PDA

View Full Version : Rover 75V8 Tourer For Sale SCAM. An apology.

David
09-10-2018, 12:36 PM
You may have seen a posting in the Complete List of 260s FOR SALE (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?13272-Complete-List-of-260s-FOR-SALE) a little over a week ago, for a LHD Pearl Black R75V8 Tourer #849. The posting, which I made in good faith, included a link to an advert on the mobile.de site. I have been in touch with the current owner, still in Switzerland, Matthias Vogt, who tells me that the mobile.de advert was in fact part of a hoax or a SCAM.

The car was not, and is not, for sale.

I feel really bad about this, because I repeated the link that Nicolas (scoubix) had sent me too. He was also unwittingly duped by the 'scam merchant'. It would appear from what I have heard, that the hoaxer/scammer was intent on spreading the information beyond just the mobile.de advertisement itself.

Matthias Vogt has accepted my personal apologies, and the Forum's apologies which I expressed on its behalf, for what happened.

David

pete260
09-10-2018, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately scammers are every where David one of the downsides to the WWW

scooter
09-10-2018, 04:14 PM
Apologies not required an honest mistake

David
09-10-2018, 04:17 PM
Apologies not required an honest mistake
Maybe; anyway I felt that at least Mr. Vogt, the potentially aggrieved owner, deserved an apology, notwithstanding the circumstances, so he got one!

David

stevestrat
09-10-2018, 06:41 PM
Curious what the scammer's response/excuse would have been had someone wanted to view and test drive the car.

David
09-10-2018, 06:54 PM
Curious what the scammer's response/excuse would have been had someone wanted to view and test drive the car.
May have been more a hoax than a money making scam?
No way of knowing.

David

scoubix
10-10-2018, 07:03 PM
Yeah, sorry for sending you that information too David. All done in good faith obviously...I'm not the scammer, should you wonder ;-)
I've been subject to similar experiences myself, where pictures of my 827 Coupé were used to advertise another 800 sold for parts. Happened twice actually.
Should have known better ;)