PDA

View Full Version : Rover V8 premium bumper chrome surround.

EbbwBen
13-10-2019, 12:03 PM
As per title, I'm after what seems to be the impossible - a Premium bumper chrome surround.

If anyone has one then let me know please!

David
13-10-2019, 01:06 PM
As per title, I'm after what seems to be the impossible - a Premium bumper chrome surround.

A member here ended up buying a car to get one (from a non-V8 Rover 75 fitted with a genuine Premium bumper).
Just in case you get lead astray, the ones on the Chinese bumpers are significantly different.

David

Nich
13-10-2019, 01:43 PM

Do you own a 260/R 75 V8? If so why haven't you become a full member, seems a bit strange joined up over a year ago and it's your first post.

Nich.

David
13-10-2019, 01:48 PM
Do you own a 260/R 75 V8? If so why haven't you become a full member, seems a bit strange joined up over a year ago and it's your first post.

Nich.
Yes, Nich is right, you'll not be able to see a lot of the information you really need to have available to you, plus of course the club shop isn't open to you either. Full membership makes good sense, I think ... no, I know!

David

Les4048
13-10-2019, 03:34 PM

Nich.

if it is who I think it is he is looking to purchase a V8 with a damaged surround so no surprise he has not posted or become a full member. I do not think a comment like that is helpful in welcoming people to the forum as I am sure many who are on here just sit quietly

David
13-10-2019, 03:47 PM
if it is who I think it is he is looking to purchase a V8 with a damaged surround so no surprise he has not posted or become a full member. I do not think a comment like that is helpful in welcoming people to the forum as I am sure many who are on here just sit quietly
Not being privy to the inside info you apparently have, Les, it appears that both Nich and I jumped to the obvious conclusion that the guy was looking for a surround for a car he already owns. Generally that's how it works, isn't it? On that very reasonable assumption, I think that both Nich and I gave him good advice to help him live with an R75V8, and with all that it will undoubtedly ask of its owner, sooner or later.

David

Les4048
13-10-2019, 03:57 PM
Just shows, never jump to conclusions

EbbwBen
13-10-2019, 04:38 PM
Maybe I should have introduced myself a bit more before posting... :o

I am a long-time owner and enthusiast of Rover 75's and ZT's. I currently own a Cowley 75 2.0V6 Club SE Auto, a Cdti 75 Auto Tourer and a ZT-T+ 190 along with an MG TF115. :D

I have been active on the 75 and ZT Club forum and have been organising meets and events in S. Wales for many years, now. My username over there is BigBen, and you're welcome to check out my profile HERE (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=23989).

Please also feel free to browse my Flikr photostream HERE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/150398080@N07/) in which you will find pics of all my current cars, and of the various meets and events I have been involved in over the last few years or so.

I am looking for a R75 V8 to add to the 'fleet'. I am well-aware of the marque, and many of the idiosyncrasies of the V8 variant having talked to many owners over the years - although new input is, of course, always welcome! :)

I joined this forum when I was first looking for an R75 V8 last year, fully intending to become a full member once I had purchased one. However soon afterwards my mother suddenly and completely unexpectedly developed a brain tumour and within 3 months passed away; after dealing with the resulting effects within the family I more-or-less took a whole year off from the usual shows, etc.

Les also frequents "the other side", so has seen my practically identical posts on THIS (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299916) thread there... :)

I have been viewing cars in the last month or so and have found one I really like, but the premium grille surround has been stolen - so therefore I was just "testing the water" as to if anyone knew of the whereabouts of some rocking horse poo! ;)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48887478997_ce42654be6_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2hu27hV)

Les4048
13-10-2019, 05:12 PM
Sorry to read about your mother Ben, I’m blessed I still have mine despite a few close calls, she is now 91 and doing well. There are some amazing motors in your feed. Have you decided if you are going to go for it yet ?

EbbwBen
13-10-2019, 05:19 PM
Thanks Les,

Yes I probably will, although I'll give the seller of #648 a few more days to get back to me first.

Worst-case-scenario if I do buy this one is I'll have to find someone who can make me one, probably from Stainless I would have thought. Although an original would still be preferable.

At least it's a bargaining chip if nothing else!!! :D

I have a feeling I'll probably enter into negotiations with him over a pint or two of Butty Bach one evening towards the end of the week....! ;)

David
13-10-2019, 05:36 PM
... Yes I probably will, although I'll give the seller of #648 a few more days to get back to me first. .. probably from Stainless I would have thought. Although an original would still be preferable...
I believe the originals are stainless, not chromed anyway. Looking at the ad photos of #648, it appears still to have its surround intact?

David

EbbwBen
13-10-2019, 06:15 PM
I believe the originals are stainless, not chromed anyway. Looking at the ad photos of #648, it appears still to have its surround intact?

David

Yes, I hope so, I've not been to see it yet.

I sent an email last week which hasn't been replied to yet, also a txt message when I got no answer on the phone number. I sometimes wonder if people really want to sell things....

The surround is for one I viewed yesterday, it's only just down the road from me, and not on your list or advertised on the internet at all. When I queried him he asked me not to pass any details on - which I found very strange, but as I'm very interested in the car I decided to accept this. Besides, it's less competition!! ;)

I've also viewed #595 in Biddestone, and can give you a condition report on it if you like -

It's missing the bumper surround also(!) It has had new brakes and tyres all round, and a very comprehensive service history. Mechanically it seems very sound. It has the original exhausts and they're starting to show their age, although solid. The mirrors aren't working and the chrome covers are quite pitted. There are quite a few stone chips on the bodywork (one or two on the bonnet with some surface rust) and some tiny areas dabbed (badly) with touch-up paint. The near-side plastic roof channel finisher is lifting at the front, and beginning to discolour. The IPK is unreadable.
It's not as high spec as the one near me, either - no sunroof, xenons, headlamp washers or rear blind. Airbag light is on (probably the under seat connector) Also the rear folding seat won't lock on the drivers side, and it's in the higher tax bracket.

He told me the only reason he bought it was because his son said it would be a good short-term investment. (get the feeling it's not his cup of tea).

So IMO he would have to drop the price again for me to be properly interested, given that he is asking more than they are for the one near me and #648

I don't think he'll come down in price, either, as he kept banging on about how someone in New Zealand is constantly hounding him to send it out there... but he doesn't want to...

Another interesting thing about #595 is that the heating system is not the same as the other V8's I've seen. It has two Rover 45 V6 mixing valves, and the dash has the normal system's thumbwheel.

I can't believe he's changed it, the guy does not have a clue about this or any of the other cars he has - they're just hunks of metal "investments" he drives maybe once a year. :(

David
13-10-2019, 06:35 PM
I know the owner of #595 claimed the system was "all wrong" (probably because he was looking for / been sold a MG ZT260 mixer valve, not the different R75V8 one, at a tad under £600 quid). He had quite a lot of leeway to invest some money on top of the 'hammer-price' at last year's auction though. All Rovers including the V8 should have the thumbwheel of course, unlike the ZT 260, but that special L/R mixer 4-pipe-valve. None should have a bodge constructed from R45 valves!

Rover mixer valve, 1 actuator motor, 2 valves, "iffy"nylon tracked actuator-peg (LHD version).

All the part numbers of the valves etc are here, but drop me a line by PM if you need any info, which may well not be visible to you, so long as you promise to join as a full member when you get a car !! :D

David

EbbwBen
13-10-2019, 06:45 PM
That's interesting.

The platinum 75 I went to look at in Buckinghamshire had the V8 badge, not the thumbwheel.

Therefore I'd just believed (wrongly) they were the same as the ZT 260's.

Now I think of it, the one near me has a thumbwheel too!!

He told me that it had two valves and they only found replacements by taking the part numbers off the old ones, which were the same as the ones on the R45 V6!

So I was right when I though he didn't really know anything. He did seem to be "full of it" so to speak.

10k was a laugh.... 8k is still a chuckle. Basically he bought at auction and lost. (Doubt he will accept that, though).

You never know, if he'll let it go cheap enough I may "rescue" it.... :D

And, yes I'll definitely be a full member - probably before I make the actual purchase!

BigJohn
13-10-2019, 06:49 PM
Ben, I don't have a spare surround but I do have three OEM premium bumpers complete with chrome surround. To be honest I don't really need three, one is for my Rover 75 CDTi, one would be a just in case spare and the third I could be tempted to sell if it helped you secure the car you want. Let me know if you are interested Regards John

EbbwBen
13-10-2019, 06:54 PM
Ben, I don't have a spare surround but I do have three OEM premium bumpers complete with chrome surround. To be honest I don't really need three, one is for my Rover 75 CDTi, one would be a just in case spare and the third I could be tempted to sell if it helped you secure the car you want. Let me know if you are interested Regards John

Thank-you John, that's very good of you, and yes - I'm interested!:)

David
13-10-2019, 06:56 PM
FYI, Just added a photo of the R75V8 L/R mixer valve to my earlier post,

David

EbbwBen
13-10-2019, 07:14 PM
FYI, Just added a photo of the R75V8 L/R mixer valve to my earlier post,

David

Hmmm.... almost looks like an adapted VIS motor...

David
13-10-2019, 07:22 PM
Hmmm.... almost looks like an adapted VIS motor...
Believe me, in real life it doesn't!

David

EbbwBen
13-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Believe me, in real life it doesn't!

David

I'm sure it's not.. that would be waaaay too easy!! :D:D:D:D

Nich
13-10-2019, 08:35 PM
In answer to that I think you will find I am more than happy to welcome new members to the Forum Les as evidenced by my numerous posts on the subject. Whether you think it is helpful or not I stand by my post which was not unpleasant, critical or rude just pointing out the obvious that if someone joins the forum and then doesn't post for a year and then their first post is asking if anyone has a rare part it seems strange to me and worth pointing out and asking the obvious question. Had the OP added some background information then that would have been helpful, he didn't, for whatever reason, hence my post. Hope that explains it to everyone's satisfaction.

Nich.

BigJohn
13-10-2019, 08:37 PM
Thank-you John, that's very good of you, and yes - I'm interested!:)

Hi Ben I have sent you a message about the bumper

EbbwBen
08-11-2019, 05:56 PM
Just to let you all know I have found a car, and will be picking it up in a month or so (waiting for house-move date, conveyancers are a total PITA). :~

Thanks for all your help, especially David, John and Bob (as always!). ;)

I will be joining as a full member in a few weeks time, too. To me owning and being able to look after one of these great cars is a privilege. :D

David
08-11-2019, 06:53 PM
Big thumbs-up on that, Ben! Look forward to seeing her at the POL next year, maybe?
Glad to have helped a bit, maybe.

David

Scarlet Fever
13-11-2019, 01:56 PM
Great news Ben, looking forward to seeing some pics as and when.

colintf
13-11-2019, 10:54 PM
Hi Ben, that's fantastic :thumb