PDA

View Full Version : Gear Knob?

Harrygsi
25-07-2019, 06:39 PM
Hi Guys,
Long time since being on the forum but still running '259' daily!
Gear knob looking a off these days..........any about at all please?
Thanks
Peter
PS - I see the ZTT did not sell!

David
25-07-2019, 07:13 PM
... I see the ZTT did not sell! ...
If you mean the H&H auction one, it got pretty near I think, at 9k. I think that at a 10k-12k auctioneers' estimate, the reserve was probably on the lower figure, apparently without flexibility.

David.

Malcolmr
28-07-2019, 04:25 AM
There was a posting a year or so ago about "refreshing" the clear covering over the shift pattern. From memory, the old discoloured one peels off and you fit a replacement made from something I don't exactly remember but probably from your recycling bin. It looked quite simple to do.

Malcolm

James C
28-07-2019, 10:35 AM
TBH if it's discoloured, just try cleaning it first. One of our mechanics got mine dirty once and I cleaned it off and was surprised that the discolouring was just years of my sweat on the knob (ohh err missus)

David
28-07-2019, 10:50 AM
There was a posting a year or so ago about "refreshing" the clear covering over the shift pattern. From memory, the old discoloured one peels off and you fit a replacement made from something I don't exactly remember but probably from your recycling bin. It looked quite simple to do.

Malcolm That was Nicolas, 'scoubix' in France. He owns, #190, the ZT-T auto/Rover 75 prototype car and the MGR guys had tried to 'convert' the V6 one, but not very well. Scoubix's was much bettter.

Bit about it here:
https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?16363-75-V8-auto-gearbox-surround-and-gear-indicator-any-idea-on-part-numbers&p=171826#post171826

David

Malcolmr
29-07-2019, 01:56 AM
Thanks David, but there was another one dealing with the manual gear knobs such as James' sweaty discoloured one where the murky clear film was lifted off and replaced with a new one.

Malcolm

Les4048
29-07-2019, 06:33 AM
Thanks David, but there was another one dealing with the manual gear knobs such as James' sweaty discoloured one where the murky clear film was lifted off and replaced with a new one.

Malcolm

There is a how to on the OC Malcolm, you remove the clear film and paint with clear varnish. See link

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=124574

Malcolmr
29-07-2019, 12:02 PM
Thanks Les, that was it! 2012 I see, quite recent!! :-)

ceedy
29-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Did my grubby Knob some months back .

I levered out the badge, gave it a good sanding with fine paper to remove the grubbies, polished it with cutting compound, cleaned and gave it a load of coats of clear laquer
then stuck it back on .

Came up like new ..

Chris

Harrygsi
01-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Thanks Guys,
Mine has responded to a good clean........they do get grubby don't they! A bit sticky so might give it a lacquer?
Not sure if mine has the round or D shaped fitting? The car is the later Mk2. Someone has 2 for sale but one is for the `190' so is not sure which is correct?
Peter