for something more exciting..

Bullet
02-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks, looking forward to enjoying the MG. Only driven it for 200 miles and it feels great.

Bullet
02-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi,
Just sent the questionaire through. Not sure it is the belt touching things it shouldn't, there appears to be something loose on the front of the AC pulleys that vibrates and makes a rattling noise.. I heard the AC Compressors can be a problem, it seemed alright when I bought the car, it was a private sale, seen so many bad ones at garages. One dealer tried to tell me the reason why the front of the car had been sand blasted was because it was very fast and spent alot of time right up behind other cars... Then he said if I didn't wash it I wouldn't notice it. I am moving to Warwick next weekend to start a new job in the New Year, really looking forward to driving the MG.

kookiemg
04-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Sounds to me as if the clutch has been slipping and caused a lot of heat build-up, in turn melting the rubber grommets on the outside plate...which will now be just loosley held on and rattling around...

Maybe lucky enough that a new clutch is required...or a complete compressor...which is expensive!!!!

SH4RKY
05-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Have a look through this thread:

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=38389

Some usful info on there. Plus a link to a site selling refurbed compressors for about £100.

GeoffW
06-12-2007, 01:32 AM
Bearing in mind the problems which can occour with the compressor and clutch 'thingy'would it be beneficial to perodically remove unit say every 4 years, and check bearings & change oil ?

or do we just wait for the 'grinding, somethings about to seize noise' to happen :(