PDA

View Full Version : cranking not starting

werdna232002
24-02-2019, 02:15 PM
hi! the car as described above is cranking and would not start, i could not hear the pump priming. the car already has the orange clip on the fuel filter. i have checked fuses and swapped relays but still no joy.

David
24-02-2019, 02:29 PM
hi! the car as described above is cranking and would not start, i could not hear the pump priming. the car already has the orange clip on the fuel filter. i have checked fuses and swapped relays but still no joy.
Is that the V8 you are talking about, which you bought over a year ago? If so, are you trying to start on year-old+ fuel, it may have become waxy and have caused fuel feed blockage(s). Risky using very old fuel anyway. Injectors can become blocked or, if it does start, even self-destruct causing untold problems ('Harrygsi' managed to kill his engine by hydrolocking probably because of a failed injector "hose-piping").

Anyway since you are now an owner, you can go 'green' as a full member, and get lots more handy information here; just get on to Tim for a questionnaire.

David

werdna232002
24-02-2019, 02:57 PM
Is that the V8 you are talking about, which you bought over a year ago? If so, are you trying to start on year-old+ fuel, it may have become waxy and have caused fuel feed blockage(s). Risky using very old fuel anyway. Injectors can become blocked or, if it does start, even self-destruct causing untold problems ('Harrygsi' managed to kill his engine by hydrolocking probably because of a failed injector "hose-piping").

Anyway since you are now an owner, you can go 'green' as a full member, and get lots more handy information here; just get on to Tim for a questionnaire.

David

i have ran the car every now and then and has topped it up recently with new fuel.

Nich
24-02-2019, 05:03 PM
Where are you located Andrew?

Nich.

werdna232002
24-02-2019, 05:34 PM
Where are you located Andrew?

Nich.

I am based in twickenham, west london

werdna232002
24-02-2019, 05:35 PM
Have you checked the usual stuff?

Spark - faulty ignition circuit
Fuel delivery - filter

I have checked the fuel filter, swapped the relay and fuses, still nothing.

SCP440
24-02-2019, 07:50 PM
Do you have fuel pressure? Do you have a spark?

Have you done anything to the car since it last started?

Steve

werdna232002
25-02-2019, 07:26 AM
Do you have fuel pressure? Do you have a spark?

Have you done anything to the car since it last started?

Steve

I have not done anything to the car. There is no fuel pressure as the pump is not priming.

SCP440
25-02-2019, 08:04 AM
Do you have 12v at the pump?

If you do then you probably need a pump if not it could be the module in the boot, a relay, fuse or the the ECU is not sending a signal for some reason. I know on som GM vehicles a faulty CPS can cause this.

Steve

Nich
25-02-2019, 09:05 AM
I think the first thing you need to do is get your questionnaire back to Tim to get full membership, you will then have access to a lot more information to help you try and solve your problem.

You need to apply a bit of logic to your problem before jumping to conclusions. If the car is cranking but not firing you are obviously not getting any fuel to the cylinders but it's probably worth checking that you are getting a spark at the plugs first anyway. Once you have checked that you are getting a spark then it must be the fuel supply. Start at the pump, you say you can't hear the pump priming, that's pretty subjective, check that the pump is getting an electrical supply and if it is then is it ouputting fuel at the correct pressure? If everything up to this point is working as it should then work through the rest of the system to check where the fault lies, gradually narrowing down the options.

Hope this helps.

Nich.

werdna232002
25-02-2019, 10:10 AM
Do you have 12v at the pump?

If you do then you probably need a pump if not it could be the module in the boot, a relay, fuse or the the ECU is not sending a signal for some reason. I know on som GM vehicles a faulty CPS can cause this.

Steve

One of wires supply 11+ voltage on key position one.

robbenMGV8
20-03-2019, 01:11 PM
Please try this:

Put on ignition but dont start!
Wait for at least 20 min.
now start the engine
is it running?

the time waitng is very important while ignition is on so dont turn key to starting else it is not possible

David
20-03-2019, 01:29 PM
Please try this:

Put on ignition but dont start!
Wait for at least 20 min.
now start the engine
is it running?

the time waitng is very important while ignition is on so dont turn key to starting else it is not possible
Do you have any idea what caused that highly unusual situation for you, Robben? Is it solved (for you) now?
Sounds like something "warming up" before it functions! Odd.
I know you were looking at the ECU with Damen en Kroes, but did that resolve it?

David

robbenMGV8
20-03-2019, 07:49 PM
damen en kroes can't solve it because they don't have the software to learn a new ecu but nobody has because this note is made by mgrover for the v8 The pats system of the ford ecu is causing the problem and this is a known problem at ford. the only solution now available is that someone with the right ford software removes the old ecu software and converts it into a new one