PDA

View Full Version : Premium bumper

YorksMG2016
05-02-2017, 06:23 PM
Dear All

For those who have the MGR Premium bumper (not Roewe or MG7) one fitted to their car - how do you keep water/moisture out of your front indicators?
The seals I currently have seem to be about as effective as the side wing indicator seals! (i.e. not very)

Thanks

Andrew

SCP440
05-02-2017, 06:40 PM
I don't think this is a problem unique to the premium bumpers, my normal bumper has the same problem. I replaced both of mine and they are just as bad after a few months.

Next time I take the bumper off I plan to use silicone grease on the seals as this can be quit effective.

Steve

David
05-02-2017, 07:10 PM
Dear All

For those who have the MGR Premium bumper (not Roewe or MG7) one fitted to their car - how do you keep water/moisture out of your front indicators?
The seals I currently have seem to be about as effective as the side wing indicator seals! (i.e. not very)

Thanks

Andrew
I've given up trying. Bought some new ones and added sealant all around the joint to the clear glass just in case, vaselined the bulb seal rubber and patted myself on the back .... until it rained again :(

David

SCP440
05-02-2017, 07:48 PM
This is not a problem unique to our cars, I have a customer with a 3 year old Merc and that has had numerous new lenses under warranty because of the same fault. Maybe rain is wetter these days?

Steve

David
05-02-2017, 10:21 PM
OK. Just taken on old indicator unit to test (using some lateral thinking).
If there is a leak to let water in, the same must apply in the reverse direction, so ...

I took it into the kitchen, filled it full with water (!) and fitted the bulb unit back in. No sealants, no greasing anywhere.
Much to my surprise no water leaked out anywhere until I shook it vigorously and water then came out of the connector socket.
Not a lot each shake, but enough I guess. Everywhere else was bone dry. Half an hour later, still no other leakage.

Tomorrow I'll check the other one I replaced last year to be sure it does the same and then report back.

David

Bainzi
06-02-2017, 01:20 AM
I had the same problem of the off side light filling up with water, fixed it by drilling 3 holes across the bottom. No more water 👍

YorksMG2016
06-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys, Bainzi's solution sounds like the one, but I'm keen to hear what David comes back with

Andrew

David
06-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Thanks guys, Bainzi's solution sounds like the one, but I'm keen to hear what David comes back with

Andrew
Sorry, couldn't get around to testing the other one today. Tomorrow I will !

David

E-B
14-02-2017, 01:15 AM
I just bought new indicators.

Tim
16-02-2017, 10:26 AM
E-B, why you still blue?

Have I missed your questionnaire?

I just bought new indicators.

David
08-04-2017, 10:22 AM
Back on the subject of water leaking into the indicator units (better late than never), trying now 6 units, 2 new, I am 100% certain that it is the rubber seal which should get compressed to seal when the bayonet fitting is pushed and turned to lock it. The problem appears to be that the seal goes "sloppy". A new one barely turns on the lamp holder. Used ones have lots of play and feel, well, 'used' ! The inner diameter no longer grips onto the shaft of the holder and the outer diameter has spread (almost 2 mm). Anything such as silicon grease or Vaseline, which both can cause extra swelling, just makes matters much worse.

Since the rubber seal appears not to be available, it is indeed a matter of new units, at least the bulb holder/seal part, or drill the holes like Bainzi says. Maybe both !

David

NOCTURNAL
09-04-2017, 04:33 PM
Back on the subject of water leaking into the indicator units (better late than never), trying now 6 units, 2 new, I am 100% certain that it is the rubber seal which should get compressed to seal when the bayonet fitting is pushed and turned to lock it. The problem appears to be that the seal goes "sloppy". A new one barely turns on the lamp holder. Used ones have lots of play and feel, well, 'used' ! The inner diameter no longer grips onto the shaft of the holder and the outer diameter has spread (almost 2 mm). Anything such as silicon grease or Vaseline, which both can cause extra swelling, just makes matters much worse.

Since the rubber seal appears not to be available, it is indeed a matter of new units, at least the bulb holder/seal part, or drill the holes like Bainzi says. Maybe both !

David

Could it be that the new ones just a newer better seal than the originals anyway David or ar the other ones you are testing NEW OLD STOCK?? failing that , could you post a pic of what you are refferring to ? as surely a 'gasket' of an appropriate foam-rubber material or even an 'o'ring could be used depending on the exact fittment?

NIck