PDA

View Full Version : Which one

Jonathan Linley
12-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Can somebody please explain the difference between the early 260's and the facelift version. I do prefer the front end look of the earlier version but have been told the later ones are better (traction control etc)

Thanks Jon Linley

Tim
12-11-2007, 08:11 PM
The mk2 were not better as such but had a higher spec. You could put them in order of kit like this:

mk1 standard
mk2 standard
mk1 SE
mk2 SE

The mk2 had traction and cruise control, both options could have folding mirrors, rear blind. The non SE's could have a combination of anything basically, including the Apex wheels and monogram paints.

Aesthetically the facelift was the bumpers and front lights

Jonathan Linley
13-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks for that, now anything that a prospective new owner should look for.

Phil
15-11-2007, 09:33 AM
It depends on what you need, or will use.

For instance, you may not need to scour the land for a car with electric seat adjustment if you are going to be the only driver.

My car is listed in the DVLA database as an SE, but isn't. Or at least wasn't until I had it modified with sat nav, TV, alcantara/leather, walnut dash etc.

Another point is, if you buy a Mk2, you can replace the black grill with stainless steel (I am going to), which will make it look a little more like the Mk1. The Mk2s have superior sound insulation, but are slightly heavier. The SEs are heavier too. As for the traction control. All I will say is it is not popular, and you may be better without it. It is not a sophisticated system.

Regarding faults, there are no more than any other car, really, but there are a few things that should be checked.

1. The fuel filter in the tank can come apart. It should have an orange clip fitted.

2. The top heater hose has a 90 degree bend which can fail. We can supply a silicon replacement.

3. One or two have reported a slight leak from the diff. This is nothing to worry about if it is only a weep, but seals can be got from Dreadnought.

4. The aircon is not brilliant, but it should work. You should get cold air on the cold setting and hot air on the hot setting. Some don't do one or the other. Also, it should not make a noise, apart from the fan which should go into full-on mode when the aircon is switched on (check).

Check out this website:
http://www.spunagain.co.uk/ZT260page.html

PeteV6
15-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Can somebody please explain the difference between the early 260's and the facelift version. I do prefer the front end look of the earlier version but have been told the later ones are better (traction control etc)

Thanks Jon Linley

The facelifts have traffic master, which can be useful. Also the dials are blue backlit (think the pre-facelift is white/orange backlit?).....

SH4RKY
15-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Keith pointed out to me that MK2s dont rattle...

E.g., His MK1 V6 had interior rattles (coming mainly from the windows I think). The MK2 doesnt have any interior rattles.

Is this a series wide issue with all ZTs?

pessling
15-11-2007, 05:28 PM
not sure if that is really true, mines one of the late mk2s and has serveral that need investigating, when its not so cold i will be searching.

Tim
15-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Keith pointed out to me that MK2s dont rattle...

E.g., His MK1 V6 had interior rattles (coming mainly from the windows I think). The MK2 doesnt have any interior rattles.

Is this a series wide issue with all ZTs?

The 260 and the 190 before did not rattle however I do have one in the R75 drivers door which seems worse when its cold. So would say its a ZT/75 thing.

pessling
15-11-2007, 09:17 PM
i have a really annoying one behind the clocks/speedo, above 3.5k rpm it sounds like frying bacon, got to have a look, but it doesn't always do it which is annoying, strange.

WNJ516
15-11-2007, 11:12 PM
I had an 02 190 which rattled or creaked from the drivers window, my Mk2 260 has no rattles, and no problems,I really enjoy driving the car.
WNJ516

SH4RKY
15-11-2007, 11:54 PM
i have a really annoying one behind the clocks/speedo, above 3.5k rpm it sounds like frying bacon, got to have a look, but it doesn't always do it which is annoying, strange.

Thats an interesting comment... I think I have had a similar noise, but very rarely and only under full acceleration. The one time it happened as i accelerated through several gears.

As you say, behind the dash and a sort of sizzly noise... I thought it sounded like aerated liquid being sucked at high pressure through a pipe or something.

I thought Fuel line as it seemed to happen under heavy acceleration?? but surely that doesnt come into the cabin... odd.