PDA

View Full Version : Hi from me

harryh733
30-10-2016, 08:36 PM
Hello all, I was recommended to join the forum by some fellow MG Fans as I'm currently on the hunt for ZT 260 saloon. I have wanted one since my teens and finally have enough put by to hopefully get one. I'm now 25 and also own a classic mini which is a world away from the power of a V8. Trying to find one for sale is proving difficult, I have only found one at present which is the Monogram one on eBay, I have read that the paint isn't original though?

What sort of price should I be paying at the moment too? I have saved and saved but really only want to buy something that won't loose me anything apart from maintenance, as In if I come to sell it then I won't be making huge losses!

Any advice or help would be great.

Thanks.

Harry

AndyG
30-10-2016, 08:39 PM
WELCOME to the Two Sixties http://thumbsnap.com/s/hYchpI4Y.jpg

MG ZT260 FAQ (http://www.spunagain.co.uk/ZT260page.html)
Two-sixties Blog (http://two-sixties-blog.com/)
260s/R75V8 Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/260owners/)

Public Section (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/forumdisplay.php?150-Public-Section)

MG ZT/ZT-T and Rover 75 V8 Buyers Guide (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?14616-MG-ZT-ZT-T-and-Rover-75-V8-Buyers-Guide)
Items For Sale in Public Section (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/forumdisplay.php?90-Items-for-sale)
List of MG ZT/ZTT/75 V8s For Sale (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?13272-List-of-MG-ZT-ZTT-75-V8s-FOR-SALE)

We have many threads in the Members Section that will help you when you own a 260/75V8

If you have other any question please ask on the forum.

Malcolmr
30-10-2016, 08:49 PM
Welcome from Downunder and good luck finding your car. Andy's list is a good start, and John N will be able to help you too. He has a great capacity for finding good cars!

colintf
30-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Hi and welcome :thumb

Jez Marsh
30-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Welcome and good luck.

pete260
30-10-2016, 09:12 PM
Hi and welcome,my personal advice is try to buy the best condition and most original you can find,or if it is modified most people keep the original parts try and include them in the purchase,i know this is a personal thing but you stated you do not want to lose money[who does] and the older these cars get the more collectable they will be and the best prices on nearly all collectable cars are when they are as close to factory spec as possible,i am not referring to supercharged cars as the factory did start to make s/c all be it very few.Hope you find what you are looking for you are certainly on the right place for info.Pete

harryh733
30-10-2016, 09:19 PM
Hi and welcome,my personal advice is try to buy the best condition and most original you can find,or if it is modified most people keep the original parts try and include them in the purchase,i know this is a personal thing but you stated you do not want to lose money[who does] and the older these cars get the more collectable they will be and the best prices on nearly all collectable cars are when they are as close to factory spec as possible,i am not referring to supercharged cars as the factory did start to make s/c all be it very few.Hope you find what you are looking for you are certainly on the right place for info.Pete

Thanks Pete, I do want to find one in factory spec, or as close to as possible as that makes it more special to me as well. It's tough as not many seem to crop up and so finding the right one could take a while.

There is this one which looks fairly standard to me... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-MGZT-260-4-6-litre-V8-modern-classic-investment-/152279550728?hash=item2374918b08%3Ag%3Ay4IAAOSw3xJ Xoc09

Price is quite high but looks nice.

simon.goode88
31-10-2016, 07:04 AM
You'll also find them for sale on here by owners who have cherished them so you won't get one that's been abused, only thing different from stock on ours is the xpower exhausts. They always put a smile on my face and i always look forward to driving it

Jez Marsh
31-10-2016, 07:12 AM
Ice units get changed as I did but bolt reversible and have originals.
The 9k car fairly priced if all the common faults sorted. Watch the wheels. Think a lot have the v6 wheels. Good hunting.

pete260
31-10-2016, 09:45 AM
Hi Harry,as Jez says for a well sorted car that price is about right,i do not know the car others on here may do, might be worth emailing the seller for the last 3 numbers of the vin and posting them on here,as with any limited made vehicle some parts can be harder to get and very expensive so by buying cheaper is not always the way to go.I am not saying everything is spot on with that car It needs checking over very carefully if you are thinking of proceeding,where abouts in the country are you?

harryh733
31-10-2016, 01:25 PM
Hi Harry,as Jez says for a well sorted car that price is about right,i do not know the car others on here may do, might be worth emailing the seller for the last 3 numbers of the vin and posting them on here,as with any limited made vehicle some parts can be harder to get and very expensive so by buying cheaper is not always the way to go.I am not saying everything is spot on with that car It needs checking over very carefully if you are thinking of proceeding,where abouts in the country are you?

Thanks Pete, thats the sort of money I was thinking of spending but obviously want to make sure that I get one that's been looked after and had work done at that price, it's the most I will have ever spent on a car so I want to really make sure I get a decent one that will give me fun.

I'm based in Norfolk so not very close to anywhere.

pete260
31-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Hi Harry,i do not pretend to be an expert on these cars but learning all the time,thats why this forum is so good I cannot recall any topic where people have been negative to each other not like some other forums,i am sure when you find a car you want to look at you will get plenty of members offering sound advice and what to look for,infact I have seen members offer to look at cars for others especially if they are a long way from your home.Good luck with your car search.

harryh733
31-10-2016, 01:53 PM
Hi Harry,i do not pretend to be an expert on these cars but learning all the time,thats why this forum is so good I cannot recall any topic where people have been negative to each other not like some other forums,i am sure when you find a car you want to look at you will get plenty of members offering sound advice and what to look for,infact I have seen members offer to look at cars for others especially if they are a long way from your home.Good luck with your car search.

It seems like a great great place from what I've seen already.

Can anyone tell me if the flip paint on the 260 currently on eBay is original? I have read some sites saying they didn't do 260s in the flip paint and others that say they did.

I messages the seller who sounds quite quite genuine and he says it's had a new AC compressor, new rear springs and a rear brake overhaul, he didn't know if the rear axle oil or gearbox oil had been done.
its in Bournemouth which is over 200 miles from me so it's a difficult one, it's bidding at the moment, is be tempted if the price was right but as you said earlier it's worth finding the right one.

The only mod id be looking to do would be the X power exhausts.

Jez Marsh
31-10-2016, 04:19 PM
Think vin 143.
The thread's suggest may have been trophy blue resprayed by someone who paints good cars but in a non original MGR flip colour.

If threads are correct about colour then it would harm value to a collector looking for original spec cars. As a driving machine that looks good its fine. Imho.

David
31-10-2016, 04:26 PM
Think vin 143.
The thread's suggest may have been trophy blue resprayed by someone who paints good cars but in a non original MGR flip colour.

If threads are correct about colour then it would harm value to a collector looking for original spec cars. As a driving machine that looks good its fine. Imho. Maybe someone could check the database for the original colour? On the basis of a final VIN numbers you could pretty well deduce the whole vehicle code-number and go to the production data webpage!

David

ROBZTV8
31-10-2016, 05:01 PM
Hi Harry and welcome. There is a 260 saloon for sale on the car and classic website it looks like a good car low mileage x power grey 18500 miles and seems to be a standard non modified car and looking for around 10k might be worth a look good luck �� Rob

Burwell Mike
31-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Hi Harry,

Build Records for 143 show that the colour is Spectre (Chromactive). There were 3 V8ZT's and 1 ZTT in this colour. It is described as a Lilac with Blue and grey travel.

Mike

harryh733
31-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Hi Harry,

Build Records for 143 show that the colour is Spectre (Chromactive). There were 3 V8ZT's and 1 ZTT in this colour. It is described as a Lilac with Blue and grey travel.

Mike

Hey Mike, thank you for checking, so that means it is in original colour? Chromactive is the flip colour paint from memory?

Its sounding more tempting

Burwell Mike
31-10-2016, 06:06 PM
No problem Harry. Certainly looks like it is original if the car is 143. The build date was 2/12/2003 which ties up with the first registration date. I think these colours were variously called Monogram, Chromactive and flip.

Good luck with your search and hope you will be enjoying a 260 soon.

Mike

David
31-10-2016, 06:30 PM
According to the blurb, Monogram colours could be grouped into :
"Chromescent, Chromactive, Kinetic and Supertallic (Special metallics, micatallics and prearlescent)"

.. so that's really clear now, isn't it

:ash

Get your teeth around this:
http://www.xpowerforums.com/Monogram%20Scheme%20-%20personalise%20your%20car.htm

David

SteveTD
31-10-2016, 07:26 PM
Hey Mike, thank you for checking, so that means it is in original colour? Chromactive is the flip colour paint from memory?

Its sounding more tempting

no it's not an original colour - there are several threads about this car and I wrote on this very forum about this car last night.

Burwell Mike
31-10-2016, 09:22 PM
no it's not an original colour - there are several threads about this car and I wrote on this very forum about this car last night.

I was quoting from the factory build records which confirm that #143 left the factory in Spectre. (Code IAA).

James Taylors comprehensive work on Rover 75's and ZT's also confirms that 3 V8 ZT's were built in Spectre and a total of 87 V8's in Monogram colours. The eBay picture looks similar to Spectre but very happy to be corrected if it is not, or maybe we are talking about different cars (ie not #143 at all). I also have a copy of the 2004 sales brochure which lists Monogram colours as a factory option (albeit special order).

I guess the only way to be sure is to see what the factory colour code plate says and compare the colour of the car on eBay to other IAA spec (Spectre) MG Rover cars.

harryh733
31-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Sorry Steve, I got mixed up on what I had read about what car, my fault for reading posts late at night. So what colour is Spectre? I need to get learning :P

David
31-10-2016, 09:35 PM
Well there's a guy in Cincinnati who'll flog you a spray-can of Spectre IAA if you like. His site shows what it and most all the other Monogram colours (colors?) look like ... ish ... or not.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/mg-rover/2004/all-models/

David

stevenw
01-11-2016, 12:44 PM
Sorry Steve, I got mixed up on what I had read about what car, my fault for reading posts late at night. So what colour is Spectre? I need to get learning :P

If you go onto the 75andztclub forum and look in the How-to forum and look in the Bodywork section,the fourth thread down entitled" The many colours of the Rover 75 and MG ZT"will show you photos of the whole selection of colours available including Spectre.

On this Forum have a look in the public section items for sale,then click on "List of MG ZT/ZTT/75 V8s for sale"and look on page 17

David
01-11-2016, 01:01 PM
If you go onto the 75andztclub forum and look in the How-to forum and look in the Bodywork section,the fourth thread down entitled" The many colours of the Rover 75 and MG ZT"will show you photos of the whole selection of colours available including Spectre.

On this Forum have a look in the public section items for sale,then click on "List of MG ZT/ZTT/75 V8s for sale"and look on page 17

Thanks. Interesting and comprehensive!

David

harryh733
07-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Hi all, still searching and researching.

The monogram one that ends tomorrow on eBay is tempting me, not sure if that's a good thing or not. I know it's had a spray in its life but the car itself really stands out to me, has everything I'd want on it and the colour just looks great to me. My only concern would be that it would be worthless if I came to sell it someday. I'm not bothered about buying overly as an investment, would just want it to hold its value. Am I being stupid or is it potentially a good one to go for?

I saw the link link posted in the for sale section that apparently has more info on the very car, but I can't click it due to being a non paid member. If anyone could give me some insight that would be fab.

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?16021-143-or-165-For-Sale-in-Bournemouth&highlight=channel

Thanks.

harryh733
07-11-2016, 12:57 PM
As I posted my last reply it disappeared off eBay. Damn

stevenw
07-11-2016, 01:46 PM
Private Message sent.

AndyG
07-11-2016, 05:45 PM
, but I can't click it due to being a non paid member. If anyone could give me some insight that would be fab.

There is no payment (to the forum) involved in becoming a green member, Just own a 260/75V8 and be a member of MGOC and you are in :)