PDA

View Full Version : ZT-T at Auction, Mathewsons 20/03/2024

jeff turbo
08-03-2024, 07:39 PM
** Thread from 'New listing in 'Cars for Sale' (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?17939-New-listing-in-Cars-for-Sale) moved here to keep the New Listings just that. **
#278 at auction, 20/03/2024

At auction, announced today, a Pearl Black ZT-T 260. Tatty and noisy engine. (Mathewsons). Feeling brave? MOT history not bad.

To go directly to the 'Complete List' entry, click here:
https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?13272-Complete-List-of-260s-FOR-SALE&p=202563#post202563

If I was after another project I'd give that a go. Engine strip is quite easy if it's the bearings once removed. If it isn't the bearings then even easier

SCP440
08-03-2024, 10:53 PM
It will be interesting to see what it goes for, at the lower price you could put an engine in it for ease.
On the downside it is scruffy, I wonder if cheap it would be worth buying to break to keep some others on the road. Survival of the fittest,

jeff turbo
09-03-2024, 07:02 AM
It will be interesting to see what it goes for, at the lower price you could put an engine in it for ease.
On the downside it is scruffy, I wonder if cheap it would be worth buying to break to keep some others on the road. Survival of the fittest,
Obviously not looked after and possibly used as a normal everyday car. According to the MOT is was low on oil so must have run out. Scruffy means used in my opinion, might be a money pit, might not. As you say worse case for the engine is buy the one on eBay and put that in it . Not knowing the condition of the underside and rear subframe could put a damper on it. As said though, if I wanted it I would go view it but wouldn't break it

David
09-03-2024, 09:05 AM
Obviously not looked after and possibly used as a normal everyday car. According to the MOT is was low on oil so must have run out. Scruffy means used in my opinion, might be a money pit, might not. As you say worse case for the engine is buy the one on eBay and put that in it . Not knowing the condition of the underside and rear subframe could put a damper on it. As said though, if I wanted it I would go view it but wouldn't break itNo subframe or suspension rot mentioned on any of the MOTs.

... possibly used as a normal everyday car...

Not necessarily a bad thing in itself. My Olive now at 360k kms on that 'diet' since 2005! Probably better than winter lay-ups for example? Agree about the "fix, not break". Could be that "Do not fix, do not break" could be more viable!

jeff turbo
09-03-2024, 11:53 AM
No subframe or suspension rot mentioned on any of the MOTs.

Not necessarily a bad thing in itself. My Olive now at 360k kms on that 'diet' since 2005! Probably better than winter lay-ups for example? Agree about the "fix, not break". Could be that "Do not fix, do not break" could be more viable!
Maybe so as the owner used the tyres till they were bald. One tyre needed, brake discs also needed all round could also be an issue, fronts are easy but rears are not cheap. If someone is DIYing the car I would say you could spend a couple of thousand on it to get it road worthy. Clutch 'should' be ok at 40,000 but you never know no, to replace the clutch and cylinder is abought £500 would all depend on what other damage has been done to the engine when it ran out of oil and of course that's a removal and strip down, if DIYing that costs nothing Maybe lucky with crank grind, replacement over size shells and head gasket set, unluckily the bores would also need doing.
After reading the book I bought off Nich on rebuilding a Mustang V8 engine I must say I am tempted with this car just to see if I could do it but I don't want another project and this is one. Head gasket and timing chains I found out are extremely easy on a V8 so an 'added extra' would be the crank etc
I've had a long look at the pictures of it and the bodywork is mostly just dirty so could be a bargain
MOT history is a bit hit and miss. In 6 years three tyres got worn out in 7 miles, can't see how that would happen
When I took on 277 there was much more to do than i anticipated though.

David
09-03-2024, 12:16 PM
Maybe so as the owner used the tyres till they were bald. One tyre needed, brake discs also needed all round could also be an issue, fronts are easy but rears are not cheap. If someone is DIYing the car I would say you could spend a couple of thousand on it to get it road worthy. Clutch 'should' be ok at 40,000 but you never know no, to replace the clutch and cylinder is abought £500 would all depend on what other damage has been done to the engine when it ran out of oil and of course that's a removal and strip down, if DIYing that costs nothing Maybe lucky with crank grind, replacement over size shells and head gasket set, unluckily the bores would also need doing.
After reading the book I bought off Nich on rebuilding a Mustang V8 engine I must say I am tempted with this car just to see if I could do it but I don't want another project and this is one. Head gasket and timing chains I found out are extremely easy on a V8 so an 'added extra' would be the crank etc
I've had a long look at the pictures of it and the bodywork is mostly just dirty so could be a bargain
MOT history is a bit hit and miss. In 6 years three tyres got worn out in 7 miles, can't see how that would happen
When I took on 277 there was much more to do than i anticipated though.That's the problem. If you are looking at a fix up with an eye on making a profit, then I think you would be hard pushed. Fix up for yourself, well you could maybe convince yourself that at least some of the work and investment was a "labour of love", but then you could choose a better starting point I feel.

David

jeff turbo
09-03-2024, 12:29 PM
That's the problem. If you are looking at a fix up with an eye on making a profit, then I think you would be hard pushed. Fix up for yourself, well you could maybe convince yourself that at least some of the work and investment was a "labour of love", but then you could choose a better starting point I feel.

David
Yeah did that with 277, was going to keep it as I spend a lot of time and effort on it but my Mrs said it was too big for her, though she is using my 260 at the moment as my youngest has borrowed her car for a few weeks.

SCP440
09-03-2024, 02:23 PM
Not only is the engine a problem but it looks like the AC has been bypassed, is that because of a faulty compressor or maybe more? Also why is the door card off in the rear?
As far as it running low on oil I have been there before with other engines, rarely is it just a crank and bearings, on one I was helping out with it needed a cam and bearings and there was damage to a couple of bores. In the end we fitted another engine that we picked up out a crashed car for less than the cost of the parts to do the other one up let alone the machining etc etc.
As a dooer up er it needs to be at the bottom of its guestimate if there is going to be a profit in it.
Like any of these projects even if you are doing it your self you need to be charging out the work at a reasonable rate or you are doing it for nothing. If you do 40 hours on it and you make £500 you might as well have stacked shelves in Sainsburys and had no risk.
I go back to what I said earlier if cheap enough it might be worth breaking, a pair of drive shafts, a couple of subframes and an ABS unit and you have got your money back.
Such a difficult call on this, it would be good to see it done up but I suspect being Mathewsons it will sell to a daydreamer for twice what its worh and be on Ebay in 6 months with a bodged up engine and a polish.

jeff turbo
10-03-2024, 09:27 AM
Not only is the engine a problem but it looks like the AC has been bypassed, is that because of a faulty compressor or maybe more? Also why is the door card off in the rear?
As far as it running low on oil I have been there before with other engines, rarely is it just a crank and bearings, on one I was helping out with it needed a cam and bearings and there was damage to a couple of bores. In the end we fitted another engine that we picked up out a crashed car for less than the cost of the parts to do the other one up let alone the machining etc etc.
As a dooer up er it needs to be at the bottom of its guestimate if there is going to be a profit in it.
Like any of these projects even if you are doing it your self you need to be charging out the work at a reasonable rate or you are doing it for nothing. If you do 40 hours on it and you make £500 you might as well have stacked shelves in Sainsburys and had no risk.
I go back to what I said earlier if cheap enough it might be worth breaking, a pair of drive shafts, a couple of subframes and an ABS unit and you have got your money back.
Such a difficult call on this, it would be good to see it done up but I suspect being Mathewsons it will sell to a daydreamer for twice what its worh and be on Ebay in 6 months with a bodged up engine and a polish.
Yeah true, forgot about the air con, I'm not buying it any way though. I bought 277 as an experiment to find out what I could do with removing the rear subframe and other things I hadn't done before, taught myself quite a bit on that.
Breaking the car would bring a few thousand back on the purchase price, all running gear except engine, subframe, diff, driveshafts, ABS, exhaust, door panels etc etc. After all that you could then strip down the engine and find out what's needed and what's knackered, there again that's a lot of time and effort with the parts and dealing with many time wasters and guys who will have a go at you for breaking it. Not that I care much about that

T16
10-03-2024, 11:54 PM
I cant figure out what would cause a knock as horrifically bad as that, that then disappears or seems to disappear in short order.
Maybe a knackered bearing shell that is then pacified by oil pressure?

jeff turbo
11-03-2024, 05:41 PM
I cant figure out what would cause a knock as horrifically bad as that, that then disappears or seems to disappear in short order.
Maybe a knackered bearing shell that is then pacified by oil pressure?

Well the engine has been reduced on eBay , if the car can be bought for under 1500 it's worth putting the replacement in if someone can get that for under 2000, so silly me I've registered to bid and put one on the ztt.

SCP440
12-03-2024, 11:16 AM
Well the engine has been reduced on eBay , if the car can be bought for under 1500 it's worth putting the replacement in if someone can get that for under 2000, so silly me I've registered to bid and put one on the ztt.

Yes I noticed that, its tempting but I have too many projects on at the moment but good luck Jeff. It will be good to see it back in the road and done properly not bodged up to make a quick £.
If you are going to flip it there should be a reasonable profit in it as long as nothing else bites you. Hopefully the A/C just needs a compressor and they are cheap enough from Rock Auto.

jeff turbo
12-03-2024, 12:03 PM
Yes I noticed that, its tempting but I have too many projects on at the moment but good luck Jeff. It will be good to see it back in the road and done properly not bodged up to make a quick £.
If you are going to flip it there should be a reasonable profit in it as long as nothing else bites you. Hopefully the A/C just needs a compressor and they are cheap enough from Rock Auto.
Engine comes with the air con compressor according to the listing so that may not be a problem. I have no projects on the go now except my sons 2 x MG Montego's. His Turbo engine I've rebuilt and an now sorting a rusty panel just under the windscreen, after that a small bit of welding and hopefully an MOT sometime soon, then his other MG project that I've failed to get running so far, that needs quite a lot

David
12-03-2024, 12:25 PM
Engine comes with the air con compressor according to the listing so that may not be a problem...A/C pump bypassed for a reason, I assume. I would budget the extra £400-ish for compressor/condensor/belt/fit and system re-charge when thinking about your max bid for the car, Jeff, whether it's DMGRS or stateside for the compressor.

David

jeff turbo
12-03-2024, 02:49 PM
A/C pump bypassed for a reason, I assume. I would budget the extra £400-ish for compressor/condensor/belt/fit and system re-charge when thinking about your max bid for the car, Jeff, whether it's DMGRS or stateside for the compressor.

David

If I do get this ztt and the replacement engine that's got an air con compressor on it David. Plenty of time for someone else to buy it yet. My bid is rather low anyway as it'll need quite a bit of work from the looks of it .

SCP440
12-03-2024, 03:50 PM
Having seen other cars described by them as just needing a polish I reckon it might need some paint. I know there job is to sell a car and of course the more it gets the bigger there commission but I will say buyer beware. One a Jensen that was sold by them it was supposedly just dusty but on closer inspection it was covered in micro blistering. I just wish they were a bit more honest. If closer I would have a day out and go and have a look and store it away for when I am less busy but its over 4.5 hours each way for me.

Pete
20-03-2024, 03:07 PM
Went for £5500.

David
20-03-2024, 03:12 PM
£5,500 + Fees and VAT of course.
Somebody didn't watch the video, I assume.

David

SCP440
20-03-2024, 05:00 PM
Yes I saw that, crazy money for a broken car. By the time that has been transported and the fees have been paid he probably could have bought one ready to drive in poor condition. Even if he has an engine ready to drop in it there is still a couple of days work there with a 4 post lift. At the bottom estimate it was probably worth a punt but I wonder how long that is before it is back for sale.

jeff turbo
20-03-2024, 05:07 PM
Yeah mad price, I bid £1400 so no chance

David
20-03-2024, 05:17 PM
Yes I saw that, crazy money for a broken car. By the time that has been transported and the fees have been paid he probably could have bought one ready to drive in poor condition. Even if he has an engine ready to drop in it there is still a couple of days work there with a 4 post lift. At the bottom estimate it was probably worth a punt but I wonder how long that is before it is back for sale. Look out on Copart for a strange insurance write-off ...

David

trikey
20-03-2024, 08:25 PM
£5,500 + Fees and VAT of course.
Somebody didn't watch the video, I assume.

David

Never assume David, I watched the video of the engine noise and had a friend who was local check the car over for me.

Yes it made strong money but it should be repairable fairy easily, transport won?t be an issue as I have a car trailer, the underneath is in very good order which as you all know is a bonus.

This will be my 4th 260 and I doubt it will need the amount of work that 045 did when I bought that one.

SCP440
20-03-2024, 09:30 PM
Good luck and I hope it works out for you,

jeff turbo
21-03-2024, 05:46 AM
Never assume David, I watched the video of the engine noise and had a friend who was local check the car over for me.

Yes it made strong money but it should be repairable fairy easily, transport won?t be an issue as I have a car trailer, the underneath is in very good order which as you all know is a bonus.

This will be my 4th 260 and I doubt it will need the amount of work that 045 did when I bought that one.

I'm sure you'll sort that easy enough trikey. Will look forward to the finished car and what was the issue with the knocking

JJay
21-03-2024, 11:05 AM

Good luck with the project sounds like you have a good base to start with and the expertise to put it right. Big plus is being able to do the work yourself.
From your picture would i be correct in thinking that you once owned number 019 the Biomorphic green ztt? I often wondered where it is now? Does it still exist?

Nich
21-03-2024, 01:14 PM

Back to luxurious greenness now.

Nich.

trikey
21-03-2024, 06:53 PM
Good luck with the project sounds like you have a good base to start with and the expertise to put it right. Big plus is being able to do the work yourself.
From your picture would i be correct in thinking that you once owned number 019 the Biomorphic green ztt? I often wondered where it is now? Does it still exist?

kermit new resides with a lad called Dean in Yorkshire, he has quite a collection of biomorphic green MGs

trikey
21-03-2024, 06:53 PM
Back to luxurious greenness now.

Nich.

thanks Nich.

JJay
22-03-2024, 12:05 AM
kermit new resides with a lad called Dean in Yorkshire, he has quite a collection of biomorphic green MGs
Thanks, its good to know it still exists.