PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leak - Interior

WelshPetrolhead
15-03-2024, 10:54 PM
Hi

Still waiting to receive the questionnaire for full access but in the meantime... I have noticed a strong smell of coolant in the cabin once the car is up to temperature. On investigation today (the car has not been used so cold) I have found evidence of a leak in the drivers foot well, next to the clutch pedal. I have attached an image..

It looks to me like the middle hose isn't properly seated or is this wishful thinking? I am aware that there is a 3 way valve above this just out of shot, but that part appears to be unobtainable. I've only had a quick look so far as it started to rain quite heavily, hoping to get a dry day this weekend.

If it is the valve, how would I approach this going forward? I only bought the car a week ago (privately, and I don't recall smelling coolant on the test drive)

Thanks in advance,

Ben

David
16-03-2024, 09:24 AM
Hi

Still waiting to receive the questionnaire for full access but in the meantime... I have noticed a strong smell of coolant in the cabin once the car is up to temperature. On investigation today (the car has not been used so cold) I have found evidence of a leak in the drivers foot well, next to the clutch pedal. I have attached an image..

It looks to me like the middle hose isn't properly seated or is this wishful thinking? I am aware that there is a 3 way valve above this just out of shot, but that part appears to be unobtainable. I've only had a quick look so far as it started to rain quite heavily, hoping to get a dry day this weekend.

If it is the valve, how would I approach this going forward? I only bought the car a week ago (privately, and I don't recall smelling coolant on the test drive)

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Yes that is the 3-hose, 2-way balance valve, or a hose to it. They were available exchange from Austin Garages a little while back for around £200 (admin@austingarages.co.uk). Unsure if they still have one. Drop them an email. Specify balance valve and RHD ZT260 (Rovers are 4-hose, and LHD are different).
Alternative is DMGRS. Make sure you specify the balance valve under the dash NOT the plenum valve. Again unsure about the valve being a direct fit. Someone here modified a valve to work though, and I'll try and sort out the reference later today. Busy now with a gutted interior fixing a sunroof rain-water leakage, and need this single dry day!

David

Pete
16-03-2024, 09:39 AM
Ben

As you observe the middle hose clip looks like it's too far away from the joint. Maybe sitting on the bulbous annulas. Maybe refitted by PO. 3 Way valve in club shop. Info on here. This is one Heater leaking problems - Page 2 (two-sixties.co.uk) (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?18301-Heater-leaking-problems/page2&highlight=adapt)

https://d2j6dbq0eux0bg.cloudfront.net/images/1271318/41555471.jpg

David
16-03-2024, 10:07 AM
Ben

As you observe the middle hose clip looks like it's too far away from the joint. Maybe sitting on the bulbous annulas. Maybe refitted by PO. 3 Way valve in club shop. Info on here. This is one Heater leaking problems - Page 2 (two-sixties.co.uk) (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?18301-Heater-leaking-problems/page2&highlight=adapt)

Yes that's the post I was referring to from jeffturbo. The vlave he used is from DMGRS sold normally as a plenum valve and modified. Extensive description on "how to" in the thread, but Ben has no access to it yet! If its not just a misplaced hose, best to contact Austin Garages and/or DMGRS right away.

Any way to 'fast-track' full membership for him Tim, Nich ?

David

Nich
16-03-2024, 10:51 AM

Any way to 'fast-track' full membership for him Tim, Nich ?

David

Done.

Nich.

WelshPetrolhead
16-03-2024, 02:28 PM
Thanks Guys for your help so far. Nich, I've had the questionnaire and sent it back to Tim. I'm just waiting on my MGOC number as I've done that today too.

Luckily it was a dry morning so I got out, removed the panel under the steering wheel to get a better look. I mopped up what I could get to with some tissue to dry it. Tried jiggling that hose inwards but its going nowhere...Is it just a case of pinching the clip to loosen, push hose on more and release the clip?? I'm wary of disturbing anything at the moment.

Took the car out for a run to get it up to temperature, started to get a whiff of coolant. I then changed the settings on the climate (which was set to auto), up to 23 degrees, and the dashboard/face vents. Interestingly the coolant smell faded. Got the car back on the drive, left it running and got into the footwell to have a look and its the same as after I cleaned it up. I will check the car later once it is fully cold, to see if there is any change to the footwell area but also check the coolant level.

As a side note, the car has the DMGRS plenum valve fitted, I have an invoice for both the part itself, and another for fitting it, and even the old part in a box... The car came with a box of bits and I have what I assume is the club 3 way valve (The box it was in has Tim's name and address on it!) The actuator on top has a Bosch VW/Audi label. I thought that this was a spare for the plenum valve or an upgrade over the DMGRS one. I will check out the thread above, but could this be used for the interior valve?

I've taken a few pics of the area, the valve doesn't look terrible from what I can see, so perhaps its a minor weep. The new assumed club valve is in pic 5

David
16-03-2024, 02:58 PM
Thanks Guys for your help so far. Nich, I've had the questionnaire and sent it back to Tim. I'm just waiting on my MGOC number as I've done that today too.
I see your name is already showing Green, meaning you now have full member access status.

Luckily it was a dry morning so I got out, removed the panel under the steering wheel to get a better look. I mopped up what I could get to with some tissue to dry it. Tried jiggling that hose inwards but its going nowhere...Is it just a case of pinching the clip to loosen, push hose on more and release the clip?? I'm wary of disturbing anything at the moment.
Understand your reluctance, but yes

Took the car out for a run to get it up to temperature, started to get a whiff of coolant. I then changed the settings on the climate (which was set to auto), up to 23 degrees, and the dashboard/face vents. Interestingly the coolant smell faded. Got the car back on the drive, left it running and got into the footwell to have a look and its the same as after I cleaned it up. I will check the car later once it is fully cold, to see if there is any change to the footwell area but also check the coolant level. That figures. The balance valve probably works then

As a side note, the car has the DMGRS plenum valve fitted, I have an invoice for both the part itself, and another for fitting it, and even the old part in a box... The car came with a box of bits and I have what I assume is the club 3 way valve (The box it was in has Tim's name and address on it!) The actuator on top has a Bosch VW/Audi label. I thought that this was a spare for the plenum valve or an upgrade over the DMGRS one. I will check out the thread above, but could this be used for the interior valve?

I've taken a few pics of the area, the valve doesn't look terrible from what I can see, so perhaps its a minor weep. The new assumed club valve is in pic 5 I found this thread from the last owner, but is not really clear what has been done:
https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?19354-Heater-Valve
If it transpires that the problem looks like more than a leaking hose joint, try and call Dom to ask which, if not both, of the valves have indeed been changed, and how. I'm assuming that the Two-Sixties valve has been fitted, or waiting to be fitted, as intended in the plenum (main Hot/Cold valve) and the other DMGRS one is the one now leaking, modified and operating as a replacement Balance valve.

David

WelshPetrolhead
16-03-2024, 05:23 PM
Thanks David!

I contacted Dom who clarified that the foot well balance valve was replaced with the DMGRS plenum item, that was done in January 2021. The club valve is waiting to go into the plenum.

It's raining now, so will have another investigate when its dry, and see if I can tend to the suspect hose. Will also check the condition of the plenum valve.

Ben

David
16-03-2024, 05:27 PM
Thanks David!

I contacted Dom who clarified that the foot well balance valve was replaced with the DMGRS plenum item, that was done in January 2021. The club valve is waiting to go into the plenum.

It's raining now, so will have another investigate when its dry, and see if I can tend to the suspect hose. Will also check the condition of the plenum valve.

Ben That's positive. Could still be a leaky balance valve of course, but probably just the hose connection. Usure about the expected lifespan of the DMGR units. If the heating and airco appears to be behaving, I would leave the plenum valve switch, at least for now. They are good, but can be tricky to set up.

Davi

WelshPetrolhead
16-03-2024, 05:34 PM
That's positive. Could still be a leaky balance valve of course, but probably just the hose connection. Usure about the expected lifespan of the DMGR units. If the heating and airco appears to be behaving, I would leave the plenum valve switch, at least for now. They are good, but can be tricky to set up.

Davi

Yeah the heating/aircon appears to be functioning okay. It's just the coolant smell. Will look at the hoses ASAP and then go from there.

Ben

jeff turbo
17-03-2024, 10:37 AM
I had to remove the complete dash as my heater was leaking and that valve, also had to remove the carpet as you may have to do to get rid of the coolant in it and this thread near the end also confirms Dom fitted the DMGRS valve https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?18301-Heater-leaking-problems&highlight=heater

WelshPetrolhead
17-03-2024, 11:08 AM
I had to remove the complete dash as my heater was leaking and that valve, also had to remove the carpet as you may have to do to get rid of the coolant in it and this thread near the end also confirms Dom fitted the DMGRS valve https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?18301-Heater-leaking-problems&highlight=heater

Thanks Jeff. Yeah I read through that thread yesterday afternoon once I had access and noticed Dom's posts at the end. Looks like this has the potential to be quite a large job.

David
17-03-2024, 11:20 AM
Thanks Jeff. Yeah I read through that thread yesterday afternoon once I had access and noticed Dom's posts at the end. Looks like this has the potential to be quite a large job. Well if its just one of the hoses probably not, depending on which and access to the offending clip. If it is a balance valve swap, it can (just) be fitted without getting the dash out, but easier if you do I think. In any event a seat out job to let you lie down in the RH footwell anyway! I managed to change one of my hoses in that way. It had been partly chaffed through by the accelerator pedal tail end (LHD car, so next to the tunnel roughly at the valve location)

David

jeff turbo
17-03-2024, 11:31 AM
Thanks Jeff. Yeah I read through that thread yesterday afternoon once I had access and noticed Dom's posts at the end. Looks like this has the potential to be quite a large job.
Not really all depends where it's leaking from, as David points out it can be removed without the dash being removed. Have a look proper at it to find out how you can do it as it's not in a great place, you may have to remove the pedal box to get it out but I'm not sure about that part as I removed the dash as the heater pipe itself was also leaking so I did whole thing in one. Have you identified where it's leaking from? A pipe, connection, the valve or something else?

WelshPetrolhead
17-03-2024, 11:45 AM
At the moment Jeff, I think it could be leaking either from the hose into the heater (post 6, pic 1), or the hose attached to the bottom of the valve (pic 2/4). It could be the valve itself but the surrounding area and mounting plate is clean and the only evidence of a leak is on the hoses themselves.

I do need to check the coolant level as I had to top it up, and if I'm losing a significant amount then coolant is also leaving the system somewhere else. Unfortunately the weather is a pain in the ass at the moment!! This car isn't my daily so it's not crucial to my day to day needs.

I'm more of a bodywork/trim kinda guy than a spanner man, although have done basic jobs in the past (brakes etc) with success, hence my hesitance doing some things myself!!

jeff turbo
17-03-2024, 11:53 AM
At the moment Jeff, I think it could be leaking either from the hose into the heater (post 6, pic 1), or the hose attached to the bottom of the valve (pic 2/4). It could be the valve itself but the surrounding area and mounting plate is clean and the only evidence of a leak is on the hoses themselves.

I do need to check the coolant level as I had to top it up, and if I'm losing a significant amount then coolant is also leaving the system somewhere else. Unfortunately the weather is a pain in the ass at the moment!! This car isn't my daily so it's not crucial to my day to day needs.

I'm more of a bodywork/trim kinda guy than a spanner man, although have done basic jobs in the past (brakes etc) with success, hence my hesitance doing some things myself!!
Before you remove anything can you get a bit of paper or something round where you think the leak is so it stains it and you'll then be sure? I'm self taught and would give anything a go, if I mess it up I would then send it up to Chris at Retro so nothing to lose. If you're not sure get him to fix the leak

WelshPetrolhead
17-03-2024, 12:04 PM
Before you remove anything can you get a bit of paper or something round where you think the leak is so it stains it and you'll then be sure? I'm self taught and would give anything a go, if I mess it up I would then send it up to Chris at Retro so nothing to lose. If you're not sure get him to fix the leak

That's a good shout Jeff. I already have the dash panel below the steering wheel off so I can keep an eye on it. Chris is a bit more of a trek from me but an option. My closest garage would be Austin Garages at about 50 miles away who I was planning to use for some servicing.

jeff turbo
17-03-2024, 12:06 PM
That's a good shout Jeff. I already have the dash panel below the steering wheel off so I can keep an eye on it. Chris is a bit more of a trek from me but an option. My closest garage would be Austin Garages at about 50 miles away who I was planning to use for some servicing.

Yeah they can also fix your leak very easily but try to find it first as that's the easy part

WelshPetrolhead
17-03-2024, 04:27 PM
Well, had another look this afternoon. There was a fresh drip on the hoses but the valve still looks fine to me. I'm more and more convinced that its a hose/connection issue rather than the valve itself. I did try to get to the clips to try and seat the hoses better but with the pedals in the way and some of the clips facing the bulkhead I just can't get any purchase on them.

The good news is all the fluids in the engine bay are good. Coolant still at max, and I did 30odd miles in it yesterday. I have in the meantime put some pieces of sponge around the hoses to absorb the weeping and will keep a regular eye on it. Will look to get it booked into Austins at some point to get it looked at, order another DMGRS valve as a backup and may as well get the plenum valve fitted then too seeing as I have one ready to go.

Pete
17-03-2024, 04:28 PM
Talc powder is good for tracing leaks.

jeff turbo
17-03-2024, 06:38 PM
Well, had another look this afternoon. There was a fresh drip on the hoses but the valve still looks fine to me. I'm more and more convinced that its a hose/connection issue rather than the valve itself. I did try to get to the clips to try and seat the hoses better but with the pedals in the way and some of the clips facing the bulkhead I just can't get any purchase on them.

The good news is all the fluids in the engine bay are good. Coolant still at max, and I did 30odd miles in it yesterday. I have in the meantime put some pieces of sponge around the hoses to absorb the weeping and will keep a regular eye on it. Will look to get it booked into Austins at some point to get it looked at, order another DMGRS valve as a backup and may as well get the plenum valve fitted then too seeing as I have one ready to go.
It maybe that the olives on the valve were not soldered properly as mine were not , I had to resolder the olives to make it sound so it wouldn't leak past them.

RattyB
10-04-2024, 12:08 PM
I did send my old four way Rover balance valve back to Nick for refurb when I bought a new one from him - so if anyone needs the footwell valve for the Rover, he should have one in the pipeline.

David
10-04-2024, 01:21 PM
I did send my old four way Rover balance valve back to Nick for refurb when I bought a new one from him - so if anyone needs the footwell valve for the Rover, he should have one in the pipeline.
Good man.
Recognise it?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196173273917?itmmeta=01HV3Z5009068Y71K1Y9NSP8PH&hash=item2dacd69b3d:g:p~8AAOSwtP9lmVWF

Daavid