PDA

View Full Version : Abs ecu

Geoff G
06-07-2023, 09:32 AM
Hi All

I have a faulty ABS modulator/ECU,can this be removed with out touching the hydraulic side of the ABS unit.

Cheers Geoff Gibson

Ryszard
06-07-2023, 11:33 AM
Hi,yes it can,had to remove mine last year for testing and repair.Its held on by six small star shaped long bolts think they are called torx.Bottom four are a bit fiddly to get to.May need to remove a couple of brackets surrounding the assembly before hand.Make sure the bolt sockets are good quality and fit as they can round off the bolts if tight/rusty.Regards Ryszard..

David
06-07-2023, 12:01 PM
...Make sure the bolt sockets are good quality and fit as they can round off the bolts if tight/rusty...
Yep. Torx T-20.
As 'Ryszard' says, use a quality Torx bit dead straight on the bolt head, Geoff. The star recess is very shallow, about 2mm I think, so clean them well to ensure a good seat for the socket end.

David

Geoff G
07-07-2023, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the information,so where is the best place to send it to get checked/repaired

Geoff

jeff turbo
07-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the information,so where is the best place to send it to get checked/repaired

Geoff
Geoff, you need to send it to these guys. I've used them twice now and a good service each time
https://www.ecutesting.com/product-catalogue/rover/75/abs-pump-ecumodule-combined/amc900047-a/

Ryszard
08-07-2023, 12:01 AM
Geoff, you need to send it to these guys. I've used them twice now and a good service each time
https://www.ecutesting.com/product-catalogue/rover/75/abs-pump-ecumodule-combined/amc900047-a/
Hi,as recommended by Jeff,I too had mine checked/repaired by these.Good fast service and they keep you informed on progress.Regards Ry...

Geoff G
18-07-2023, 01:34 PM
Well Ive just had a call from ECU testing saying the module is not repairable,does anybody know where I can get one.
Cheers

jeff turbo
18-07-2023, 03:35 PM
You could try tom force tuning in Leominster I think. From memory he has in past reprogrammed a fwd abs module to a v8. I maybe wrong but from memory I read that somewhere. A phone call to him costs nothing to find out

Geoff G
20-07-2023, 04:58 PM
After another frustrating day searching the internet and reading mails on this site Im no further forward. The module is a Bosch 0265 900 047, I tried to contact Bosch UK but they will not talk to me as Im not a dealer,there are no modules showing on the net either. I looked at the Leominster tuning site where he had fitted a rover 75 module but the information Ive read on here seems to think it will not work properly and the owner gets pretty slated by some people. ECU testing say I can only fit an original part but cant tell me where to get one.So its looking like disabling the ABS some how.

Cheers

Pete
21-07-2023, 04:25 PM
Geoff these claim to remanufacture the assembly. Product information - ACTRONICS LTD (https://www.actronics.co.uk/order/product)

David
22-07-2023, 09:02 AM
Geoff these claim to remanufacture the assembly. Product information - ACTRONICS LTD (https://www.actronics.co.uk/order/product)
If that is possible, I wonder if a small volume production could help with the price?
The investment may be too great, but perhaps a small stock, say 5, would be a viable number for the Two-Sixties to think about, like the shock absorber initiatives over the years?

Perhaps too little information as yet; they may not even be in a position to produce them, and there is no price indication, let alone the possibility of any significant "volume" discount, but just floating the idea.

David

Geoff G
24-07-2023, 04:29 PM
I contacted ACtronics and they do not manufacture these units and the repairs they do are similar to other companies,so at the minute Im still looking for a solution,I am waiting for a report from ECU testing to tell me what was wrong with the unit I sent

SCP440
24-07-2023, 05:59 PM
I know its not a fix but at least you can get an MOT on it if you use one of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284391834757?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=Cj0KCQjwwvilBhCFARIsADvYi7KXhlb9nV0zJt1v-xHuOqs4wDxDTRjU1KKMR4ah9vczPEbUxz2H7egaAgm4EALw_wc B
ECU repair and a lot of these companies know the common problem with BOSCH ABS Ecu's is dry soldered joints and cracked solder, once they have a go at doing this they rarely try anything else.
I had the same problem on a Saab a few years ago.

Geoff G
25-07-2023, 03:59 PM
I have been in touch with Tom Force at force tuning,he reckons he can change the complete pump,rewire,and alter brake pipes for £450 plus vat,If iI cant find somebody closer to where I live I'll have to bite the bullet and get the car transported to his place

jeff turbo
26-07-2023, 09:11 AM
I have been in touch with Tom Force at force tuning,he reckons he can change the complete pump,rewire,and alter brake pipes for £450 plus vat,If iI cant find somebody closer to where I live I'll have to bite the bullet and get the car transported to his place

I did read that he can do this but Chris at retro said it can't be done. But it has been done so it's your decision. Tom does have a good reputation but it's your car so you must make the decision.

David
26-07-2023, 12:46 PM
I suppose you have to take his word for it that it all works as it should (or not).
Bit of a leap of faith. As far as I know, you can't really properly test it easily, only perhaps an indication that something is happening on lockup. The diagonal X and front-rear H design differences, between FWD and RWD designs worry me.

You could ask Tom for some proof that it actually works as it should for almost 550 quid I would think!

En passant,
... I am waiting for a report from ECU testing to tell me what was wrong with the unit I sent... did you ever get that report, Geoff?

David

jeff turbo
18-08-2023, 11:39 AM
Did you manage to fix your issue Geoff?

Geoff G
27-11-2023, 08:49 AM
Well Ive had the unit repaired by a company carelectronics87@gmail.com,it was a cracked pin on the plug socket .Its been back on the car for a month now and all seems OK.Im surprised at these bigger companys who claim to remanufacture the units wouldnt attempt a repair.It did take 7 weeks from despatch to return so not the speediest.

Cheers Geoff

Pete
27-11-2023, 09:43 AM
Is this the company Geoff. If so it could be listed as potential repairer. Car electronics UK ECU | eBay Stores (https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/carelectronicsukecu)

SCP440
27-11-2023, 05:44 PM
10 years ago I had a Saab 9-5 Aero with a faulty ABS unit, I sent it off to ECU repair and they sent it back saying it was unrepairable. When I rung they told me all they can do is resolder joints in the unit as they have no components to replace anything and would have charged £200.
From what I gather most of the time cracked solder is usually the problem.

Geoff G
28-11-2023, 04:49 PM
Yes thats the company.Car Electronics UK,Ash Parker is the guy I dealt with
Geoff G