PDA

View Full Version : Highline Instrument Cluster Wanted

steve00136
17-08-2022, 09:15 AM
Any highline instrument cluster (with trip computer)
wanted (ZT or 75, petrol or diesel, auto or manual, mph or kph) but with the built in parking buzzer as per later models.
Preferably ZT, petrol, mph and manual with a good lcd screen.
Ideally for the V8 part no YAC003940LNF if any about.
Many thanks
Steve

David
17-08-2022, 09:30 AM
Any highline instrument cluster (with trip computer)
wanted (ZT or 75, petrol or diesel, auto or manual) but with the built in parking buzzer as per later models.
Preferably ZT, petrol and manual with a good lcd screen.
Ideally for the V8 part no YAC003940LNF if any about.
Many thanks
Steve

Don't forget to say MPH, otherwise you could end up with a LHD/KPH one. if you do, and its a real KPH V8 one, I'll have it!
I know you can dis-assemble to change the dials and so on, but not ideal I imagine.

Unless I'm mistaken, YAC003940LNF which you mention is for the earlier High line MPH cars, and YAC003960LNF for the earlier Low line MPH?
(up to and including #218). Could be wrong, of course!

For anyone interested, this is a list I have for the different late V8 types:

YAC005090LNF - MPH - High line 2004- V8
YAC005110LNF - MPH - Low line 2004- V8
YAC005100LNF - KMH - High line 2004- V8
YAC005120LNF - KMH - Low line 2004- V8

YAC004290LNF - MPH - High line Automatic V8
YAC004310LNF - MPH - Low Line Automatic V8
YAC004300LNF - KMH - High line Automatic V8
YAC004320LNF - KMH - Low Line Automatic V8

This tallies with Nich's posting in Index>INSTRUMENTS>Part Numbers>Instrument Cluster Part Numbers

David

steve00136
17-08-2022, 01:33 PM
Thanks David. I've updated my post. Yes ideally I am after the early pre 2004 (for my #038) cluster.
Unless I can get the exact cluster any highline (inc non V8) can be used by transplanting my eprom, dials, backlights etc - if my information is correct.
Thanks
Steve

David
17-08-2022, 02:11 PM
Thanks David. I've updated my post. Yes ideally I am after the early pre 2004 (for my #038) cluster.
Unless I can get the exact cluster any highline (inc non V8) can be used by transplanting my eprom, dials, backlights etc - if my information is correct.
Thanks
Steve
OK now I get it. So that is probably an early one, in the V8 sense (in any case 260 MK1, so < 17/02/2004), but late in the general ZT/R75 FWD sense to get the built-in buzzer and so on. I am unclear as to why a Mk2 V8 Hi-line is sufficiently different to your Mk1 #038 to be less than your ideal though.

David

steve00136
17-08-2022, 04:06 PM
Hi David I think the mk1 v8s like mine have white backlights later think blue. Other than that not sure ..... must be a reason to have different part nos mk1 to mk2.
I'd be happy to find a mk2 ... just have to swop eprom and backlights.
Steve
Steve

David
18-08-2022, 10:23 AM
Oddly enough the only new V8 ones with trip that XPart or Rimmer's appear to have available any more is YAC004300LNF, coincidentally the very one I would need (LHD, KPH, Rover), if mine ever failed. At £618 (sale price) or £996 respectively, I think I will pass on buying it for my "just-in-case" stock shelf! XPart wrongly list it as MPH (photo confirms KPH), which is probably why they haven't managed to sell it for one of the 32 cars made that would need it.

... so good to know that with a "donor" new or used unit of a different type, and a soldering iron, the correct configuration can be created.
Thanks to you, 'scoubix' and 'X13#18' for investigating and clarifying that.

David

Nich
21-08-2022, 05:33 PM
For some reason I have;

YAC001111N and
YAC003850

here. I cannot work out why I have them unless I was collecting for spares a few years ago and 'took a punt.'

Nich.

David
21-08-2022, 06:13 PM
For some reason I have;

YAC001111N and
YAC003850

here. I cannot work out why I have them unless I was collecting for spares a few years ago and 'took a punt.'

Nich.
New or used, Nich? In any event I think that YAC001111N is a non-trip one, but the 3850 is probably a good candidate as a donor unit for a 260, being a late MPH trip unit ... I think!
See: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-YAC003850LNF

David

Nich
21-08-2022, 07:10 PM
New or used, Nich? In any event I think that YAC001111N is a non-trip one, but the 3850 is probably a good candidate as a donor unit for a 260, being a late MPH trip unit ... I think!
See: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-YAC003850LNF

David

Both brand new David. I think I opened them up to see if I could swap the LCD screen but once opened decided against it and re-assembled.

Nich.

Peter260
29-08-2022, 05:20 PM
I have a "brand new"or more like NOS 01 YAC 005120 LNF. So a Low line 2004 -
Does that mean it will not work in my car ?

It appears to have all the displays and I bought it plus 15 years ago from the factory stock.
Thinking one day a spare could be useful but it never crossed my mind that it would not fit.
(I hope the meters etc are still all the same).

It is for sure KMH and MG. RPM left and KMH right.
Waiting for an LCD to arrive so I fix my current display.

Thanks, Peter

David
29-08-2022, 06:53 PM
I have a "brand new"or more like NOS 01 YAC 005120 LNF. So a Low line 2004 -
Does that mean it will not work in my car ?

It appears to have all the displays and I bought it plus 15 years ago from the factory stock.
Thinking one day a spare could be useful but it never crossed my mind that it would not fit.
(I hope the meters etc are still all the same).

It is for sure KMH and MG. RPM left and KMH right.
Waiting for an LCD to arrive so I fix my current display.

Thanks, Peter
I'm unsure. I think 'scoubix', Nicolas Roughol, or maybe 'steve00136' would know.
For some reason I thought your car was Low-line with HK; don't know why !
Are you planning to mount the new LCD unit yourself, or have you found a competent chap in Holland to do it for you?

David

Peter260
31-08-2022, 09:21 AM
I actually don't know what the real difference is between low line and high line.
Mine was ordered as a demonstrator so thought it came with all the options.
As I have sunroof, HK, electric adjusted seats with memory etc. Seems to have the SE indication as well.
But I don't really know.

I am planning to do the display myself.
Since at that time I did not know about the Dutch guy doing updates,
I ordered LCD screens as I was informed there would be no more available.
(I actually bought two thinking it would be good to have a spare one).

Waiting for the parts to arrive from UK (in transit) and than will have to take the decision whether to do it myself.
Since I need to fix a few more things in the interior like mirror controls, steering wheel and possibly upgrading the stereo a long weekend would be good.

Was thinking I will always have the complete unit as a backup if totally mess up. That may not be true anymore.
I bought this cluster when factory stock was sold off on ebay. Bought it with lots of other stuff that I sadly sold when the car was gone.

Thanks

I'm unsure. I think 'scoubix', Nicolas Roughol, or maybe 'steve00136' would know.
For some reason I thought your car was Low-line with HK; don't know why !
Are you planning to mount the new LCD unit yourself, or have you found a competent chap in Holland to do it for you?

David

David
31-08-2022, 04:00 PM
I actually don't know what the real difference is between low line and high line.
Mine was ordered as a demonstrator so thought it came with all the options.
As I have sunroof, HK, electric adjusted seats with memory etc. Seems to have the SE indication as well.
But I don't really know.

A Hi-Line system will have a screen like this (standard 4:3 MGR unit):

If it's Lo-line it will probably look more like this:

If it has a screen, but NOT like the one in the top picture, then it has already been replaced, and that will not tell you if your system is "Hi" or "Lo".

The database shows these as being the options spec, for #800 (no Hi-Line, TV tuner etc mentioned).

High power rear speakers
Pair Rec/Lumbar/Height Adj.-Electric
Elect seat adj - driver memory
225 radial ply tyres
Tyre Profile 45 alloy centre trim - mg logo
7.5 X 18 road wheels
ZR tyre speed rating
Power amplifier fitted
Sunroof-Glass Tilt and Slide - Electric
branded speakers hi-fi pack
Sports Black Leather Seats
Electric fold flat capability dr mirrors
Gear lever surround IMF 3
Pearl Black
Sports PPH Black Full Ash Interior
Pearlescent paint charge
Red / Buff build label

... which indicates low-line, so your "spare" unit SHOULD be the right one anyway?

Waiting for the parts to arrive from UK (in transit) and than will have to take the decision whether to do it myself.

You might still like to consider having the LCD fix done by the German company just over the Dutch border, since I understand you need considerable skill to "DIY" ( which you may well have!). It is, I think, cheap, and carries a 5-year guarantee. A buyer for your LCD's when they arrive, should be easy to organise.
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/rover-75-pixelfehler-tacho-reparatur/2063496410-280-1324?ic_campaign=branding_on_srp&ic_placement=srp_GAM&ic_content=ad1&fbclid=IwAR2pvFYUfYnnEPWCZjH9nL_W1vt7vcfd3TycAFZyh 3Xf6XbTuwLxOT-M5ps

David

Nich
31-08-2022, 04:50 PM
I think there seems to be some confusion in this thread over Hi-Line and Lo-Line systems and Instrument clusters.

Nich.

steve00136
31-08-2022, 04:59 PM
Peter I am no expert but from my recent enquiries a lowline cluster will not be a replacement for a highline cluster - it does not have the trip computer installed.
Maybe someone with better knowledge will confirm.

David
31-08-2022, 05:05 PM
I think there seems to be some confusion in this thread over Hi-Line and Lo-Line systems and Instrument clusters.

Nich.
I guess it all centres around the fact (?) that the instrument clusters are different, Hi-Line/Lo-Line, apparently, so if you want to use a "plug and play" replacement unit, you need to know which one. Obviously the number on the label on the old cluster would tell you that.

It may be that using T4 or a soldering iron even those differences are not insurmountable, should you have a different 'xx-Line' as your replacement unit, what I was referring to in post #6 above, essentially.

As I understand it, the Trip computer cluster version with the IPK LCD display in question, can be fitted on cars with or without the Hi-Line display with TV 'monitor', tuner etc...... or maybe I'm 100% wrong.

I once owned a 2003 V6 with SatNav, Cruise Control, HK sound system, but no TV-screen, just a centre-console unit like the one I show as being "Lo-Line" above. It had an LCD IPK complete with missing pixels too!

David

steve00136
31-08-2022, 05:15 PM
The original content of this post somehow got duplicated so removed? ...... but a good opportunity for an update that I have now got a replacement for my highline cluster (thanks to Nich) and as soon as Rick of Custom Car Parts is back in business will be sending my original and new cluster to have the eeproms swopped over.
Thanks for your help.
Steve

Peter260
06-09-2022, 11:06 AM
Well based on the pictures i have a high line.
Since I was/am the first owner 100% certain the car came with that unit (still is in) and also had navigation installed (the unit in the back (now broken by the way).

The "monitor"was there from new (see also the pictures linked to #0800 on the register here).

Will wait for my parts to arrive :-( Still no sign.
I am handy with electronics so will make a first attempt myself but good to know there is an expert around.
(I will not sell the spare displays. Whole point of buying two was to have a spare should i ever need one.

Fix vintage audio as a hobby and parts like these become very difficult to find at some point in time.
So would advice anyone to buy an extra and store it for the future (if anything the parts will not become cheaper).

As for the unit I bought 15 years ago. Will keep it for spare in case the speedometer or rpm meter breaks.

Thanks,
Peter

David
06-09-2022, 11:46 AM
Well based on the pictures i have a high line.
Since I was/am the first owner 100% certain the car came with that unit (still is in) and also had navigation installed (the unit in the back (now broken by the way)...
If you feel the need, you can simply replace the combined CD-Drive and satnav in the right rear wing, by a BMW or MINI DVD Mk. IV 'High' satnav unit.
Map DVD-disk updates stopped at 2019, but better than nothing. Plug and play replacement, potentially a cheap/free version upgrade of the head-unit firmware may be required, that's all.

... but make sure if you do that you buy carefully. I bought one on eBay a couple of years ago, and it only gave me only French, German and Italian language choice! Any takers?

David

scoubix
08-09-2022, 12:19 AM
If you feel the need, you can simply replace the combined CD-Drive and satnav in the right rear wing, by a BMW or MINI DVD Mk. IV 'High' satnav unit.
Map DVD-disk updates stopped at 2019, but better than nothing. Plug and play replacement, potentially a cheap/free version upgrade of the head-unit firmware may be required, that's all.

... but make sure if you do that you buy carefully. I bought one on eBay a couple of years ago, and it only gave me only French, German and Italian language choice! Any takers?

David

French, did you say? ;)
Both of my cars have MkIV already. However I can fairly easily change the languages in that unit of yours if you want to, you just need to send that drive to me.
I have the software and K-Bus interface adapter to connect to it.

David
08-09-2022, 09:39 AM
French, did you say? ;)
Both of my cars have MkIV already. However I can fairly easily change the languages in that unit of yours if you want to, you just need to send that drive to me.
I have the software and K-Bus interface adapter to connect to it.
I purchased another Mk.IV with English as one of the languages in its firmware, so I have no direct need anymore.
Swallowed my pride and mentally "wrote off" the Euro 75 I had paid for the original Italian/French/German one (now I know why it was cheap!) and it is still sitting on my 'spares-shelf'.

I had already purchased a Resler USB interface cable to hack into the K-Bus too, but chickened out in case I really screwed things up! Also, although I downloaded Navcoder and found an English .LNG language file to download, you had said back in June '20:

"it will ask for the firmware CD for the satnav language change, and you can't use BMW ones on a Rover unit, you need the specific Rover CD.". ... and that I did not have, so the Resler interface is also now sitting next to the Mk IV on the 'spares-shelf' !

David

scoubix
10-09-2022, 09:49 PM
I purchased another Mk.IV with English as one of the languages in its firmware, so I have no direct need anymore.
Swallowed my pride and mentally "wrote off" the Euro 75 I had paid for the original Italian/French/German one (now I know why it was cheap!) and it is still sitting on my 'spares-shelf'.

I had already purchased a Resler USB interface cable to hack into the K-Bus too, but chickened out in case I really screwed things up! Also, although I downloaded Navcoder and found an English .LNG language file to download, you had said back in June '20:

... and that I did not have, so the Resler interface is also now sitting next to the Mk IV on the 'spares-shelf' !

David

For the MkIV you would need the BMW v32 firmware CD, which is readily available out there :)

David
11-09-2022, 11:25 AM
For the MkIV you would need the BMW v32 firmware CD, which is readily available out there :)
Appreciate that, Nicolas, but I was referring to the language change process using a Resler cable and Navcoder. You said then that " ... it will ask for the firmware CD for the satnav language change, and you can't use BMW ones on a Rover unit, you need the specific Rover CD.".

I infer from that, that the CD asked for is not the same as the BMW V.32 (copied) CD I used simply to update my (English language) Mk.IV firmware level for running 2019 maps DVDs therefore?

David

scoubix
12-09-2022, 09:55 PM
Appreciate that, Nicolas, but I was referring to the language change process using a Resler cable and Navcoder. You said then that " ... it will ask for the firmware CD for the satnav language change, and you can't use BMW ones on a Rover unit, you need the specific Rover CD.".

I infer from that, that the CD asked for is not the same as the BMW V.32 (copied) CD I used simply to update my (English language) Mk.IV firmware level for running 2019 maps DVDs therefore?

David
Well the MkIV IS a BMW unit, so yes you would need a BMW firmware CD, that is V32, to change its languages. You'd need a Rover CD only for the Rover MkIII units that were factory-fit on our cars...

Hairysnid
07-12-2022, 01:04 PM
So, can a highline instrument cluster be fitted to a car without the trip computer originaly fitted,
ie non - SE.
If so is it a case of fitting the cluster the control stalk and then a T4 session?