PDA

View Full Version : Rover 75 260

insheepsclothing
17-11-2017, 01:39 PM
Hi,as yet I do not own one of these fine vehicles..

I have wanted the Rover version(as I prefer autos) off and on for a few years now but havent got around to buying one..

Does anyone know the past history for the one on e-bay at the moment www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-4-6-260-V8-Auto-Connoisseur-SE-MG-ZT-V8/182827379488?hash=item2a915c6b20:g:ddUAAOSwYDVZ4I4 Y

Also does anyone have any experience of the dealer that is selling it..

Many thanks

David
17-11-2017, 02:03 PM
... Also does anyone have any experience of the dealer that is selling it...
They do have a very good name as far as I have heard; very knowledgeable about 'our cars' too.
No personal experience of them or the car currently advertised though.

This thread may help you too: Forum / Public Section / Cars for sale / Complete List of 260s FOR SALE

From that list, https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?13272-Complete-List-of-260s-FOR-SALE/page3 , post #36 may be of interest? Again no personal knowledge of the car or the owner/history at all, simply a possible pointer !

... when you do find one, don't forget to come back and join as a full member ;)

David

ColinE
17-11-2017, 10:13 PM
Bought mine through Elite many years ago, no issues at all. Obviously the more history the better

SCP440
17-11-2017, 10:22 PM
Sorry to be negative about Elite but they had a car for sale I was interested in, he failed to rig me back about it twice and when I got hold of him he just said it had sold a few days ago. No offer of a call back if anything else came up.

Personally I found him very rude and not a dealer I would choose to deal with.

Steve

Les4048
17-11-2017, 10:35 PM
I can only speak very highly of James, when I bought my car off him in 2012 he couldn’t do enough for me. I paid a deposit without seeing the car and I wasn’t disappointed either. There were others after the car but James very kindly kept it for me until work commitments allowed me to travel down the 500 miles to pay for the car. He picked Carole and I up at the station and drove us to his garage. He’s very knowledgeable about our cars and I’d not hesitate to deal with him again

insheepsclothing
18-11-2017, 01:36 PM
Many thanks for all the info..I will do some more research..

Sam

Jez Marsh
18-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Back in 15 James failed to return call once but otherwise has been fairly good. Get impression he don't like time wasters. Questions about his cars have always got fair answers. He has a decent rep on here generally.

SteveTD
19-11-2017, 10:31 AM
I've bought two cars off James - and have had no issues either time. Recommended.

barry monk
19-11-2017, 12:19 PM
There's always the "NEW" one at Hursley Hill Garage,near Bristol for £29,995.

paulbailey
19-11-2017, 04:52 PM
What would a fair price be for the Hursley Hill one?

I'm interested in any views on this?!!

Thanks

Paul

SCP440
19-11-2017, 06:51 PM
Probably a lot less than he will take. Being it has been unused for 12 years it will need to be recommissioned. New tyres and fluids all round. Personally if I was in a position to buy it would offer £18 to £20k.

Steve

David
19-11-2017, 08:23 PM
What would a fair price be for the Hursley Hill one?

I'm interested in any views on this?!!

Thanks

Paul
OK, so what is "fair" anyway?
Is it worth it?

Well if 'worth' is making a profit, then probably not. The only important factors are the facts that it is "new" and almost no miles on the clock.
6 months down the road it becomes a low mileage car. Period. Worth a lot? Yes, most certainly. 30K? Most certainly not.

If the pleasure of owning one is what you mean, then probably not either; mine cost a bit over 3.5k pounds (OK, I was very lucky!), but I have EXACTLY the same pleasure for 1/10th of that amount. 1/4 or so would give you that same pleasure. OK, maybe some bills on the way, but not 30K!

If the Lotto threw the money into my lap tomorrow, would I consider it? Probably 'yes', even though it makes no sense at all, 'cept it's not a left-hooker, so 'no' on that count too. ;)

David

paulbailey
19-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I am retired and own a P5b and Mk1 ZT 260. The P5b has only 73k on the clock and I am the second owner. The ZT has 116k on the clock and I am first owner (I paid £25k for it in 2004 as the Mk2 had come out and they wanted to get it off stock). I am just worried that something new will go pop on a long journey with the ZT. As Steve says the Rover 75 would need a fair bit of work for it to be treated as a new car, so why are they asking so much money, have they had it in stock for 8 years? so, what is their motivation??

Paul

David
19-11-2017, 09:01 PM
... I am just worried that something new will go pop on a long journey with the ZT... l
Don't get paranoid, Paul :)
Like I say I have twice the mileage and have no problems with setting off to the UK (1600 miles round trip) tomorrow morning, if needs must. Wouldn't think twice.
Always serviced as she should be and runs like a train; twelve years old? What the hell! She has NEVER let me down and I'm sure never will.

Next door neighbour's 6 months old Peugeot (pretty colour ...) died totally and terminally in the middle of a french motorway last week on the way back from holidays (home-sickness?). Not made in Longbridge, see.

David

paulbailey
20-11-2017, 08:58 AM
Thanks David, you are right, I'll hang on to vin 41 to her death or mine, I did about 350 miles in her over the weekend. It's just that I can't follow why that dealer should hang on to the Rover for so long, did he think it was an investment..?

Paul

SteveTD
20-11-2017, 09:55 AM
I made quite serious enquiries about the £30k 75 v8 earlier in the summer.
The garages attitude is slightly odd - but the upshot is they would sell for around 25k.
I was willing to pay 18k which was much too low for them.
I don't think the car is quite the seized up, frozen mothballed article that some have described. It is regularly started up and taken for short journeys (to the end of the street and back)
I believe the current mileage is circa 200 miles.

David has hit the nail on the head.
If you want to buy it to preserve it and one day hope it's worth £££££......well the entry price of circa £25k makes that possibility an uphill battle.
If you want to buy it and use it, then it almost immediately becomes the same as any other low miler out there - i.e. worth sub £16/17k.....
That's quite a bit to lose in the first 6 months!.....

However, if you are in the position to not give a monkeys about that and you just want one - because let's face it ... try and get another......then it started to make sense.

If it had have been a monogram I'd have probably bought it. But then again as my neighbour has recently described me, I have a 'car illness'.....!!!

SCP440
20-11-2017, 02:39 PM
My guess he paid high teens for it as that is what they were selling for a couple of years after the collapse. I agree it needs preserving but even if you did and put it away for 20 years it would probably have a similar value to a SD1 Vitesse if the same had happened to one of those so not a great investment.

At the end of the day there is a very limited market for these cars as a lot of people don't even know they exist, even less people have the spare cash to buy one costing more than twice what a used one would cost and even less again who are willing to buy it and them put it away unused.

I think my 260 is a great car but if I had a spare £25k would I buy it? No I can think of a lot of other cars on my bucket list that I would rather have.

Maybe Beaulieu or Gaydon should have look after it? At least it would show the public they exist.

Steve

David
20-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Do we know the VIN of the car, incidentally?

David

Nich
20-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Do we know the VIN of the car, incidentally?

David

I think it's #818.

Nich.

Black_Betty
27-11-2017, 11:43 AM
Rover 75-260/MG ZT-260 Same car (more or less) but the rover is much cheaper to insure!

David
27-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Rover 75-260/MG ZT-260 Same car (more or less) but the rover is much cheaper to insure!
And they feel (and sound!) very different too. Depends what you want of the car; neither is intrinsically better than the other, just quite 'different', at least as I perceive it. Partly enforced by the auto-box and how you drive it as a result, maybe. Even Nick said that you could tell the engine was clearly more attuned to an auto-box.
Maybe you'd rather push red-hot needles into your eyeballs than drive an auto, but I like the overall R75V8 package better!

Insurance on an agreed valuation basis is cheaper for the Rover here in Holland too. 1.75% instead of 2.00% of value for a ZT, but the same basic 3rd party legal requirement part of the premium, for some reason (100 quid). Illogical. No regional Post-Code weightings. Don't know how that compares with the UK ?

David

SteveTD
27-11-2017, 02:46 PM
I've had both. As a daily driver the Rover is much nicer. Interior is nicer too. So is the bumper. And the Vortex alloys.....! :)

David
27-11-2017, 02:53 PM
I've had both. As a daily driver the Rover is much nicer. Interior is nicer too. So is the bumper. And the Vortex alloys.....! :)
You forgot the nice plastic 'oak', Steve ;).
In an ideal world, one of each would be the answer
... by which I mean R75V8, ZT 260, ZT 385/400 plus Tourer variants of 'em all of course, and on the seventh day the Lord said "useth My SV-RS".

David

scooter
27-11-2017, 05:24 PM
You would need to know how the car has been stored its not good to leave a car for a long time without using it. Lent my 208GTB Turbo to a friend for three years so it would be used, kept clean and taken for good runs to keep it in good order. Its amazing how bits go hard, seals start to leak and suspension bushes get torn due to being sitting in the one place for a long time. Short runs cause no end of problems with internal corrosion inside components that are not truly up to temp.

Black_Betty
27-11-2017, 07:04 PM
£250.00/yr for fully comprehensive for me here in the UK, but I'm a 60yr old dinosaur with a million years NCB.
I haven't (never will) have a 'black box' fitted, as I'd probably have my insurance revoked within the week the way I drive Black Betty (sideways) :)

Tim
28-11-2017, 10:11 AM
Gayton will not be interested, we were in discussions with them a few years ago with the 'Geneva' 75, Tom the owner at the time wanted to keep it but was not using it. Tom was happy to pay to get it to them etc but they said it was not of interest. They had the first and last. :)

Maybe Beaulieu or Gaydon should have look after it? At least it would show the public they exist.

Steve

scooter
28-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Offered the ZT520 to Gaydon but they did not want it.

Robbie75
01-12-2017, 10:07 PM
It's #702 Nich.

Nich
01-12-2017, 11:47 PM
It's #702 Nich.

Many thanks Robbie.

Nich.

Nich
04-12-2017, 08:16 PM
I've moved the discussion on supercharging auto box cars to a separate thread:

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?17255-Supercharging-options-with-an-auto-box

and made it a 'sticky'

Nich.

David
06-01-2019, 09:46 PM
Still for sale. It has to be worth a punt...
I know Andy Greenhalgh (AndyG) and one or two others have had a crack at talking them down. If I'm to believe what has been posted here, 25K was the last offer I heard that someone tried and was 'told where to go'.

What's a fair price? No way of saying; it's unique with almost no miles. Only thing is if you use it and enjoy it won't stay like that, as neither will the price it could command in the future, in fact pretty quickly. So it all depends if you are into 'stamp-collecting', or owning a car for driving, I suppose!

David