PDA

View Full Version : Me and my ZT 260 SE

Mustang
11-05-2018, 10:42 PM
Hello everybody.

I was wondering if anybody has any information/answers about my Newley acquired MGZT 260 SE. The information I have so far is as followers.

I know it was Registered 29 06 2004 to MG Rover. Colour X-power Grey (LEF). Original 10 blade alloy wheels fitted
Chassis ending in 000600 being the 600th V8 manufactured of the total of 888. Does anybody know the Rover/ MG split of the 888.
Fitted with the x-power exhaust system. IÂ?m told this was factory fitted at registration, Is this possible as the exhaust system would be 14yrs old?.
In the service record book under the vehicle details is written Â?Press CarÂ?. What does this mean please?

Any answers to the above would be greatly appreciated in addition to any addition informatio.

Many thanks

Michael

Malcolmr
11-05-2018, 11:36 PM
Hi Michael - welcome to the Two-Sixties. Someone will have the exact numbers for you, or they may indeed be in the "Index", but out of the 883 produced about 770 were the MG variants. You should track down some useful reference books - Anders Clausager's MG Saloon Cars and David Knowles' MG V8. Both have very good information on the development and production of the Two Sixty.

There is every chance your exhaust is 14 years old. Old 206 (my car) still has its original system. Other bits have rusted away, but the exhaust is still going!

Malcolm

Nich
11-05-2018, 11:39 PM
Hi Michael, welcome to the Two-Sixties. You need to get your questionnaire back to Tim to get full acess to the site.

Just a few points.

The alloys are 'Apex' alloys.

There were a total of 884 V8's produced.

If your exhaust system is an X Power system it could have been factory fitted but will have quad outlets and as far as I am aware have X Power etched on them somewhere.

If it was a press car then it will have been produced at the factory with a specific set of add-ons (such as X Power exhausts) and would have been used to advertise the model range at press launches etc.

There are pictures of your car in our Gallery.

Nich.

colintf
12-05-2018, 09:30 AM
Hi and welcome :thumb

David
12-05-2018, 11:19 AM
... Any answers to the above would be greatly appreciated in addition to any addition information... l
Welcome Michael! When you join as a full member, there is lots of information to find here. Even then, if you can't then find it, just asking will always get you the info you need. We're a friendly and helpful bunch :)

#600 was owned by a member here and was mentioned in several posts (nothing terrible, don't panic !!). When you've joined you can read them yourself of course.

Manufacturing split was as follows:
Rover 75 V8 Saloon 154 (37 LHD)
Rover 75 V8 Tourer 16 (3 LHD)
MG ZT Saloon 565 (63 LHD)
MG ZT-T Tourer 152 (37 LHD)

That is > 883 since, although the last VIN ended in 000883, a couple of duplicate serial numbers exist ( #005, #007). A handful of cars are MG/Rover "cross dressers" or "confused" ! Production-line cars start from VIN #027, and at least 3 Prodrive ZT-T Development cars existed before being crushed, with "None-SARR..." VIN's, hence the theoretical 888.

Cars finished in X-Power Grey like yours, as follows:
Rover 75 V8 Saloon 21 (2 LHD)
Rover 75 V8 Tourer 2 (1 LHD)
MG ZT Saloon 146 (13 LHD)
MG ZT-T Tourer 33 (6 LHD)

Exhausts are all in stainless steel, although not top quality, but will most likely not have rotted yet from new. Mine have 220k miles and are still intact.

David

Bainzi
12-05-2018, 12:45 PM
Welcome Michael

When you can, let us know what area your in. Helps when organising meets or help etc.

Regards

Nigel

Les4048
12-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Hi Michael, glad you found your way over here, and welcome to the TwoSixties

Mustang
14-05-2018, 11:54 AM
Hi Malcolm.Many thanks for your time in replying to my plea for information. I hope my interest in these cars will grow and in time I'll be able to contribute as much, if not more, than I get from this club. I have had a number of Rover 75s in my time but other than an MGB GT in a former life of mine in the 70s, this is the only other British MG I have owed. I Also have a 2016 MG6 DTI.All the bestMichael

Nich
14-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Hi Michael, a whole world of information awaits you when you get your questionnaire back to Tim to get full membership.

Oh look, that's post number 8000.....:):):)

:hug:hug:hug

Nich.

Mustang
14-05-2018, 12:16 PM
Hi NichThanks for the welcome and I look forward to a long and enjoyable membership. I eventually found the form you mention in the "non-focoused" inbox of my outlook email address. Why on earth MS had to split the inbox I have no idea. Someone justyfying theiir existance methinks. The form is now completed and sent to the email address on the form. Is that tim? Also I've received and email confirming my DD membership.My exhaust system does not have quad pipes, it has two very large oval pipes and certainly enhances the sound of the engine. It looks the same as those I've seen on you tube under MGZT with x-power exhaust. Not looked to see if it's etched or not.The service record book is the only indication of the "Press Car" reference I can see. I'm sure the exhaust is an X-Power but don't know what other add-onns it may have.I've looked for the picture in the Gallery but not really knowing what to do I can't find them. Is the a way of searching the gallery if so how?Thanks againAll the best Michael Nich.

Mustang
14-05-2018, 12:22 PM
Hi ColinThanks for the welcome. I think I'm going to enjoy myself being a member of the club.All the best Michael

Nich
14-05-2018, 12:35 PM
Here you go Michael:

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1212

Nich.

Mustang
14-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Hi DavidThanks for the welcome and I can't agree with you more about being friendly and helpful. My very short life in the club has proven thisa to be the case. So many members willing to welcome and assist me.I've completed the form and emailed it back. I've also received confirmation of a DD membership so hopefully all will be well very soon. Trust me I think I'll be asking a great deal until I lean how to use the site.I will certainly try to find the post about my car when my membership is sorted.It never fails to amaze me the amount of information some people, with a chosen interest, accumulate or have access to. You certainly are one of those. thank God.Out of interest do the numbers tell you how many MGZT 260s were made and where abouts mine would have been in the numbers.Thanks once againAll the best Michael

Mustang
14-05-2018, 01:09 PM
Hi Nigel

Thanks for your message. I'm in Thetford, Norfolk.

Hope this helps

All the best

Michael

Mustang
14-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Hi Les

Thanks for the welcome.

Looking forward to a long and enjoyable membership.

All the best

Michael

Mustang
14-05-2018, 01:14 PM
Great thanks - Just had a look - She does look good I have to admit.

David
14-05-2018, 01:36 PM
... do the numbers tell you how many MGZT 260s were made and where abouts mine would have been in the numbers...
Yes, they do, but at the moment I fancy drinking a cold beer on my 26c sunny patio instead. I look at that later for you !!!!

Cheers, David

Nich
14-05-2018, 01:49 PM
..............how many MGZT 260s were made and where abouts mine would have been in the numbers...........

Have a look here Michael:

http://www.mg-rover.info/get_info.htm

Nich.

anthony27
14-05-2018, 02:54 PM
Welcome, Michael.

Two-sixty ownership is an unique experience, with lots of rewards, and you're in good hands with the two-sixties website.

David
14-05-2018, 03:06 PM
I make #600 the 141st of 179 X-Power Grey ZT & ZT-T's combined, and the 574th of the total 717 ZT's and ZT-T's (LHD & RHD) produced. Around 75-80% through the production run on both counts (total and colour).

David

David
14-05-2018, 03:28 PM
Have a look here Michael:

http://www.mg-rover.info/get_info.htm
Just tells you CAPTCHA V1 IS SHUTDOWN. ... nice to know! Glad it's not our site.
Must admit though, when it does work, their maths is often a bit odd. Once checked a VIN to be told that was there were -1 other cars also born on that day.

David

Scarlet Fever
14-05-2018, 05:49 PM
Agreed, the data on MG-Rover.info is very suspect.

Factory data was given out to a limited number of parties (with a number of strict caveats, this is a can of worms so i won't go into the details here), but suffice it to say that a lot of the online data sites are using very old data that is riddled with errors - they simply present the Factory data as is and sadly, although a brilliant starting point, the data needed a LOT of work to get anything even close to accurate.

An example of this is the MGF Abingdon limited edition. Due to a data recording error, the factory information lists some 20000+ cars, when they only made 1600 - basically any F that had the factory leather seats option was recorded erroneously as an Abingdon LE. This has lead to regular postings on social media along the lines of "i have a Flame Red Abingdon, i thought they were only made in Brooklands Green?"

There are a few people that have spent a lot of time trying to sort this out, if you know where to go you can get pretty accurate data on MGF & TFs these days thanks to the tireless work of the MGCC and a few individuals. Thankfully the data set for the V8 cars is also pretty damned good - and the Two-Sixties group has the best data set. Having been the Registrar for the MGCC in the past and having seen the F, ZS & V8 data sets, i can tell you that the V8 one is in my opinion, the most comprehensive & the most accurate of them all, mainly due to the smaller numbers of cars built.

Welcome. :)

Morganman
15-05-2018, 07:37 PM
...and welcome from Germany. Good luck with your new Toy!

André