PDA

View Full Version : HUGE price adjustment on the SMG R75V8

David
19-02-2021, 10:40 AM
If you were eagerly waiting for the (20 miles only) Rover 75 V8 at SMG Hursley Hill to drop into an even remotely affordable price range ... think again.

From the 'Complete List of 260s For Sale' today:

First listed in 2008
13/07/2020 Increased in price from £29,995 to £34,995
19/02/2021 Increased in price from £34,995 to £39,995

2008 Rover 75 V8 Connoisseur SE, Platinum Gold, 20 miles, £39,995, VIN #702
https://www.hursleyhillgarage.co.uk/used/rover/75/v8-connoissuer-se/bristol/avon/14579752/#top-image

Explain please. My brain hurts !

David

jeff turbo
19-02-2021, 11:33 AM
I see it went up from £29995 to £34995, but £40K??? Mind you most of the cars there are expensive

Nich
19-02-2021, 02:30 PM
It's obvious really. It's attracting very rare earth elements as it's standing idle and will become a source of incredibly rich base metals.........one day! They've obviously got their heads screwed on at Hursley Hill, what an investment opportunity.

:):):)

Nich.

David
19-02-2021, 02:50 PM
It's obvious really. It's attracting very rare earth elements as it's standing idle and will become a source of incredibly rich base metals.........one day! They've obviously got their heads screwed on at Hursley Hill, what an investment opportunity.

:):):)

Nich. Makes sense. Wish I had the education you did, Nich, but sadly without your obviously exceptional level of intellect, it would have been wasted on this simple wretched soul anyway. I always thought "base metal" was what Duff McKagan from Guns N' Roses churned out (or maybe Lead Zeppelin?).

:ash :(

David

Nich
19-02-2021, 03:08 PM
I think you will find that should be Led Zep David. Thank goodness for my Universitee Edukashun.

Nich.

David
19-02-2021, 03:19 PM
I think you will find that should be Led Zep David. Thank goodness for my Universitee Edukashun.

Nich.
New dat! "Lead" is heavy metal and base metal, see. Suttle joke, bro. Gotcha !!!!!

David

SCP440
19-02-2021, 09:23 PM
Some one I know went to see him with 90% of the price of the car in cash. He was expecting to get a deal as it had been for sale for so long. He was basically told it is the price as advertised or no sale and there was no chance he would service or give any warranty for the money. With a week the price had increased to £35k. My guess he actually does not want to sell it or maybe is hoping it will one day be worth a lot of money.

Steve

barry monk
20-02-2021, 10:33 AM
I tried to do a deal way back in 2010?.The guy is a Dreamer.

T16
28-02-2021, 12:34 PM
maybe is hoping it will one day be worth a lot of money.

Steve

It just won't. Ever. Sorry to say it, but these cars are not so desirable any more. Think about the hassle of keeping an old BMW going, or restoring it. Even with the clout of BMW parts over the years and all the re-manufacturers its STILL a pain to keep and maintain. This seller is clearly an absolute clown, give it another 10 years and all of the rubbers will need attention. Who in their right mind would take that on!?

Things are going to be even more of a frustration with petrol cars, now electrics are making leaps and bounds every single year. We are SO close to that turning point where electric becomes almost the mainstream, certainly within the next 5 years IMO. I'd take a Porsche Taycan or an Audi E-tron sportback over anything petrol right now. I love the sound of V8's, but as I've got older I find noise to be absolutely irritating, and I love how quiet the electrics are. Some of the ones Ive driven have been so fast they actually give me a real adrenaline rush like a rollercoaster.

Certainly in Scotland, basically 100% of domestic power is renewable now, so we are not far off being 100% self sustaining and I for one would rather drive electric charged from wind over a petrol car.

I can never get over just how fast things change in todays world, a while ago I laughed my ass off with the 2030 gov announcement, but given the change of pace, its actually looking possible charging infrastructure dependent of course.

Just who would buy a car like the one in this thread at anywhere close to whats it's been advertised at, I cannot fathom. Its a shame, but it seems destined to sit there forever more. The guy must surely be sick of the sight of it by now, hasn't it been for sale for about 6 years?

Edit: LOL the guy has got a crappy silver 1.8 ZR up for £10k! No-one can take this garage seriously, the owner must be on some sort of tribal hallucinogen...

David
28-02-2021, 12:50 PM
... hasn't it been for sale for about 6 years? ...
At least 13. Probably a bit longer; I wasn't looking at them in 2006/7

David

SCP440
28-02-2021, 01:11 PM
I think Petrol powered vehicles will be here for a lot longer than the government want or are hoping, there are a lot of classic cars that will still need petrol ( yes they can be converted to electric) and some are worth a lot of money. What is going to happen to cars like a Ferrari 250 or Bugatti Veyron? They are unlikely to be scrapped but maybe there use will just be more restricted? I know of a several Jensen Interceptors that are having very expensive restorations at the moment, these people must have faith that fuel in some form for a while yet and an Interceptor has a big appetite for fuel.

There is talk of alternative fuels that ICE powered vehicles will be able to run on and because it is made of captured carbon, hydrogen and ethanol is technically almost as green.

My guess in 20 years time the amount of ICE cars will be less than there are at the moment but unless the cost is reduced, the range is vastly extended and the recharge time is reduced there will be a lot of people will keep there ''old cars''. As has been said electric cars are amazing but unless you have time can be a total pain on long journeys. Electric cars should be used for short journeys and it makes a lot of sense for commuters in my view.

A little story, a friends wife wanted a Jag E pace, he managed to wangle an extended test drive and gave it to his wife so she could go to a conference 200 miles away, she got there no trouble but it needed recharging for her return trip, all the charging points at the conference centre were faulty or not working but her plan was to find one after and recharge while she did some shopping, at 6pm she came out of the conference and it took an hour to find a charging point that was working. After about 45mins she got bored and headed home as the car said she had enough range, on the M25 she got caught in traffic, heavy rain and 50 miles from home she came to a halt. She rung the RAC and they trailered her home and she got home in the early hours of the morning in a foul mood, guess who no longer want a Jag E pace?

Steve

torque2me
01-03-2021, 05:29 PM
I think Petrol powered vehicles will be here for a lot longer than the government want or are hoping,

Steve,
Whatever timescale a govt. gives there is, on past performance, always the need to look green and therefore reduce the period of grace. I think petrol availability will be like LPG - one will need an app to locate the nearest point of sale.

My guess in 20 years time the amount of ICE cars will be less than there are at the moment but unless the cost is reduced, the range is vastly extended and the recharge time is reduced there will be a lot of people will keep there ''old cars''. As has been said electric cars are amazing but unless you have time can be a total pain on long journeys. Electric cars should be used for short journeys and it makes a lot of sense for commuters in my view.

Yes, the majority will go as normal wastage except those considered to be future classics (by a blind, optimistic owner). What those will be and the number no-one knows but is likely to be less in volume than past decades.

caught in traffic, heavy rain and 50 miles from home she came to a halt. She rung the RAC and they trailered her home and she got home in the early hours of the morning in a foul mood, guess who no longer want a Jag E pace?

Steve

To be fair, it won't only just be F-Pace's. Most EV will exhibit the trait of showing more power available than what will be eventually needed. The manufactures could ask software developers to write in a "M25 algorithm" and the user will just confirm they will use that area. Then the "voice" will tell you 'You need to be fully charged, exterminate, exterminate'.

Kev

SteveTD
02-03-2021, 09:52 PM
I wonder what my 2,500 miles 75 V8 is worth then?!

David
03-03-2021, 09:38 AM
I wonder what my 2,500 miles 75 V8 is worth then?!
Cat, as in bag, Steve?

David

SteveTD
03-03-2021, 10:37 AM
;) yup

Steve

Cat, as in bag, Steve?

David

David
03-03-2021, 10:56 AM
My 215k miles 'Olive' must be worth a lot more though, being much newer than yours ... by 3 days. :D

David