PDA

View Full Version : As new V8 clutch

bigsteve
27-03-2007, 07:51 AM
For sale as new clutch

Brought a new clutch for my V8 but upon inspection it did not need one but fitted it anyway.
So I have a 17,000 mile clutch for sale want £125 for it, MGR are asking £300 for one.

New clutch 22.8 mm thick, this one 22.6 so very little wear.

steve 0208 754 7584

Herman
18-08-2008, 08:20 PM
For sale as new clutch

Brought a new clutch for my V8 but upon inspection it did not need one but fitted it anyway.
So I have a 17,000 mile clutch for sale want £125 for it, MGR are asking £300 for one.

New clutch 22.8 mm thick, this one 22.6 so very little wear.

steve 0208 754 7584

Picking up this old thread.
My clutch seems to be slipping under full load in 4th and 5th gear, but not always. Seems to be an intermitent issue. Any ideas what this could be, other than a clutch on the way out :(??

Also, how easy would it be to fit a new clutch yourself, providing you have the tools. Does the engine need to come out or......

All suggestions welcome.

PS. you still have that clutch Steve?

Phil
19-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Unfortunately I do believe it is an engine out job. I would speak to Scooter and see what he advises.
I don't think BigSteve is on here any more, but I may be wrong.

All the best

Phil

black olive
19-08-2008, 12:46 PM
his phone number on here is the one Ive got and have his email addy if anyone needs it- via PM

I was treated to the smell of clutch the other week when the caravan brakes decided to sieze on on a hill start- but it seems ok.

Herman
19-08-2008, 01:37 PM
I remember reading somewhere that it has been done with the engine in the car (I'll see if I can find the thread) Also read that Scooter says the engine has to come out, as per the repair manual.

I assume the clutch set-up is the same as for a 2004 Mustang, same flywheel, same bell-housing, same gearbox, same bearings ? (although different gearing and gear stick). Plenty of uprated plates around in the USA

Only happened yesterday, didn't notice it anymore and it seems odd that a clutch would need replacing at 44k (I had the car since 17K and don't drive with slipping clutch or do burn-outs) I'll check the hydraulics first and then see what comes up.

Phil
19-08-2008, 02:03 PM
If you leave the engine in, then you've got to remove the gearbox and from what I remember, there is a possibility of bending the input shaft, causing a vibration.

Are you sure it wasn't the wheels spinning?

Herman
19-08-2008, 03:52 PM

Are you sure it wasn't the wheels spinning?.....

I wish, but in 4th doing 40mph thats highly unlikely......:cool: